Angel flights

Brian Priest

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Priest
Hello all,

I’ve always wanted to do angel/ mercy flights. I currently rent. I have a few questions.

Which would be the best organization to look into?
Tax deductible?
Things to understand?

Also I’m not religious so that may be a consideration. If I get within 10 meters of a church Ile likely combust.

Find the Angle Flight near you and contact them. It would be tax deductible in most cases. You will have to have s certain number of hours and may need an instrument rating. They usually don’t require passing near a church so I think you are good there.

Is this you?

• Valid and current private (or higher) certificate, with class/type ratings and endorsements required for aircraft
  • Instrument rating
  • Valid & current class III or higher medical certificate
  • 250 hours pilot in command (PIC) experience
  • 25 hours make and model in singles, 75 hours make and model in turbines and twins
  • 50 hours as PIC in last 12 months (waived with a flight review or completion of a Wings phase in last 3 months)
  • Liability insurance policy

Also I’m not religious so that may be a consideration. If I get within 10 meters of a church Ile likely combust.
What does that have to do with Angel Flight????

Is this you?

• Valid and current private (or higher) certificate, with class/type ratings and endorsements required for aircraft
  • Instrument rating
  • Valid & current class III or higher medical certificate
  • 250 hours pilot in command (PIC) experience
  • 25 hours make and model in singles, 75 hours make and model in turbines and twins
  • 50 hours as PIC in last 12 months (waived with a flight review or completion of a Wings phase in last 3 months)
  • Liability insurance policy
The Instrument rating is not required by all the Angel Flights. AFWest does not require instrument. On the other hand, no matter how many times we remind the Mother Ship in Santa Monica, SLC to DEN area is not a direct flight for a goodly number of our pilots due to the limitations of our single-engine aircraft.

Basic Med is now accepted by AFWest. Don't know about the others. Here are the details for AFW.
http://www.angelflightwest.org/pilot-page/command-pilot-requirements/

As for tax deduction, your rental fee is considered a donation under 501(c)3. Keep a receipt. At the end of the year, the AFW website has a page where you can download a complete description of all your flights, that the IRS accepts as proof of donation. Again, don't know about the others.

Other things to understand - no problem. AFW has an excellent online (or in person) orientation you're required to take that answers most if not all your questions.

What does that have to do with Angel Flight????

Well, first off I’m no angel lol. Second, I listed angel/ mercy flights. There are some religious organizations running these types of operations. Religious preference may be a consideration for these operators. Third, I actually do not know who ultimately runs, has controlling interest, or other consideration with angel flight.

Clip4 I meet that list. Thank you.

Murphey thank you! That is very helpful as well

Well, first off I’m no angel lol. Second, I listed angel/ mercy flights. There are some religious organizations running these types of operations. Religious preference may be a consideration for these operators. Third, I actually do not know who ultimately runs, has controlling interest, or other consideration with angel flight.

Clip4 I meet that list. Thank you.

Murphey thank you! That is very helpful as well
Religious belief/denomination has no bearing on whether or not you can do Angel Flights. It’s simply about helping out and doing something good for someone else, which I’m sure we all try to do from time to time. As long as you meet their pilot requirements than you’re good to go!

Religious belief/denomination has no bearing on whether or not you can do Angel Flights. It’s simply about helping out and doing something good for someone else, which I’m sure we all try to do from time to time. As long as you meet their pilot requirements than you’re good to go!

Okay very good! As someone who has never done anything like this I’m doing my homework. It has always been a dream of mine to do these types of flights.

Tax deductible is a bonus round, though I’m looking to do these anyway.

Changes in the tax law may affect deductibility. The standard deduction doubles and some deductions are limited. While it won't affect my Angel Flight participation, I personally will no longer be able to deduct (i.e., the standard deduction will be more than the allowed itemized deductions).

YMMV, obviously.

Your comments on religion and your last name are quite ironic then.:p

As others have said you need to contact them. They are broken up into regions with each one having it’s own rules and requirements. They can vary quite a bit as far as number of hours required. The nice thing is that the regions overlap so you may qualify for one. Also, as far as I know they all allow rental aircraft usage. Now about the flights... There are highs and lows so keep that in mind. It is a rewarding experience helping someone while doing something you would be doing anyway (boring holds in the sky).

One other thing. You can do ride along if you want to experience a mission before you commit. Just call and ask about it...

Your comments on religion and your last name are quite ironic then.:p

The irony is not lost on me lol.

Twin_Flyer thank you for the info. Ile look into the ride along option as well. I think I know the answer, but could you elaborate on the highs and lows?

The irony is not lost on me lol.

Twin_Flyer thank you for the info. Ile look into the ride along option as well. I think I know the answer, but could you elaborate on the highs and lows?

I’ve had a few missions that were repeat flyers.. You get to know them and what they are dealing with. The kids that are dealing with major illnesses but have smiles the size of Texas... Then you hear that one has lost their battle.... I know it’s just life but if it doesn’t tug at your heart then you’re not human. Just be prepared....

I’ve had a few missions that were repeat flyers.. You get to know them and what they are dealing with. The kids that are dealing with major illnesses but have smiles the size of Texas... Then you hear that one has lost their battle.... I know it’s just life but if it doesn’t tug at your heart then you’re not human. Just be prepared....

You bring up a very good point. One that has always been in the back of my mind, but one that I haven’t really acknowledged. Something to consider for sure. But I guess that’s reason enough to do the flying. Give someone every chance to succeed.

You bring up a very good point. One that has always been in the back of my mind, but one that I haven’t really acknowledged. Something to consider for sure. But I guess that’s reason enough to do the flying. Give someone every chance to succeed.

It is...trust me the highs so far out number the lows. Just wanted you to have the complete picture. I still love the smiles of appreciation on the faces of the ones that feel there is hope because you got them there. Or the little ones that don’t know how bad their issues are but love the fact that they get to fly in an airplane. No three hundred dollar + hamburger will ever be that satisfying....

I actually recently signed up, though some here (as can be seen in my sig) think I’m god, I’m not religious lol

IMO if you’re trying to be the change you want to see in the world, I’d say angel flight or pilots and paws, think you’d get more immediate gratification with pilots and paws though.

Pilots and Paws pax don't complain about your landings.
Mostly true. I had a cat once that wouldn’t shut up the whole flight. So it wasn’t just the landing. :cool: Pilots N Paws is how I am gaining hours to be able to do Angel Flight.

Back