Daughter looking for work in the D.C. area

Oh I forgot, we’re the NICE Imperialist occupiers who claim we bring Liberty while we drill for oil, because our CIA planted dictators didn’t work out.

We’ll just scatter a bakers dozen of our military bases around and claim we’ve let you have your “sovereignty” back.

LOL LOL LOL. Seriously.

I live just north of Annapolis and fly out of W29 (Bay Bridge). Maryland has the oceans, the western hills, the Chesapeake Bay, Annapolis/DC/Baltimore. There's so much to do both indoors (museums, restaurants, concert and theater venues) and outdoors (hiking, bicycling, boating, sailing, etc.) It's a great area. My daughter lives in Fairfax and son in Baltimore. Just like me, they started with apartments, then townhome/rowhouse then plan on getting into single-family housing.

There's many federal agencies and industries in the MD-VA-DC area looking for young folks for a wide variety of jobs. If you're a young professional you can find a decent salary and affordable housing. Unskilled folks (i.e., no degree, no trade) find housing and cost-of-living to be a terrible surprise. Those who are unskilled and with their family groups will share housing (e.g., immigrants from Latin America) and work their way up.

I'm not going to contribute to the negative talk about our government. There are many hard-working, honest people serving in our local, state, and federal government. The best way to raise its moral level is to encourage worthy people that it's a worthy occupation and vote out those who fall short.

But we forget, in this age of negativity and vile tweets by the head gator in the swamp and his hatchlings, that there are wonderful opportunities in the US, in all the major cities. She'll have a great time here. Won't be easy, but it will be a great ride.

Oh, and if she wants to become a pilot, have her head over to one of the many great flight schools in the area, like (ahem) CSP over at W29. :D

Well, Golly Gee.

I lived there, I left. But I do return occasionally to Annapolis for the boat shows. I do miss the crab cakes, but that is about it. And I do like your airport.

Well, Golly Gee.

I lived there, I left. But I do return occasionally to Annapolis for the boat shows. I do miss the crab cakes, but that is about it. And I do like your airport.
Yep, many a happy landing at Bay Bridge. Landing to the east, from over the bay is a blast.

And uh, this is a bit tough for me to say, though I will; the mid-level Feds are often, almost always, hard working. But to the point, a lot of what they work on is not worth the cost - as in, the value added isn't there. I've lived it, seen it, as a Fed employee, consultant, and military member. My very rough estimate is that the Fed workforce could afford a 25% cut. It'd need management to get done (which isn't likely) but it could be sustained, and services actually improved.

Right now, I'd hesitate to recommend Fed employment to a recent grad; the bureaucracy is stifling; political hacks, elected and appointed, stumble through the motions of doing policy and planning, but getting it right is almost always a steel-cage death match. It does, sometimes, get done correctly, but often doesn't. We aren't the best and brightest anymore - those folks are working elsewhere. It's not a political party thing, it's the non-accountability thing. There just isn't much blow-back on incompetence, sloth, or misuse of power - some, a bit, sure, but not nearly enough.

280.JPG
Well, Golly Gee.

the crabs are good...and Kool Ice will deliver to CGE. ;)

Attachments

• 281.JPG
    281.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 283.JPG
    283.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
AAAAaaaaanyways.... I like much about DC, but as a tourist. I have family that live there, and I love to visit the area for its history and museums. Great night life as well. Good punk scene in the 80s when I was growing up in VA. Family likes living there, some commute to work by train or bicycle depending on the weather. Plenty of good opportunities there.

Move to DC, perform assortative mating ritual, move to Potomac or Fairfax...

It can get hot in the summer....

KIMG1529.JPG

Back