How to get a Garmin G5 HSI

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Been wanting a Garmin G5 HSI to match my AI for a while but thought I would get past the summer/fall flying season before doing it. Thanks to my own dumb actions it looks like that will be happening as soon as the avionics shop gets it in.

For anyone interested in seeing the moronic moment but don't want to spend much time, fast forward to 22:15.

It took you about 2 seconds to come to the G5 solution after you realized it was out. We know what has been at the forefront of you mind. lol.

Last edited:
You know how sometimes actions are foregone conclusions? This one reeks of such a case. Enjoy the upgrade. :D

Been wanting a Garmin G5 HSI to match my AI for a while but thought I would get past the summer/fall flying season before doing it. Thanks to my own dumb actions it looks like that will be happening as soon as the avionics shop gets it in.

For anyone interested in seeing the moronic moment but don't want to spend much time, fast forward to 22:15.

What are you replacing? Do you have a Vacuum system and Gyro you can lose now?

Dumb? Other than the cracked glass it doesn't look any worse than before you tapped it.

That said, I wouldn't tap on the G5's if I were you. :)

Mechanical gyro yes. Vacuum system no. The de-ice boots require the vacuum system to operate. But in a twin there is redundancy, so the loss of one vacuum pump is no big deal.

I think you guys are on to something... Now I'm thinking I subconsciously tapped a bit too hard on purpose. :)

Hopefully in 2 weeks I'll have something new to play with.

As @GRG55 mentioned, I'm keeping my vacuum pumps forever as they drive the de-ice boots on the wing and tail. Just swapping the old King HSI for a new Garmin HSI. I'll gain reversionary backups for each between the two G5's and separate 4 hour backup batteries. More importantly when Garmin allows the GFC500 for 310's I'll be ready for the install! :)

You took it to Rockford for the first G5 right? Going back?
I did for the first one. I'm not going back to them. They seem to have a decent reputation but when I went to pick the plane up, they gave it the final look over, returned it to service and during the pre-flight I found the yoke wouldn't pull back past 50% due to a wire bundle they had blocking it.

I know to take return to service flights serious and assume the maintenance folks are trying to kill you but that still doesn't sit well with me. I'm going to 3CK (Lake in the Hills) this time.

I did for the first one. I'm not going back to them. They seem to have a decent reputation but when I went to pick the plane up, they gave it the final look over, returned it to service and during the pre-flight I found the yoke wouldn't pull back past 50% due to a wire bundle they had blocking it.

I know to take return to service flights serious and assume the maintenance folks are trying to kill you but that still doesn't sit well with me. I'm going to 3CK (Lake in the Hills) this time.
Aurora tried to kill me too. They didn’t put the fuel selector back on correctly and it wouldn’t allow me to switch tanks. Caught it on preflight. Let me know how 3CK treats you. Eventually I will need upgrades again.

Aurora tried to kill me too. They didn’t put the fuel selector back on correctly and it wouldn’t allow me to switch tanks. Caught it on preflight. Let me know how 3CK treats you. Eventually I will need upgrades again.
Will do. I have a friend that used them and reported back favorably. We are running out of avionics places in the area that won't try to kill us. :)

When do you get back from Europe?

Will do. I have a friend that used them and reported back favorably. We are running out of avionics places in the area that won't try to kill us. :)

Will be in town in 4 weeks if you need a copilot. A few days we’ll be in Naperville, a few in the Dells and then two weeks in Peoria to woo my lady (aka my plane that I miss dearly). As for permanently back, that is 3 more years (saving up for my Bonanza). :-D

Mechanical gyro yes. Vacuum system no. The de-ice boots require the vacuum system to operate. But in a twin there is redundancy, so the loss of one vacuum pump is no big deal.

Yeah. There's more than just a couple 'first flight after maintenance" accident reports out there.

Any work behind the panel should be an automatic full range of motion control check.
Completely agree. Kind of amazing a legit avionics shop wouldn't have done the same prior to turning the plane back over to the owner.

Don't know if you have tried the avionics shop at rochelle but I've got a friend who just left working there who had nothing but good things to say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't know if you have tried the avionics shop at rochelle but I've got a friend who just left working there who had nothing but good things to say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted them and they said they aren't a Garmin authorized dealer and couldn't help. Just flew there the other day to watch the skydiving and have lunch. Fun airport.

Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted them and they said they aren't a Garmin authorized dealer and couldn't help. Just flew there the other day to watch the skydiving and have lunch. Fun airport.
Yeah, I forgot they are avidyne.

The skydiving is fun to watch there. Never been to the restaurant.

You will love the G5, it’s a shame it will cost you $5k just cause you need it TSO’d. In the experimental and S-LSA world they are $1,800+. That’s $3,200 for paperwork. Sad....

You’ll love the G5 HSI, it’s awesome.
Just curious. What is it that is so awesome about the G5. I'm serious. I'm thinking of getting one (or two), but I need to convince Leslie. Our roles are a little reversed. I'd get one because it is a new toy that looks cool. She wants it to be practical (as if owning a GA aircraft is practical in the first place).

Just curious. What is it that is so awesome about the G5. I'm serious. I'm thinking of getting one (or two), but I need to convince Leslie. Our roles are a little reversed. I'd get one because it is a new toy that looks cool. She wants it to be practical (as if owning a GA aircraft is practical in the first place).
Lots of info all in one place right in front of you. More reliable than a vacuum instrument. Speeds, altitude, attitude, and yaw all at a glance.

Lots of info all in one place right in front of you. More reliable than a vacuum instrument. Speeds, altitude, attitude, and yaw all at a glance.

Plus you can get rid of your vacuum system if you install the pair, and the HSI 100% backs up the AI; important if you do a lot of IFR in your Bonanza. And "practical" if you need to sell this idea to the Treasury Secretary in the family. ;)

Last edited:
I installed the first G5 as AI. Planned on keeping the NSD-360 until it died. Well it started acting up and occasionally the compass card would stop spinning. Rather than spend money on it for repair I opted to do the 2nd G5. In hindsight so happy the NSD-360 HSI started to fail. The G5 HSI is such a huge improvement. Zero precession. Backup for the AI if I need it. Gpss. Etc. I love mine. Well worth the investment.

I only have the G5 HSI right now. Possibly putting a G5 AI in at some point. My dad and I got tired of dealing with old mechanical instruments and gyros. We had several AIs fail and had two CDIs fail. Here is what I like about the G5 HSI
- heading and course deviation on one instrument (it really does make instrument approaches so nice)
- no precession like a mechanical heading indicator
- can be switched to attitude indicator in case your primary AI fails (this is super cool) - in which case you still get heading, course deviation, etc like you would on the HSI
- if you had a G5 AI & HSI, you could keep your vacuum driven AI and have redundant systems (vacuum & electronic)
- I really love the current heading box on the G5 HSI - tells you numerically your current heading. Sounds so simple, but it is a nice feature when your trying to keep a very specific heading.
- ground track indicator - Very useful when you got a nice crosswind on an approach
- heading bug - I didn't have one of these before, but it isn't unique to the G5, so maybe that isn't something worth noting
- ground speed reading

Idk there is so much. I know I am missing some other things. I'd suggest reading through the G5 pilot's guide. The G5 paired with the GNC 255 has been absolutely awesome. Then again, I was used to KX170Bs and old King CDIs.

You will love the G5, it’s a shame it will cost you $5k just cause you need it TSO’d. In the experimental and S-LSA world they are $1,800+. That’s $3,200 for paperwork. Sad....
Much better in the experimental world no doubt. In my case it’s $5000 installed. $2900 for the instrument, GAD29B and their magnetometer. Yes...more money for the paperwork but it’s still a helk of a lot cheaper than another used old Bendix King replacement.

Back