Sold my plane...Now what?

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
I originally purchased a 98 Archer III during PPL for the purpose of training and building experience. Got my PPL, IR, and a lot of experience. (About 600 hrs, with about 200 XC) Recently, I sold my plane to close on our dream house. (Found what we wanted before we had the money for closing.) Now, I'm wondering what the best course of action is for me.

I'm going to be quite busy for the remainder of this year, if not well into 2019. (Moving, remodeling, working to pay for it all.) Money will be tight, as I try to build our savings back up. (And our intention is to pay off the 30yr mortgage in 15yrs.) My plan is to buy a twin in a few years (probably a c310) to get my multi and build hours. (However, that may change to a complex faster single, you never know.) But, I'm probably not going to be flying much at all for the next few years.

There is a flying club 20 mins away (which I have already joined) that has a 99 Archer III (with better avionics AND AC) that rents for $135/hr wet. (Monthly dues are only $60) Strange thing is, I find myself uninterested in flying someone else's plane. I'm not sure why.

So now I'm wondering if I'm better off to just not fly until I buy another plane (at which time I would use a CFI for awhile until I knocked the rust off) or stay in the flying club and do monthly refresher flights.

Would love to hear from anyone who went several years without flying, and then came back to it.

Stay in that flying club. You'll be missing flying shortly, count on it.

The first thing I thought when I started reading your post was "flying club." Those rates are good, and in an aviation budget $60 is hardly a blip. It's probably worth it just to have a plane to keep current in, even if you're not enthusiastic about it. How much is the buy-in?

If I was looking for a fast complex single or twin and also trying to build the savings back up, I'd try to find a partnership. Splitting those expenses 3 or 4 ways could be a huge help. If you can accept the financial risk, you might consider buying the plane you really want, getting it configured/upgraded the way you really want, and then try to find a few people to buy a share of it.

There is a flying club 20 mins away (which I have already joined) that has a 99 Archer III (with better avionics AND AC) that rents for $135/hr wet. (Monthly dues are only $60)

Holy moly - why can't there be something like this anywhere close to me? Or, even a club to begin with? You'd think with a Class D and all the traffic here, the GA community would be thriving outside of the University traffic/operations. Nope.

Of all the pilots who stop flying "temporarily", I wonder what the percentage is that eventually resume. I'd guess it's pretty low.

You really needed to title this thread “Thinking about becoming a rusty pilot . . .”

When you own a plane you probably feel a little obligated to just fly that plane. When you rent, you gain freedom to fly anything and everything that you can get your hands on. This includes adding ratings such as multi-engine, seaplane, or glider. That’s what I’d suggest. Diversify!

Of all the pilots who stop flying "temporarily", I wonder what the percentage is that eventually resume. I'd guess it's pretty low.

Bingo. Reading these threads about "dream housing " (an oxymoron, in my life view) is like reading the obituaries.

I would suggest going another direction. Ditch the club, if you do not like flying it, and at such a low monthly rate, you are likely to rationalize it away until a whole year has passed without flying. Been there done that....
I figured this out to late (basically after I restarted flying after taking a couple of years off, kids in college, moving, remarried....); I have always wanted to add some additional ratings and fun things. Such as an unusual attitudes course, an acro class, tail wheel... I would therefore suggest instead you plan two maybe three weekends a year to chase a new flying thing. Always pick a location which has stuff for your SO to do. The result, you fly most of the day, and then spend the evening together. Great vacation, lowers the perceived cost of the trip since both of your are going, keeps you mentally in the flying game and re-ignites the passion for it.
Tim

Fly!

I've taken years off from flying due to various reasons. It's hard to get back into it once out. I find that my world is a better place when I get to fly, which is not nearly often enough.

I'm going to be quite busy for the remainder of this year, if not well into 2019. (Moving, remodeling, working to pay for it all.) Money will be tight, as I try to build our savings back up. (And our intention is to pay off the 30yr mortgage in 15yrs.) My plan is to buy a twin in a few years (probably a c310) to get my multi and build hours. (However, that may change to a complex faster single, you never know.) But, I'm probably not going to be flying much at all for the next few years.

I am at the tail end of what you doing with the work/home/mortgage thing... I made the commitment ten years ago to run a full court press to get the major monkey of our back... the mortgage.

With that, when I sold my plane I did join a club and kept flying...even if it was just a hour a month doing "bump and go-s around the dog patch..." or flying safety pilot.. Now that I am in a position to buy a plane I am starting to question it. I am taking a harder look at finding two or three others that are like me and doing a partnership... The hard part is finding the right recruits...

Yeah, I'll fly next week turns into months and before you know it a year has passed with no air time...:mad2: Stay in the game if you can...

Depends on why, how long they've been flying and how important it is to them.

Sometimes "temporary" turns permanent as their health doesn't improve. Or their finances don't get better.

I would try to fit in a regular schedule of flights ,to stay in the game. The more time you go without flying ,the harder it will be to get back.

if you have any interest in becoming a CFI, rent to get your commerical and CFI ratings and then let other people pay you to fly with them in their airplane(s).
Can get to fly a lot of different airplanes this way.
sound simple but the CFI is a lot of work to get, but if you enjoy that kind of thing is well worth it.

Brian

last time I did this.....it became a 15 year hiatus. o_O

cause renting really sucks.

I would try to fit in a regular schedule of flights ,to stay in the game. The more time you go without flying ,the harder it will be to get back.

Yup. Every other Wednesday go fly for an hour. Put it on the calendar, make room for it.

Not sure how many times the realtor told me that someone 'built this as their dream home'. I decided at some point that houses have to be 'ok' or 'good enough' but that they dont control my life.

I originally purchased a 98 Archer III during PPL for the purpose of training and building experience. Got my PPL, IR, and a lot of experience. (About 600 hrs, with about 200 XC) Recently, I sold my plane to close on our dream house. (Found what we wanted before we had the money for closing.) Now, I'm wondering what the best course of action is for me.

There is a flying club 20 mins away (which I have already joined) that has a 99 Archer III (with better avionics AND AC) that rents for $135/hr wet. (Monthly dues are only $60) Strange thing is, I find myself uninterested in flying someone else's plane. I'm not sure why.

So now I'm wondering if I'm better off to just not fly until I buy another plane (at which time I would use a CFI for awhile until I knocked the rust off) or stay in the flying club and do monthly refresher flights.

Would love to hear from anyone who went several years without flying, and then came back to it.

Didn't read the other responses, but I stopped flying after a couple years always knowing I would fly again...… it took me 26 years, wish I had kept flying.

I quit flying once; it took me about 19 years to get back to it again.

Ryk, thanks for the opportunity, we love the Archer!!! I say keep the club, pencil in one flight every 2-3 weeks, and once or twice a year do a trip like suggested above. Come back to Rapid City to show your wife the hills and do your Multi in our 310, or come down to Arizona and I will hook you up with our friends at Arizona Soaring for some glider flying or I can do you tailwheel and some Acro training if interested?

I am spoiled, can’t imagine not having a plane or two at all times. I would be afraid that if I quit for a while that I might not get back into it.

My first 310 was a 56 with brand new engines, we only paid 33k, but spent around 10k first year annual and max from it sitting. Loved that plane, but with no AP and dated avionics it didn’t make sense to keep.

Maybe you can find some partners and buy something. Some will complain about partners, but it has worked very well for me. I am on my fourth plant and am in two partnerships right now.

Jim

Holy moly - why can't there be something like this anywhere close to me? Or, even a club to begin with? You'd think with a Class D and all the traffic here, the GA community would be thriving outside of the University traffic/operations. Nope.

Yep. I feel your pain

I would suggest going another direction. Ditch the club, if you do not like flying it, and at such a low monthly rate, you are likely to rationalize it away until a whole year has passed without flying. Been there done that....
I figured this out to late (basically after I restarted flying after taking a couple of years off, kids in college, moving, remarried....); I have always wanted to add some additional ratings and fun things. Such as an unusual attitudes course, an acro class, tail wheel... I would therefore suggest instead you plan two maybe three weekends a year to chase a new flying thing. Always pick a location which has stuff for your SO to do. The result, you fly most of the day, and then spend the evening together. Great vacation, lowers the perceived cost of the trip since both of your are going, keeps you mentally in the flying game and re-ignites the passion for it.
Tim

Your thoughts are similar to mine.

After my last plane was lost, I, too wondered what to do. Haven't flown a small plane in 8 years now. First couple of years it was because the loss of my friends hit me hard. Then I had to pay for 3 colleges. Now the money is there and I've been doing some plane shopping. We'll see. Rentals locally just suck.

I find myself uninterested in flying someone else's plane. I'm not sure why.

I hear ya and agree. i recently bought an LSA, having sold my last plane in 2010. I started renting last summer only to keep current until i purchased. Renting does nothing else for me. This will be my fourth and final aircraft. for me, its all about "Pride of Ownership". Many may not see it that way. Good Luch to you...

After my last plane was lost, I, too wondered what to do. Haven't flown a small plane in 8 years now. First couple of years it was because the loss of my friends hit me hard. Then I had to pay for 3 colleges. Now the money is there and I've been doing some plane shopping. We'll see. Rentals locally just suck.

Get ‘Er done, it’s time.

Plus, when you’re on the ground the only interesting stuff going on is how to get your gargoyle back up on its perch. :)

That ain’t nearly as fun as leaving it sit there and going flying. :) :) :)

Back