There is no introductions forum so, here's mine

D Ryan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
D Ryan
I'm old. 60 to be exact. My biz partner is a cfi, has his own 172. I've been in aviation all my life in one form or another, be it in avionics repair or in the military as an air controller (+ my dad was a pilot).

I suck as a pilot (my attempted landings are a disaster with winds!), but I'm great on the radio! ha! (At least I'm good at something!) I have 12 hours logged as a student, then my youngest son wanted to follow in my foot steps.

Then on my last flight with my friend at night on a whim, I was horrified (I wanted to kill my partner for this! lol/jk I can't deal with the disorientation that night flight brings... I may as well be filing an imc flight plan and ignoring the outside windows). No way in hell I'm going to fly at night, alone for ppl privileges. Screw that. I'd rather be in the clouds focusing on instruments with some daylight! It's just me. Not the gig. Dark skies are not my friend. I just hate this. (strange though, when I was younger I used to climb radio towers replacing light bulbs - AT NIGHT - ... back then I was invincible.)

You folks that do this for real... I salute you for overcoming anything and everything related to this field. You have my ultimate respect.

My son now has more time than I do, and my friend/biz partner just got recertified at the local flight school with his cfi rating in May. The time + money spent, was a lot of fun, but I'm glad I decided to focus on my son's education/flight time instead.... As long as his grades in college are decent. Me? After further evaluation I've found the only way I could fly is with basicmed... which directed me to the local eaa... still... It's somebody else's airplane. After all this bs, I find that I am nothing more than a safety advocate, as well as an observer. Better to be on the ground wishing you were airborne, rather than the other way around. I can fly with my partner in crime anytime I want. But I'll never do it again at night. Thanks for listening.
Doug.

You came to the right place. There are a lot of personalities here.

Please don’t tell me you did ATC in the Air Force. Too many of them all ready on this forum! ;) Welcome to POA.

You ‘might’ reconsider if/when you complete your training. It’s pretty awesome, although it’s not for everyone. If you’re frustrated and hitting someone me roadblocks, everyone does, hopefully you plow thru it.

Thanks all. I was not airforce atc. Think USN at sea. I was the opposite brand that damn few knew about that had a log book. Those with military experience will know where I'm coming from. And thanks for the posts!

You suck.

That is solely based on your first two sentences.

-Signed a 60 year young kid.

PS. Welcome aboard.

You ‘might’ reconsider if/when you complete your training. It’s pretty awesome, although it’s not for everyone. If you’re frustrated and hitting someone me roadblocks, everyone does, hopefully you plow thru it.
I'm a realist. With my health, I'm not gonna try to end up on kathryns report. CHF is a real thing. I'd rather sit on the side of the runway eating a $100 hamburger watching my son take off. It is what it is. Faking it = death. haha. That said, at least I can fly with my friend! He lets me sit left seat! Only if I had done this 20 years ago... I would be paying more attention to my health. Then again not having to pay for fuel for the 172, and instead diverting the same funds to the flight school for my son? Much better. Thank you all for the nice welcome.

I'll post a selfie with my biz partner this week. I'm not that whatever jwj dude.

-Signed a 60 year young kid.

Yep. But I recognized my limitations and opted out. I just hope my boy doesn't kill himself! (he's 20 with 14 hrs).
I love it! That's me. It's all good though. I've got friends that were axed from flying just for med issues (and scared of even trying to get a class 3!)... I mean it's like we're a group or something? EAA has been a great community, but I don't trust the aircraft. I'll probably get blasted for that comment. No worries.

Dang... Starting with a rant.
That's a whole new formula.

Welcome!
Thank you 6pc. I've actually been here a long time lurking. It has been quite a life. Blurting it all out there at once was the way I needed to go. I simply needed a reason to. Once I came up with the reasons why/why not in my head for doing what life told me to do... I finally did it. It's been a ton of fun in the process. At least I have found a direction! And on the plus side, it's working. Thank you for your comments!

No worries about that. Good risk management includes listening to the voice that is saying, "I am not comfortable with this" and taking appropriate action.
I was gonna say something. Nevermind. Lol.

This part of your post confused me the most.

....After further evaluation I've found the only way I could fly is with basicmed... which directed me to the local eaa... still... It's somebody else's airplane. ...
Doug.

Why or how does BasicMed direct you to the EAA?

Hello Doug! I'm one of dem USAF controllers @Velocity173 is so envious about. ;)

Nothing wrong with what you're doing and feeling. You could really get involved with the local EAA chapter and be around aviation all you want. And you might meet others that feel the same as you. New friends too. Nothing wrong staying on the sidelines if that's your choice, but lurking here and flying with your partner, well, it sounds like you enjoy being around aviation. So give the local chapter a shot, or just hang around the airport. Enjoy yourself!

Oh yeah, 60 ain't old! I'll be 70 next month and I'm an active CFI.

Think USN at sea. I was the opposite brand that damn few knew about that had a log book. Those with military experience will know where I'm coming from
Welcome, sounds like you and your son will have lots of fun in years to come..

Side note: USN hung me out to dry. Readers Digest version.

The reserve squadron I was in was slated for decommission. They said if you have 15 years service they would retire you with benefits. I said OK. 4 years active 11 reserves I'm in. They checked my records and I had 3 years 11 months 29 days active and 11 years reserve, "sorry you are 24 hours short, no benefits". I just hung my head and walked away.

I'm a realist. With my health, I'm not gonna try to end up on kathryns report. CHF is a real thing. I'd rather sit on the side of the runway eating a $100 hamburger watching my son take off. It is what it is. Faking it = death. haha. That said, at least I can fly with my friend! He lets me sit left seat! Only if I had done this 20 years ago... I would be paying more attention to my health. Then again not having to pay for fuel for the 172, and instead diverting the same funds to the flight school for my son? Much better. Thank you all for the nice welcome.

You're a great American and a great dad!

I'm old. 60 to be exact. My biz partner is a cfi, has his own 172. I've been in aviation all my life in one form or another, be it in avionics repair or in the military as an air controller (+ my dad was a pilot).

I suck as a pilot (my attempted landings are a disaster with winds!), but I'm great on the radio! ha! (At least I'm good at something!) I have 12 hours logged as a student, then my youngest son wanted to follow in my foot steps.

Then on my last flight with my friend at night on a whim, I was horrified (I wanted to kill my partner for this! lol/jk I can't deal with the disorientation that night flight brings... I may as well be filing an imc flight plan and ignoring the outside windows). No way in hell I'm going to fly at night, alone for ppl privileges. Screw that. I'd rather be in the clouds focusing on instruments with some daylight! It's just me. Not the gig. Dark skies are not my friend. I just hate this. (strange though, when I was younger I used to climb radio towers replacing light bulbs - AT NIGHT - ... back then I was invincible.)

You folks that do this for real... I salute you for overcoming anything and everything related to this field. You have my ultimate respect.

My son now has more time than I do, and my friend/biz partner just got recertified at the local flight school with his cfi rating in May. The time + money spent, was a lot of fun, but I'm glad I decided to focus on my son's education/flight time instead.... As long as his grades in college are decent. Me? After further evaluation I've found the only way I could fly is with basicmed... which directed me to the local eaa... still... It's somebody else's airplane. After all this bs, I find that I am nothing more than a safety advocate, as well as an observer. Better to be on the ground wishing you were airborne, rather than the other way around. I can fly with my partner in crime anytime I want. But I'll never do it again at night. Thanks for listening.
Doug.

Welcome to the joint, Kid. I wouldn’t be judging your landings to harshly at 12 hours. And wouldn’t be throwing night flying under the bus. Sounds like your buddy took you into the ‘dark.’ Enjoying the view of the city lights at night is a different thing than going out into the wilderness. Get up there with your CFI. Did you do your entire Navy AC time doing CATCC on the boat? I was an AC in the Navy for two years. Just two because I was an other service re-enlistment, did 4 years in the Marine Corps as a controller before that

Welcome to POA from another 60 year old. I was Navy Airborne Intercept Controller on the Hawkeye. We had 2 log books - 1 for flight time and 1 for Intercepts.

Welcome to POA from another 60 year old. I was Navy Airborne Intercept Controller on the Hawkeye. We had 2 log books - 1 for flight time and 1 for Intercepts.

If ya get 5 actual intercepts do they call ya Ace?

Please don’t tell me you did ATC in the Air Force. Too many of them all ready on this forum! ;) Welcome to POA.

<------ Adds Velocity173 to the people to kill list.

Welcome Ryan. Unlike some people, :rolleyes: don't let your jealousy cloud your judgment of USAF controllers.

Ah yes, I see the problem. USAF controllers don't get wings, we get a tower then a tower with a star above it then a tower with a wreath around the star. I think it is probably chrome plated zinc, not lead. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, I see the problem. USAF controllers don't get wings, we get a tower then a tower with a star above it then a tower with a wreath around the star. I think it is probably chrome plated zinc, not lead. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

C8E5744E-6E90-471C-895A-1CA0B8530E1A.jpeg

I think pewter.

I think they haven't used that one since long before I retired in '06.

Dang. They didn’t give us nuthin. No ‘tinsel’ at all. Navy had that microphone thingy with the wings on the Rank patch

Back