Solo - Land too smoothly and you have to go up alone

Matthew Rogers

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matt R
I lurked for a while, but I guess I have to post now.

I fly a 150F out of a great grass strip - Old Orchard 2NK9 - in NY. It took a while to find an instructor, but finally one of the guys from the club agreed to take me on. 11 hours later - I did my first two landings extremely smooth this morning and I guess that was the last straw because my instructor got out of the plane. Turns out that a 150 flies a lot better on a hot day with just one person! He tried to throw me a curve ball by asking me for right pattern so he could see me while he sat in a chair in front of his hanger. I had never done right pattern here, but it turned out just fine. 5 landings later and I was ready to wring out my shirt from this 98 degree day. I got to do whatever I wanted so I did some power off, some power on, 10 degree flaps, 40 degree, short and high final, long and low.

Now Phase 2. And I guess I got to finish my Knowledge Test prep and get that out of the way.

Matt

Wooohoooo! Congrats!

Congrats and welcome to PoA! I drive past that strip on my way home for Christmas every year.

Yeah, I did too before I moved to the area. Then I forgot about it for 10 years and finally thought I might be able to get my license. They are great at the club. At 35, I am about 40 years younger than the average age.

I needed many things to all be aligned.

Cheap plane - one of the members was selling a 1/3 share in a 150. Check

Cheap parking - under $100 a month. Check

Cheap instructor - finally a check once I found anyone. I got 12 “no’s” over a period of 6 months. Airline jobs took every instructor within 50 miles of me.

Close airport - 10 mins. Check. I have a 2 year old so time is precious.

I lurked for a while, but I guess I have to post now.

I fly a 150F out of a great grass strip - Old Orchard 2NK9 - in NY. It took a while to find an instructor, but finally one of the guys from the club agreed to take me on. 11 hours later - I did my first two landings extremely smooth this morning and I guess that was the last straw because my instructor got out of the plane. Turns out that a 150 flies a lot better on a hot day with just one person! He tried to throw me a curve ball by asking me for right pattern so he could see me while he sat in a chair in front of his hanger. I had never done right pattern here, but it turned out just fine. 5 landings later and I was ready to wring out my shirt from this 98 degree day. I got to do whatever I wanted so I did some power off, some power on, 10 degree flaps, 40 degree, short and high final, long and low.

Now Phase 2. And I guess I got to finish my Knowledge Test prep and get that out of the way.

Matt
Congrats!!!

Congratulations Matthew! Stick around these parts, will ya?

2. And I guess I got to finish my Knowledge Test prep and get that out of the way.

Matt

Congrats! Yes, get the written done. The young lady I soloed Sat hasn't done hers yet, wants to done in about 45 days, so it's on her to hit the books and get it done. CFIs can't take the test for you so get on it. I probably couldn't pass it anyway. :D

Last edited:
Congrats man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't worry, "too smooth" landings are a problem that can be easily remedied. With a little practice with the right CFI, you can roughen 'em right back up again, and get back to the bouncing and screaming that the rest of us are used to! :) :)

CONGRATS!!

Ain't it nice without all that dead weight in the other seat?

I remember that day, such a great feeling! Congratulations!

I went up for my first unencumbered flight today. 1.0 of PIC just for fun. Just a nice relaxing (sort of as it is still a little nerve wracking being totally alone) flight and some sight seeing around my house. 3 landings and a go around because I came in too high and fast one time. Even the 40 degrees of flaps couldn’t drop my 150 fast enough for that attempt. But I decided early enough to scrub the approach and was just about at the tree tops when I added power so not too big a deal to retract the flaps in time for a nice and easy trip back to the pattern.

I went up for my first unencumbered flight today. 1.0 of PIC just for fun. Just a nice relaxing (sort of as it is still a little nerve wracking being totally alone) flight and some sight seeing around my house. 3 landings and a go around because I came in too high and fast one time. Even the 40 degrees of flaps couldn’t drop my 150 fast enough for that attempt. But I decided early enough to scrub the approach and was just about at the tree tops when I added power so not too big a deal to retract the flaps in time for a nice and easy trip back to the pattern.
A go around is never a bad thing, but have your instructor go over slips with you if he hasn't already. A forward slip + flaps is a great way to bleed off excess airspeed or altitude in a hurry when you find yourself too high or fast. Just check your poh since some Cessna's have restrictions on full flap slips and I can't remember if that includes 150s.

Congrats on the solo!

Congratulations Captain!

Yeah, the word slip is not even mentioned in the 1966 150 POH so neither of us knows if they are allowed with flaps. It is interesting that the POH for the older 150s is about 1/4 to 1/6 the size of the 1977 POH. So there is a lot of info missing in terms of operation. Since they are essentially the same plane, I question if I can “fill in” the information that is missing using the later model POH.

There are also some interesting info is that the Vx speed for the 150f is way down at 52 mph. This is 3mph slower than the power off stall speed in level flight. Later models 150m have Vx speeds of 65 mph. I have a hard time considering a Vx of 52 except if I am certainly going to hit an obstacle. Even at my short field with tall trees I keep it at 65 mph.

Yeah, the word slip is not even mentioned in the 1966 150 POH so neither of us knows if they are allowed with flaps. It is interesting that the POH for the older 150s is about 1/4 to 1/6 the size of the 1977 POH. So there is a lot of info missing in terms of operation. Since they are essentially the same plane, I question if I can “fill in” the information that is missing using the later model POH.

There are also some interesting info is that the Vx speed for the 150f is way down at 52 mph. This is 3mph slower than the power off stall speed in level flight. Later models 150m have Vx speeds of 65 mph. I have a hard time considering a Vx of 52 except if I am certainly going to hit an obstacle. Even at my short field with tall trees I keep it at 65 mph.
POHs weren't standardized until 1975 so anything older than that has an AFM with the info required by the FAA and then whatever else the manufacturer felt like including, usually some sort of 'owners manual' with at least some of the info contained in a POH. Your AFM or manual would say something about restricting slips with full flaps if there was any sort of problem with it.

I would talk to your CFI about slips if he hasn't already worked on them with you and then go up and try a few with various flap combinations to learn how your bird handles. Slips are just another useful item in your toolbox.

Back