Had a "certificate action" taken against me.

:thumbsup: The good kind of certificate action! Congrats!

Congrats! Details? :)

There really wasn't much to it. Drove to Hammond, LA (I can recommend Fly By Knight there, I had a very good experience!). 3 lessons, 3.5 hours, 1.1 hour checkride.

Oral was 10% systems, 10% limitations and 80% about Vmc. Checkride was straight forward stuff, first takeoff aborted because of "engine failure" before Vr, after that, short field takeoff, engine failure on climbout. Simulate identifying and securing the engine, get the engine back. Climb to 5500ft, steep turns, slow flight, accelerated stall, power on stall, power off stall, Vmc demo, shutdown engine and a few basic maneuvers with one engine feathered. Emergency descent and engine restart, recover at 2000ft, get set up for an RNAV approach (non-LPV approach), 5 miles from the FAF, DPE gives me a horrible 50 degree intercept vector, and turning inbound fails engine during the turn, get lined up and "secure" the engine. Shoot the approach to mins, land one engine inop, touch and go, normal pattern to a short field landing. Go around from 3ft, another short field landing to a touch and go, another pattern to a flapless full stop landing.
1.1 hours, and it was close to 100F outside. I was sweating bullets after the pattern work.

467434F4-FFB8-4DFF-A70C-48BA34114047.jpeg
Congrats. I finally knocked out the ME back in May as well.

Very cool, man!

5 miles from the FAF, DPE gives me a horrible 50 degree intercept vector, and turning inbound fails engine during the turn, get lined up and "secure" the engine. Shoot the approach to mins, land one engine inop, touch and go, normal pattern to a short field landing. Go around from 3ft, another short field landing to a touch and go, another pattern to a flapless full stop landing.
1.1 hours, and it was close to 100F outside

Great job. He put you through the full ringer. This was just a test. Just hope you never have to do this in real life. @flyingron just said it. Welcome to the league of temporary airmen.

View attachment 64595
Congrats. I finally knocked out the ME back in May as well.

Interesting regional DPE differences in this thread. Virtually none of ours will do T&G here, even on the 10,000’ runways.

They all want as much pavement under the aircraft as they can get if we really trash a mill before we run out of pavement.

Also chuckled at the hole punch in the certificate. FAA told the DPEs here they literally do not care about that anymore and they stopped having to carry a hole punch around.

FAA inspector is going to look any certificates up on their tablet in the field anyway. Hole punch is worthless because they’re not going to trust a card without looking to see if it’s been revoked or changed.

The latest around here on old cards is “Do whatever you want with it, here’s your temporary. Sign it or it’s not valid... right... here. Congrats again.”

Congrats! Did you do commercial then multi? Or was multi before commercial?

By the way, “Weight 172”... a number of us now hate you @Velocity173 . Hahahaha.

Yeah but I’m only 4’ 11”. :D I was actually 163 at my physical last month. Still a bit above my optimum BMI but I’m working on it. Although, I don’t put much “weight” in the importance of staying within a set BMI.

Interesting regional DPE differences in this thread. Virtually none of ours will do T&G here, even on the 10,000’ runways.

They all want as much pavement under the aircraft as they can get if we really trash a mill before we run out of pavement.

Also chuckled at the hole punch in the certificate. FAA told the DPEs here they literally do not care about that anymore and they stopped having to carry a hole punch around.

FAA inspector is going to look any certificates up on their tablet in the field anyway. Hole punch is worthless because they’re not going to trust a card without looking to see if it’s been revoked or changed.

The latest around here on old cards is “Do whatever you want with it, here’s your temporary. Sign it or it’s not valid... right... here. Congrats again.”

I don’t recall anyone in the past punching a hole in my card either. Just so happens this guy did. CFI said they all want cash too. Don’t ever recall that either. Fortunately this DPE had no issues taking my check.

I don’t recall anyone in the past punching a hole in my card either. Just so happens this guy did. CFI said they all want cash too. Don’t ever recall that either. Fortunately this DPE had no issues taking my check.

All of ours solidly prefer cash.

Story goes that people would stop payment on checks after disapprovals.

Same reason supposedly keeps them from setting up credit card processing also, people would argue charges.

An upset candidate failing can’t easily make a phone call to make their bank go get their cash back and turn things into a cluster...

Back