How busy is the airport in Kennesaw GA?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Some family just contacted me and wants me to fly them to Kennesaw (Cobb County) International airport first thing tomorrow morning. However, if it's anything like Peachtree Dekalb (another Class D airport in Atlanta that is extremely busy) I would not feel safe flying there, as I seldom ever fly to busy airports. I actually fly out of a controlled airport, but 80% of the time I'm literally the only one in the pattern/ground.

According to Airnav, Kennesaw averages 187 airplanes a day whereas Peachtree averages 435 (my airport averages 60). So it doesn't sound like it'll be that bad. Anyone ever flown there?

I fly by on a weekly basis to go to the hospital just south of the field. Rarely to I go to the field to get gas but when I do, it’s s pretty easy affair.

Good chance you’ll see traffic and possibly follow someone but there’s really not much pattern traffic. Must of the time I go by there, it’s just IFR straight in stuff. With one runway and gas on the north side, it’s easy in and easy out. Way easier than PDK with all their runways and traffic.

Been IFR a lot in the AM recently, so just plan accordingly. I’m sure you will.

That's my home base. Pretty simple most of the time. Announce 10 miles or so out and they'll give you a routing in. Typically they'll ask you to call them mid-field if you are entering the pattern or 3 miles out if it's direct in. This is all VFR, can't speak to IFR procedures.

If you understand Class D airport operations than you’ll be just fine. I went there a year or two ago and got in and out with ease. It’s not extremely busy.

But bring lube. Hawthorne likes to rape you with a cactus on fees.

Busy but not near as much as PDK, and no where near the business jet traffic PDK has. Arriving from the N, NW, W, and even SW very easy. Other directions no big problems either. Watch for terrain if you're arriving at night. Used to be a lot of flight training there, not sure if that's still the case.

Busy but not near as much as PDK, and no where near the business jet traffic PDK has. Arriving from the N, NW, W, and even SW very easy. Other directions no big problems either. Watch for terrain if you're arriving at night. Used to be a lot of flight training there, not sure if that's still the case.

Still two schools. Depends a bit on the day. Never have seen more than 3 in the pattern at once and it's dead flat in both runway directions if you extend your downwind. There is a hill just south of the pattern you need to be aware of if coming in at night.

Nearly all my time there is on weekends, not sure if it's busier during the week. But is just super easy to get into from away.

Call ahead on the fees. Not sure it's quite as bad as some say, but make sure you know before you land

Still two schools. Depends a bit on the day. Never have seen more than 3 in the pattern at once and it's dead flat in both runway directions if you extend your downwind. There is a hill just south of the pattern you need to be aware of if coming in at night.

Nearly all my time there is on weekends, not sure if it's busier during the week. But is just super easy to get into from away.

Call ahead on the fees. Not sure it's quite as bad as some say, but make sure you know before you land

35 bucks just to taxi across their ramp last time I was there. Then another 40 to shut down and park. They didnt even bother to tie my plane down for that.

But bring lube. Hawthorne likes to rape you with a cactus on fees.

I was over there a few weeks ago to help a friend look at something on his airplane. The lady at the desk at Hawthorne damned near called the SWAT team when I opened the door to walk out on the ramp without having whatever top secret clearance they require.

Watch for terrain if you're arriving at night.
Yeah the mountain (if you would even call it that) just south of the field is something to keep in mind for night operations.

Yeah the mountain (if you would even call it that) just south of the field is something to keep in mind for night operations.

Whatever ya wanna call it, it's not yielding if ya smack into it. Also terrain increases north-northwest of the airport.

IMG_3800.JPG

Reminds me of twin....oh nevah mind.

Been in and out a handful of times, last yesterday. Be cognizant of Bravo altitudes to the South and you’ll be fine. Airport info has right traffic noted for Rwy 09 but tower has always directed me left traffic.
A plane or two in the pattern seems typical
Tower staff seems really cool.
Never been to the restaurant on field.

Thanks for the info everyone. We wound up not going due to a forecasted 60% of rain. And with the fees, I'm glad we didn't. :eek:

Back