Too Much YouTube

I mean heck if it’s good enough for SteveO it’s good enough for me.

I hope everyone realizes that Stevo is a rookie and not all professionals are like him after the first 100 hours or so.

But yeah, "Any traffic please advise" is one phrase I could do without. Interestingly at my fairly sleepy home drone the pilots I hear most often use that phrase are the infrequent biz jet pilots shooting a straight in approach. I get it though. It probably is a little nerve racking coming off that radar into an uncontrolled airport with Cherokees buzzing around. Honestly would rather them make that call then say nothing and hit a 152 trying to take off.

I am usually have #2 radio on the airport frequency by at least 50 miles out so I don't get surprises. And yes, one time I heard a business jet make that phrase so I warned him about the trains on the tracks and cars on the interstate not being on frequency...... he never said another word, so he might have thought I was a posterior hole...

Surprised they gave you a position check at all. Not required unless he gave ya a turn or ident for radar ID.

“Position checks” is useless. If it doesn’t check, well then tell them, if it does then don’t say anything. Simple.

So lets start the list of annoying phrases all over again...

• With You
  • Tally Ho
  • "Any Traffic or Advisories in the pattern" ugghh the Fing worst...

Come keep it going...

Some of the slang phraseology really doesn’t annoy me. It’s when people either add extraneous BS because they like to hear themselves talk or those that read back every word because they don’t know any better. That stuff gets annoying. Got a guy at work who just loves to hear himself on the radio so he adds all this nonsense to either his ATC replies or over internal freq. Just ties everything up when it’s busy. Don’t make flying more complicated than what it is.

Not just ‘ident.’ It’s required for any of the Beacon methods. That’s why it is heard so often.

I was assuming in his case, he was already assigned a code prior to departure, hence the “ident.” The OP didn’t mention either method so I thought it odd he gave a position.

So lets start the list of annoying phrases all over again...

• With You
  • Tally Ho
  • "Any Traffic or Advisories in the pattern" ugghh the Fing worst...

Come keep it going...

I refuse to give up Tally Ho. It’s just to F’n cool.

The slang doesn’t really bother me. “With you” doesn’t really bother me either. I just make sure when I teach new students, I make it a point to teach them proper phraseology starting day one.

OK, so very little specific phrases annoy me but simply overusing the Unicom burns me up. "Hey Charles, what you been up to? Awe, I've been busy at the farm. Haven't been up flying much lately..."

But yeah, "Any traffic please advise" is one phrase I could do without. Interestingly at my fairly sleepy home drone the pilots I hear most often use that phrase are the infrequent biz jet pilots shooting a straight in approach. I get it though. It probably is a little nerve racking coming off that radar into an uncontrolled airport with Cherokees buzzing around. Honestly would rather them make that call then say nothing and hit a 152 trying to take off.
Ever fly near Canada? Holy cow do those pilots like to talk!!!
"Sarnia traffic, GNBZ, a blue and white Cessna at one hundred knots will over fly the field at two thousand two hundred on a heading of one seven zero degrees. I plan to enter a mid-field left downwind for runway two one, if the winds are still out of the south. If the winds are out of the north, I will re-cross the airfield and enter the pattern on a mid-field left downwind for runway three. I plan to keep my pattern in close. If the wind is gusty, my final will be higher speed than normal. My landing light is out so please be advised....blah blah blah blah" No exaggeration...(well, maybe just a little ;)).

Years ago while flying around southern AL in the back of a TH-67, I overheard some young student pilot talking to Montgomery approach. He kept replying to all ATC instructions with his tail number followed by “tally ho.” I was laughing because he sounded all confident and I suppose he was getting it confused with “roger.” Finally, approach says something like “Cessna 345, I’m not sure why you keep replying with tally ho. I haven’t issued you any traffic.” No reply at all but I’m sure I could hear the faint sound of gears turning in that student’s head. Must have had a former military IP teaching him. :)

What makes me want to turn around and go back to the hangar is the conversation between controllers with pilots who just don't get it.

ATC - Cessna 1234 taxi to runway 4 via delta
Pilot - Cessna 1234 taxiing to the runway
ATC - Cessna 1234 I need you to read back assigned runway with your aircraft call sign
Pilot - Cessna 1234 taxi via delta to the runway
ATC - No Cessna 1234, I need you to read back the assigned runway WITH your call sign, all in the same sentence.
Pilot - Okay, this is Cessna 1234 taxiing to runway delta via taxiway 4.

etc, etc

The slang doesn’t really bother me. “With you” doesn’t really bother me either. I just make sure when I teach new students, I make it a point to teach them proper phraseology starting day one.
For some reason, "With You" does bother me... The controller knows your with him, who else are you with....

But the call up by a pilot to a non-towered asking for adviseries or if anyone is in the pattern, blah, blah... that sets me off.

I just don't respond. Two clicks on the radio could be anyone and if ATC needed a response, it won't do. The only time they need a response is if they get it wrong.

If you do feel compelled to respond that they got it right, this is one of the few times when "Roger!" is correct phraseology. It means that you received and understood the transmission. So yell it out with pride and the knowledge that you, alone in the skies, are using it correctly. Five or six R's on the beginning help.
I think that's the real issue - feeling compelled to respond. It affects all of us to varying degrees. A favorite technique of interrogators (LEOs and attorneys taking depositions among them) is silence after the short answer and looking at the person being questioned. The pull to fill the void can be irresistible.

I am usually have #2 radio on the airport frequency by at least 50 miles out so I don't get surprises. And yes, one time I heard a business jet make that phrase so I warned him about the trains on the tracks and cars on the interstate not being on frequency...... he never said another word, so he might have thought I was a posterior hole...
Did he have a point? :D :D

For some reason, "With You" does bother me... The controller knows your with him, who else are you with....

But the call up by a pilot to a non-towered asking for adviseries or if anyone is in the pattern, blah, blah... that sets me off.
As most here know, I like that call.
I probably got from flying into the (old?) airport advisory areas that had an FSS on the field.
On initial call they would advise you of all known traffic.
It carried over into my corporate flying days where I wanted the big picture of where the traffic is.
I also understand the downsides of such a call, but on balance I chose to make it.

As most here know, I like that call.
I probably got from flying into the (old?) airport advisory areas that had an FSS on the field.
It carried over into my corporate flying days where I wanted the big picture of where the traffic is.
I also understand the downsides of such a call, but on balance I chose to make it.
I am usually beginning to monitor the AWOS/ASOS and CTAF on radio #2 as I am within 30nm out, gathering the mental picture of at least how many is in the pattern, what they are doing in the pattern...

I think that's the real issue - feeling compelled to respond. It affects all of us to varying degrees. A favorite technique of interrogators (LEOs and attorneys taking depositions among them) is silence after the short answer and looking at the person being questioned. The pull to fill the void can be irresistible.
We have the term "awkward silence" because of the human tendency to feel awkward when there is any unexpected silence. It's a very powerful thing, indeed, and even though I am a professional abuser of this human weakness, I still feel a little awkward when ATC says something to me and I don't say anything back. I don't respond, but I do feel awkward until the next time they say something that does require a response. Fortunately, most of my flights are eastbound and my home airport is just west of a Center boundary, so I usually don't have a long wait between "radar contact" and "contact Minneapolis Center." :)

Thanks for saying this. As a newer pilot, I have never had a chance to utilize the services of FSS on the field. I have studied flying into Canada as I am close to the border and it's still relatively common there. But I had not pieced together that this call (which I do maintain is 12 wasted syllables that do not make anyone safer) previously had a legitimate use.

I also don't get bent out of shape about pilots who make the call, unless they do it more than once. I recently posted a true story about a guy who said it at the end of literally every call he made from miles out to short final (in this thread: 06/22/2018 - I had a terrific day in the Cub. How was your flight?). That was annoying.

* Last call. ;)

How about "you've got a..." as in "Poduck traffic, you've got a bugsmasher departing runway 1-8 straight out departure Podunk"

Also, with all this great ADS-B info, I think I'll start helping out ATC by calling myself out to other traffic "N12345, traffic, 2 o'clock norteastbound, Saratoga 9,500". That would help, right? ;)

my favorite is always:

<Cirrus on short final, ATIS reporting 5 kt down the runway winds"

"Tower, Cirrus 12345, wind check"

Last edited:

Pick your battles!

But they could just say "10 miles southeast, straight in runway 30" or whatever, and the guy in the 152 will let them know he's there. "Any traffic in the area, please advise" is 12 syllables of wasted breath that adds exactly nothing to anyone's safety..

I agree completely. I was simply giving my anecdotal experience that the guys that seam to do it most at my non towered field are the experienced pilots that should know it's not appropriate.

Haven't seen that. Who does it (and by the way, WTBFD?)

"Position Checks", I believe Steveo1Kinevo says that, and I say it, up until now, but I'm not on Youtube. And I think in all reality most people, including me, don't think it's really a BFD, but it's fun to talk about.

Back