I believe this is a mandatory pic.

Today was just slow flight, stalls, steep turns, VMC demo, in-flight shutdown and then LPV approach with engine out. 1.2 hours, hope to get this done asap.
It's fun, but I have to say, flying something with a "bit" more hp for the past 500hrs does help, things happen SLOOOOWWW in a twin!

Today was just slow flight, stalls, steep turns, VMC demo, in-flight shutdown and then LPV approach with engine out. 1.2 hours, hope to get this done asap.
It's fun, but I have to say, flying something with a "bit" more hp for the past 500hrs does help, things happen SLOOOOWWW in a twin!

Coming down rapidly happens fast with both throttles at idle... ;) If you’re looking for something fast about them. Heh.

Coming down rapidly happens fast with both throttles at idle... ;) If you’re looking for something fast about them. Heh.

On my work plane, I'm used to much higher rates of climb and descent :)
It's fun training though. And I think I'll walk funny with a limp on my right foot for a few weeks after this training :)

On my work plane, I'm used to much higher rates of climb and descent :)
It's fun training though. And I think I'll walk funny with a limp on my right foot for a few weeks after this training :)

LOL. You just kinda walk in circles if you always shut down the same engine. :)

Oh and by the way - I've always hated stupid acronyms and mnemonics, but these VMC ones take the cake.
MULTTTI OPS and SMACFUM. Sorry, but if you can't remember a simple paragraph from 23.149, well....

Oh and by the way - I've always hated stupid acronyms and mnemonics, but these VMC ones take the cake.
MULTTTI OPS and SMACFUM. Sorry, but if you can't remember a simple paragraph from 23.149, well....

23.149 hasn’t existed since August 30th of last year. If it’s in your FARs book then it’s time to buy a new one. And hopefully your MEI is also aware of that.

23.149 hasn’t existed since August 30th of last year. If it’s in your FARs book then it’s time to buy a new one. And hopefully your MEI is also aware of that.

Hey that's a great shout, I didn't realize that. It's still in all of my books.
What was it replaced with? 23.2135 and the AC 23-8C guidance?

Yes 23.2135 is the FAR that covers it now. I would use AC 23-8C to explain that is how VMC was defined when the plane went through certification.

Yes 23.2135 is the FAR that covers it now. I would use AC 23-8C to explain that is how VMC was defined when the plane went through certification.

Great, thanks for the tip! I already started reading 23-8C instead of those stupid mnemonics CFIs seem to love.

That’s only because you’re flying a small trainer twin. Move up and things will happen MUCH faster. I promise.

That’s only because you’re flying a small trainer twin. Move up and things will happen MUCH faster. I promise.

Yep I do know that. I'm looking forward to real training in a real world twin. These small trainer twins are great for a step up, but I'm sort of one step ahead and have to stay alert on avoiding complacency.

You must have a CFI and DPE-ism there with those. After Googling I found SMACFUM but most folks are just memorizing those around here as “just how it’s done” without the acronym. The DPEs usually want to know that the pilot realizes the test scenarios aren’t necessarily the way a pilot will fly the thing and performance could be much worse...

Couldn’t even find a reference to MULTTTI OPS. What the heck is that one?

Discussion of Vmc probably gets abbreviated around here since a bunch of the ground time is going to be eaten up talking about our high density altitude and the limitations inherent in most light twins and how to come up with some of your own (conservative) numbers for how bad life is going to get if you trash a mill at low altitude on takeoff.

5885’ airport elevation, and it was a record tie high today of 105F. It ain’t going up on one engine...

The local DPEs seem to focus on the stuff that’ll kill us quick here locally. :) They also like to talk about what happens to Vmc vs stall speed up here at our altitudes.

We chatted a bit about when to bring the gear up here also... since the Seminole has a published gear in transit time. You can calculate backward your descent rate and how many seconds until impact on departure and know the gear in transit time from down to up to down, and realize maybe you want it hanging out there a little longer... or not... because you’re landing anyway if you trash a mill on takeoff around here most days... it’s an interesting discussion to think through.

PAVE is still popular here though. Think that one comes up as pretty ubiquitous when chatting about techniques with other folks in other geographic areas. It’s interesting to see what quirks come up in training in different areas of the country.

Absolutely essential photo. Fun to show the wife and other non pilots who can't believe you would intentionally shut down an engine in flight.

COMBATS was the acronym I learned for factors affecting Vmc. Helped me on my multi initial.

Back