I hope they recover quickly and are OK!

Wishing you both a speedy and full recovery!

Yeah, they’ll let you fall asleep though once you do, it’s time to take your vitals.

I had the automatic thing hooked up to me. At mid-night the nurse came in and took it off. An hour later she came back in to do the vitals herself.....o_O

Sounds about right. A hospital is NOT the place to go to get some rest.

Get well quickly, Gary. At least well enough to get out of the hospital. You'll get more rest at home.

Get well soon Gary. Am in shock over hearing this news, as are probably several dozen others. I know of no other pilot that is as diligent and takes things as serious as you. For this to happen to someone as careful as you has my complete attention.

I think “Guerrino” is cooler than “Gary”, really.

But I get the whole name shortening thing since I’m not really a “Nate” either.

Last edited:
Guerrino works better when you're trying to convince someone that you'll break their legs for non-compliance. ;)

Gary, I hope they get you into rehab soon and that you can continue to be on the mend.

Guerrino works better when you're trying to convince someone that you'll break their legs for non-compliance. ;)

Gary, I hope they get you into rehab soon and that you can continue to be on the mend.

:) just the laugh I need with a fractured sternum..... painful

Hope get out of this hospital today or tomorrow and get to Rehab. If not I’m headed home with full time care. Either way it’s time for me get out of this crazy place.

Hope get out of this hospital today or tomorrow and get to Rehab. If not I’m headed home with full time care. Either way it’s time for me get out of this crazy place.

I'm just glad that your sense of humor isn't broken! :)

Definitely hope you can get out one way or another and get to resting and recovery. Hospitals have their purposes but those purposes come to a close, at which point the best thing you can do is leave. This became most obvious to me after we had kids. The hospital was a good place to birth them since there were some risk factors, and then once everything was deemed fine, best thing to do was go home.

First, I am glad to hear you guys are on the mend.
Second, I imagine I am not the only one here hoping to see a thread with as much detail as you are willing to provide on how this unfolded.
When I saw the proximity of the plane to the airport, I thought "Gary had so little time and he took the option that a lot of people don't and he and his wife are alive because of it"
At any rate, outstanding job getting the plane down and saving your and your wife's lives.

First, I am glad to hear you guys are on the mend.
Second, I imagine I am not the only one here hoping to see a thread with as much detail as you are willing to provide on how this unfolded.
When I saw the proximity of the plane to the airport, I thought "Gary had so little time and he took the option that a lot of people don't and he and his wife are alive because of it"
At any rate, outstanding job getting the plane down and saving your and your wife's lives.

I'd agree that I'm sure that we all would like to get as much detail as we can on what happened so that we can all learn from it. One of the worst situations that any of us could end up in, and to survive is an accomplishment in and of itself. But the FAA/NTSB need to do their thing as well.

One thing that has come to mind with this that we should all remember. I think most of us (not referencing Gary at all, but referencing most pilots, including myself) are guilty to some degree of thinking "Today isn't the day I'm going to crash" when we get into an airplane. However, we need to always plan for and be ready for the crash, because we don't know if today is our day. Proper training and mindset are important. One thing I always do before taking the runway is remind myself of my decision matrix for what to do if an engine fails at different points in the takeoff, what speeds I hit, etc. This decision matrix is pushed more heavily in the twin world since it's more complicated (engine failure in a single = you go down, not always true in a twin), but reality is it applies to singles just as much. Once you've got some altitude you have more room to work with, but an engine failure shortly after takeoff is about the worst thing that can happen to any of us in any airplane.

So let's go take some time and practice our engine our procedures in whatever we fly.

yup....and have a plan. Find that spot to land straight ahead...before you roll down the runway. Google earth your spot....and have a plan.

I'd agree that I'm sure that we all would like to get as much detail as we can on what happened so that we can all learn from it. One of the worst situations that any of us could end up in, and to survive is an accomplishment in and of itself. But the FAA/NTSB need to do their thing as well.

One thing that has come to mind with this that we should all remember. I think most of us (not referencing Gary at all, but referencing most pilots, including myself) are guilty to some degree of thinking "Today isn't the day I'm going to crash" when we get into an airplane. However, we need to always plan for and be ready for the crash, because we don't know if today is our day. Proper training and mindset are important. One thing I always do before taking the runway is remind myself of my decision matrix for what to do if an engine fails at different points in the takeoff, what speeds I hit, etc. This decision matrix is pushed more heavily in the twin world since it's more complicated (engine failure in a single = you go down, not always true in a twin), but reality is it applies to singles just as much. Once you've got some altitude you have more room to work with, but an engine failure shortly after takeoff is about the worst thing that can happen to any of us in any airplane.

So let's go take some time and practice our engine our procedures in whatever we fly.

Well said. In the wisdom of Eyeore (the A.A. Milne one, not the Disney one) "Funny thing accidents. You never have them until you're having them." It could be ANY day.

One of my many CFIs had been an airline captain and USAF prior to that. The first time I flew with him was in a glider. I never really thouhgt a whole lot about an "emergency briefing", other than running things through my head prior to takeoff (if engine quits here, or here, or here, then do this, or this, or this.) But listening to him go through his mental checklist was both eye-opening and humbling (premature release of tow at certain altitudes - the glider equivalent of an engine failure, airspeeds at certain points of the rwy, wind conditions that affect an emergency maneuver, where are the best places to land in case of an early release, who does what and why, ...) I learned a whole lot that first flight with him on how to approach flight safety in a thorough, professional, manner. It's more than just going through a checklist as quickly as possible, it's also knowing 'why'.

One of my many CFIs had been an airline captain and USAF prior to that. The first time I flew with him was in a glider. I never really thouhgt a whole lot about an "emergency briefing", other than running things through my head prior to takeoff (if engine quits here, or here, or here, then do this, or this, or this.) But listening to him go through his mental checklist was both eye-opening and humbling (premature release of tow at certain altitudes - the glider equivalent of an engine failure, airspeeds at certain points of the rwy, wind conditions that affect an emergency maneuver, where are the best places to land in case of an early release, who does what and why, ...) I learned a whole lot that first flight with him on how to approach flight safety in a thorough, professional, manner. It's more than just going through a checklist as quickly as possible, it's also knowing 'why'.
Too few pilots I have right seated with do the pre-takeoff briefing of "if engine quits here, or here, or here, then do this, or this, or this". And I wish they would.

Takeoff conditions can vary so much depending on field conditions and weather. And we can't/should not fall on complacency and habit.

So like Ted and Matthew discuss, I encourage all reading this make a point to review what they will do when "___ happens during takeoff" before they cross the hold short line.

Too few pilots I have right seated with do the pre-takeoff briefing of "if engine quits here, or here, or here, then do this, or this, or this". And I wish they would.

Takeoff conditions can vary so much depending on field conditions and weather. And we can't/should not fall on complacency and habit.

So like Ted and Matthew discuss, I encourage all reading this make a point to review what they will do when "___ happens during takeoff" before they cross the hold short line.

Someone, Doc Bruce maybe?, said he puts emergency landing spots into his GPS so he can just hit "nearest" if he's able.

I don't verbalize, doesn't mean I'm not doing it. I had smoke in the cockpit at about 300' after takeoff. Knew my options even though I don't say it out loud.

I fly single pilot. If I talked to myself the passengers/med crew would all think I am losing it....:lol::lol:

I've talked to three planes that tried "making things interesting" (2 were rental mag failure in the pattern 152's and they won't climb when they fail completely, and one was smoke in the cockpit) ... all three were told," I'm going to be just fine, but if YOU act up anymore, there's a significant chance YOU won't.":confused::rolleyes:

I'm interested about your opinion now of the seat belt and harness - might they have functioned better or are you satisfied the outcome was as good as possible ? I ask because of my concern especially of the inertial reel belts in some of the planes I fly - seems they could be more robust.

Find that spot to land straight ahead...before you roll down the runway. Google earth your spot....and have a plan.
The problem is that sometimes the obstructions move...
Tk_v8_HjiKE039Vlev12kgeIal-lQM0Mlo1wxJs905RXkVYuyN-deHWN7nv5R7ap5jKk2DJR9_S5Wng__k5OotoFyT3uVVrNsMRS6DMlht5gPDNroAoJCzV-EkfN7cxiSg1VnlGcXvADmhaAj0cy5vcCxdM0l1si89M-4HXORlZSGVEIsZ_eIR-cceNSzPrQegtLHBY3dLSjLsuxshtwITPeYKN2ArrM2KQKI2bFQQEi1TkNgP_RAu-AfdzQleTR0QjdsFPAl8PYpq17JOxQah5JT3RHDzCPLOGLQB7XYpK5WhgmYTYuSIsnILlL1S0oYi5gKwi1nxuZA90FfXx8q2LecKaP3-_O_5CqUpGUpyDL1va8MSWCSFCZWWhTvCcJ2mpQE8smMYXM-VvorLNpJdlgUvz0g4mrsZzV-jI9cNSJ6GQIpT0rjF5ACOtmHQA7lUc9fRvK8Z3WL_75W6sLPv5-ldGjthpBY5aTWU3xPp1HW16LcJ_cz2Gc_1aZ3oSHQoZRXE5RHSmJwQ5b0zUTpU0s3EacYe-OYSJtaKnQ95VLzDBC-NENJmb5sjB0OJtkKRf1eaGJGXs7t3quf0dt4sAPL2Iq7RUntRtidTOqw1PO4hBg5_tD3a_IKDjek99yqVcqti2nqQnIVNJ-FJRx6Sh0CjSxN9Bc=w1215-h911-no

I'm interested about your opinion now of the seat belt and harness - might they have functioned better or are you satisfied the outcome was as good as possible ?

They would have helped more than not. It was on my to-do list. Our Sundowner had shoulder belts and I wanted to add them as a minimum to the Deb.

They would have helped more than not. It was on my to-do list. Our Sundowner had shoulder belts and I wanted to add them as a minimum to the Deb.
I wish I would have moved them up in my priority list without your event ever taking place but now that it has, I am bumping that up considerably. They were on my original list but it's easy to keep prioritizing different things ahead of them. i.e. engine monitor, WAAS upgrades, ADS-B transponder, G5, etc. After my G5 HSI (already scheduled) I'm going to try to make shoulder harnesses next. Who knows how much they would have helped in your case but as you said, they would have helped more than not. Thanks for taking the time during your recovery to update us.

Just reading this now! Haven't been on here for too long, but OMG!!! So glad you and yours are still around kicking (so to speak)! Speedy recovery! 3 days till you're back in the cockpit right? ;)

I think “Guerrino” is cooler than “Gary”, really.

But I get the whole name shortening thing since I’m not really a “Nate” either.

Whatever, Natorious. ;)

Gary (or should I say Guerri? ;) ), I hope you're continuing to improve and I'm glad you managed a "good landing" in spite of the circumstances you were dealt. Well done.

Engine out on takeoff is probably the second worst nightmare scenario just behind fire while airborne. Hurray for Gary for getting both down in one pice. Heal up so we an toast your good health one of these days.

Back