Commercial versus Instrument Rating

Most difficult thing I've seen in Commercial students is getting them to look out the damn window again...
My son doing his ppl had this problem! Instrument flying for him was much easier without having to do the 'look out the window' thing. ha! Thanks Microsoft!

Give Gold Method a try. I was fortunate to be a part of the beta and it worked well for me.

Russel from Gold Method is poking around on POA so you get the side benefit of asking him questions or providing feedback if that matters to you.

I have two subscriptions. His course is fantastic, plus he's local.

Bob - I would get the rating now with no delay. I got my instrument rating 15 years ago and intended to go straight for the commercial but work and family priorities pushed that aside. I finally decided to get the commercial this year. I am embarrassed how much I forgot over the years. There is some new material in the commercial written but a lot of it is overlap from private and instrument. AIr space, Nav questions, performance charts come to mind. I would strongly recommend you do the commercial written while the material is fresh in your mind.

Same thing happened to me. Got the instrument in 2002, was working on the commercial, but in the middle of it moved from FL to NC. Life ended up getting in the way and I quit flying for 11 years and did a huge knowledge dump. Just started back last year in July. Now I'm working on the commercial. Every day I wished I'd already had it done. Hopefully before July is out I'll have the commercial.

I’ll 4th a recommendation for Goldmethod and Russ. I was a beta tester as well, but I felt I retained more info from his system.

Work is really keeping me backed up and delaying me finishing the commercial. I have no plans to use it at the moment but you never know.

. . .
Work is really keeping me backed up and delaying me finishing the commercial. I have no plans to use it at the moment but you never know.
I thought the same thing when I let the commercial rating take a back seat. Now, 15 years later, I don’t expect to spend too many more years in my day job, I can see a use for the commercial. Flying as a hobby when retired sounds great, but the reality is it will be hard to justify the expense. I can see doing some part time flying. I also never thought I would want to be an instructor - but that is sounding more like an option in the future.
62 and working on mine. Get 'er done. :)
59 and working on mine. Maybe you, me and Bob can get an AARP discount!

I did my Commercial first. Came back after 20+ years away from flying and it seemed like a natural follow-up after my extended Flight Review. Think it was the right move for me however now that I have both, the instrument is way more useful for GA flying. Those Commercial maneuvers don't serve much purpose in the real world.

Fyi, Commercial was quicker and easier, both written and practical, imo.

I did the Gold Method beta and passed my commercial today with an 86. I would have done better but most of my studying was a few weeks ago and I just now got around to taking the test. I used Sheppard when I did the IR so I’ll compare the two.

One think I really liked about Gold Method is that it isn’t locked to one device for so many days. I could use my work computer during my lunch break, my iPad, or home computer. This made it easier to study when I had 10-15 minutes to spare.

Sheppard was really good for studying the test, but I do feel like Gold Method helped me learn the material a little better than the straight memorization of Sheppard.

In conclusion, I think either product will get you to where you need to be to take the test, but I did prefer the flexibility offered by GM. The locked down nature of Sheppard was inconvienent for me.

Back