Online weather briefing

Ben2k9

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben2k9
ok on various flight planning apps or EFBs you can submit a request for a weather briefing. What happens when you do that? I haven’t tried it yet.

ok on various flight planning apps or EFBs you can submit a request for a weather briefing. What happens when you do that? I haven’t tried it yet.
How about registering with www.1800wxbrief.com, then do an online brief yourself? That's a simple way to answer the question yourself. And the site is easy to navigate and use.

And the info shown on the website is very similar to what you get in the EFB's.

And registration with 800-WX-Brief brings additional benefits (which the website explains).

And this YouTube Playlist May provide additional answers and "How-To". https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJfjhkAOKxKucil-m9ZPLgT9MfM38ibrY

Finally, these two videos can explain how it rolls with FF. (Note, these are now 2-3 years old and some improvements have occurred which aren't in these videos)

Last edited:
And finding a good CFI in your area and doing a full briefing as a ground review session can be an excellent use of time.

PS, when you call the briefer or use the 1800WXBRIEF website, the encounter is logged and recorded in their files as your "official briefing" so you comply with "become familiar with all a available information" as required by FAR 91.103

§91.103 Preflight action.
Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include—

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;
Also, if your EFB of choice is tied to your Flight Service account, the request and info review is logged like it would be by calling, also counting toward 91.103

Like many, I self brief several times before departure then once more before engine start.

But anytime I see something that I don't understand or want a second opinion on, there is no hesitation to call Flight Service and review.

I’m registered and I’ve called in a weather briefing, just wasn’t clear about what happened next with an online briefing. Thanks

I’m registered and I’ve called in a weather briefing, just wasn’t clear about what happened next with an online briefing. Thanks

You get a very long string of stuff back called a “standard briefing” that some software will organize and show in some sane format and others will give you a whole lot of reading to do. :)

Also, if your EFB of choice is tied to your Flight Service account, the request and info review is logged like it would be by calling, also counting toward 91.103​

Could you elaborate a little on this. I have foreflight pro plus. That’s where I get my briefings. How would I tie it to a FS account? Sorry if that’s a dumb question.

Could you elaborate a little on this. I have foreflight pro plus. That’s where I get my briefings. How would I tie it to a FS account? Sorry if that’s a dumb question.
No trouble at all... give me a few minutes to find the how it's done and do some screenshots.

I signed up for this looooong ago, and the registration continued through all the updates over the years....

But the newer updates moved the spots where you marked the connection and I need to find it again.

No trouble at all... give me a few minutes to find the how it's done and do some screenshots.

I signed up for this looooong ago, and the registration continued through all the updates over the years....

But the newer updates moved the spots where you marked the connection and I need to find it again.

I believe you don’t have to put in any login info anymore. That was when DUATS was still a thing.

ForeFlight is a “direct provider” from Leidos these days. All you can do is put in your tail number.

There’s no feature that ties the Leidos profile for the user to FF anymore that I’m aware of.

@arkvet .... still looking but here is what I think happens now...

Back in the days of being able to select between Flight Service (at the time, LockMart) and DUATS, you had to tell FF which one you wanted to use and provide your login credentials for that system.

Now that the Graphical Briefing is what ForeFlight offers versus the old "teletype text" they had several years ago, that information only comes from Flight Service (now Leidos).

And to do the Graphical Briefing, you're using the information for the aircraft you created, which includes your tail# and type of aircraft, and the information you provide in the "Flights" area of FF, which is your route, ETD, name, phone, etc.

The FF documentation I have been able to find indicate that all that info is sent to Flight Service with the brewing request. So if Flight Service was asked by some official, "Did Bugmasher 987YZ get a briefing before their flight?" And you had your name and contact information associated with Bugmasher 987YZ when you did the brief request, then that's what would be found in their archives.

So to summarize, I'm not finding a separate distinct way to tell FF on your iPad or your FF account on their website to associate your FF account with your Leidos account. With Leidos being FF's only briefing data "vendor", and you inputting your aircraft details and personal details into Flights in order to request a briefing, all of the important and pertinent information is sent to Leidos for them to record.

Hopefully that maks sense..... If anyone finds a different way, please provide the correction.

@denverpilot ... quit saying in fewer words what I want to say..... <<poke>>

You will ruin your multi-page 2:00am reputation. <<poke poke>>

@denverpilot ... quit saying in fewer words what I want to say..... <<poke>>

You will ruin your multi-page 2:00am reputation. <<poke poke>>

Well I wish there WAS a way to tie the tablet software to the Leidos user profile, because a number of Leidos specific features like text messaging to open/close flight plans, don’t work when you file via tablet. At least they didn’t last year.

Maybe they’ve figured that part out, but I don’t know how they would if multiple pilots have the tail number associated with their Leidos profiles.

You punch in the information that you would have given on the phone, a new window pops up with about a whole bunch of tabs, each tab has something between 1 and several screens of things to read.
Way more than you need to know except that, of course, some things you do need to know - like Stadium TFR's are not included. Just like over the phone.

Yeah I was surprised how long a standard over the phone weather briefing took. The guy was still going after 20 minutes for a 300nm trip. Then my cell phone lost the signal. Since I had no idea if it would be possible to call back and continue, I just let it be, since we had covered everything.

Back