Set up for tailwind landing

Excellent job. That barfing in the pattern thing was a big distraction. You managed it right.

Always toss a little short and soft practice in from time to time when you don’t technically need it, just to keep those brain cells from getting rusty.

Excellent job. That barfing in the pattern thing was a big distraction. You managed it right.

Always toss a little short and soft practice in from time to time when you don’t technically need it, just to keep those brain cells from getting rusty.

And crosswind too.

And crosswind too.
I practice the crosswind stuff. I find them challenging but enjoyable. I admittedly don’t practice short snf soft like I should as home is big and wide. As Is practice places. I will make a point to request with my cfi to re review probably this weekend.
+ 1 to the narrower comment. That part of “the look” was attention getting and set me up predictably higher on final first try.

Land into the wind, accept the slope.
What, really? In my experience, even a modest slope easily beats light tailwind. Sparky Imeson says 2% reduces takeoff distance by 11%, 4% by 19.5%. The diagram in the FAA handbook 8083-25A shows an increase of takeoff distance by 20% from a tailwhind that is 7% of takeoff speed. So, let's say you take off at 65 knots. Then a 4% slope compensates about a 10 knots tailwind. Now of course most airports are 2% or below, and nobody wants to screw with tailwinds on runways that flat. In any case, Chart Supplement nee AF/D is where the slope is.

Now of course most airports are 2% or below...

That’s the real kicker for “rules of thumb”. If you are sitting on a runway with a 4% slope, you’re going to know it, and it’ll be obvious the slope wins.

That’s not a small slope even if “4%” as a number looks small to our brains in text.

Would be interesting to have an easily accessible database where a query could be done of public runways with a slope above 2%. I don’t think you’re going to find a whole lot of them.

I don’t know of any way to query the public FAA data for that one.

Sparky operated off of some very interesting strips, especially after he left here and moved to Idaho. Probably the one place in the US that has way more than average numbers of oddball slopes on public strips. Alaska too, I suppose? Not all that common anywhere else though.

And of course you know this, but folks from some areas never see them, a lot of the “one way” airports and strips out West here are not because of slope, but because there’s a big fat mountain at one end of them.

Terrain dictates the in and out end of the runway, since you can’t out-climb the big rock in the way.

Many are also “iffy” going one way and “nice” the other, which is how my mind read the data for the OPs original airport in question...

Slope, obstacle at one end, displaced threshold, and an odd ball approach angle all listed for going that downhill direction, all indicated caution, but wasn’t as big a deal as a 14,000’+ MSL mountain staring at you off of the departure end. :)

Would be interesting to have an easily accessible database where a query could be done of public runways with a slope above 2%. I don’t think you’re going to find a whole lot of them.

I don’t know of any way to query the public FAA data for that one.

Hmm. Interestingly, runway grade info doesn't appear to be in the NFDC data. I guess the chart supplement must pull it from another source? Paging @John Collins, @Brad Z...

You know, you and Bob Gardner are right, on the second thought. I don't remember when I landed on a truly steep runway. Even KLAM is only 1.5%. KAXX is 0.6%! People take tailwind there because of the terrain.

Although, some runways have undulations that are not reflected in the Supplement. Sandia (1N1) is like that, there's a climb towards the old FBO building side for about 30% of the length (the east end is flat).

Back