Well, I puked on my checkride...

Dane R

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
drosey44
Title says it all. Had my private checkride this morning and the unusual attitudes got to me, so I gave him flight controls and took 3 minutes to puke in a bag. Finished puking, tied a knot in the bag, then threw it in the back and continued with the ride like nothing happened. Thought I'd failed then for sure but he ended up passing me! It was a pretty ugly and embarrassing scene, can't believe it had to happen to me on my freakin' checkride! Nonetheless, I'm finally a pilot after only 44 hours. Now onto Instrument!!

You probably got bonus points for pushing through it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats on passing the checkride! I'm sure you got bonus points to have had the presence of mind to:

1. bring a bag
2. use the bag (instead of puking on the DPE!)

44 hours is pretty darned good too! Well done!

Congrats, Airman. I think what passed you was you dealt with an in flight medical emergency. Well done. One of my pals said he got violently ill during his long cross country. He climbed his aircraft to eight thousand feet or so, let go the controls and did the technicolor yawn into his flight bag.

Problem was, when he was done he had no idea where he was. He figured his destination was somewhere south, and it was a big city not easily missed. So he just pointed his aircraft south and kept going until he hit the suburbs.

I am impressed by your composure. Congratulations

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I hope you had the DPE hold your beer, too! Congrats on getting that ticket. Now go puke your guts out under the hood! ;) Or, here's to hoping that your sickness is NOT linked to the difference between your eyes and ears telling you different tales, because actual IMC might not be a whole lot of fun for you. :)

giphy.gif

Congrats,you need an airplane with an auto pilot.

Congrats Dane.
Sounds like you're a true pilot.
Luckily my DPE didn't ask for many unusual atties.
For a first post, that's almost worthy of a nickname.
Should we go with Chuck?

Edit:. Or Pukey McPukeface lol.

The story would’ve been even more exciting if you said you had puked on the DPE...oh well.

Congrats anyway!

My last IPC was during a very hot Arkansas day and in a convective SIGMET. My first ILS, the double II said I don't think I could have held that glideslope as well as you (As our heads were bounding off the roofline) and we moved on. I was OK till unusual attitudes. Puked down my shirt. FBO had a shower.... clothes and all went in. It was horrible and I was very embarrassed.

Congratulations.

Now you need to become a CFI because your story will put all future applicants at ease! :)

Congratulations! Remember, there are those who have (you), those that will (others), and those that lie (everyone else).

I’ve packed doing my multi commercial training. SE under the hood on a hot bumpy day. Rrrrraaaaallllffffff!

I once had an eyelash in my eye while under the hood doing my double I checkride. Had a stream of tears. Probably only reason I passed, examiner felt bad for me.

Congrats Airman!!!!

Now get out there and commit some non-regurgitory aviation!

PS. I see you're in Dallas.... hopefully we'll find one another and I can shake your hand good and proper!

Thank you all for the congratulations!

Congrats,you need an airplane with an auto pilot.

The plane I was in did indeed have autopilot, looking back I suppose that would've been the best thing to do but I wasn't exactly thinking straight during that time LOL. My thoughts..."Don't do it. Don't do it. Keep it in. Oh crap here it comes!"

Congrats Airman!!!!

Now get out there and commit some non-regurgitory aviation!

PS. I see you're in Dallas.... hopefully we'll find one another and I can shake your hand good and proper!

Yes sir! I fly out of US Sport at Addison. Although, I am looking at renting elsewhere for time building.

Congrats! I'm surprised you actually had a bag available. Good thing for that.

Here's a good one: I don't think a DPE can fail you if you puke on him.
I mean, after that happens, he'll very likely FIND a reason to fail you, but throwing up isn't one of them.

Yes sir! I fly out of US Sport at Addison. Although, I am looking at renting elsewhere for time building.
US Sport is a good place. Glad you found them.

I will be working on some time building activities soon. If you can make your way up to Denton in the early AM's, we can take the C182 with you as safety pilot and get some time into your book.

Puking is better than choking on your check ride.

Good use of CRM.

Congratulations!

@Dane R ... sometimes, the good DPE's provide valuable wisdom that our CFI's have yet to share.

Did yours provide anything of value to you?

Congrats. DPE must be a seasoned dude!! Have fun with the IR. I’m in the thick of it and the IMC training teaches you to “ let go of your feelings luke”

Title says it all. Had my private checkride this morning and the unusual attitudes got to me, so I gave him flight controls and took 3 minutes to puke in a bag. Finished puking, tied a knot in the bag, then threw it in the back and continued with the ride like nothing happened. Thought I'd failed then for sure but he ended up passing me! It was a pretty ugly and embarrassing scene, can't believe it had to happen to me on my freakin' checkride! Nonetheless, I'm finally a pilot after only 44 hours. Now onto Instrument!!

Congratulations!

Congratulations !!!!!!!!.

Now you need to change your ID on here to your new handle, BARF

Holy macaroni chunks Dane! That is one check ride you definitely will never forget. Ahh memories. You and the DPE are studs in my book. Congrats on passing, and congrats to the DPE for not terminating the check ride and allowing you to continue. I'm sure he was blown away by your composure and determination to continue.

image.gif. image.gif

Last edited:
CONGRATS YOU PUKING PILOT!!!!

"Examiner Resource Management", way to use it!
CONGRATS!

First off, Congratulations!!!

A few flights ago, I ended up throwing up, but it was very clear (too much water) and I know that feeling. Had to ask the CFI to take control.

So, I'm not yet near checkride, but I had given it some thought and thought "if I get sick on checkride, I should probably still fly, but try just straight and level until it goes over" because I figured getting sick to where one couldn't keep flying would be a showstopper.
Also, when it hits you (I know) sometimes it doesn't feel like it will "go over" until back on the ground.

So I was a little surprised that it didn't stop them from passing you, but it's great that you passed! Good job!

Congratulations on passing, but to be the solitary negative person; if you had to hand control to another person (the DPE), I'm surprised he passed you. What if you'd been solo or with non-pilot passengers and had nobody to hand control to?

Back