Searching for CFI in Huntsville, AL

Josh Cobb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wav3rhythm
This is a bit of a stab in the dark, but I figured someone might be able to help.

I’m in the middle of a military change of station from Fort Leavenworth to Redstone Arsenal in Alabama. I’m a student pilot with about 20 hours trying to finish my training to take my check ride quickly. I know that I’ll have to do some dual time again to get another solo endorsement, but I don’t want to get into a cycle of changing instructor dragging out the process of earning my certificate.

The flying activity on the post (my first choice) said that they do not have any CFIs available for training right now. But I could keep checking for openings.

I’d like to stick with my next instructor for the remainder of my PPL as well as my instrument rating.

Does anyone have recommendations for a CFI in the area? Aircraft availability is a huge concern for me after maintenance issues at my last post.

Thanks,

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too far for me Mike, hour and a half drive, plus im slammed with students too. Redstone has a large flight club with a half dozen planes or so. I'll get,the link. BRB.

Here: http://www.flyingactivity.com/home/ ,mbut sounds like OP has already checked there. Still, might be his best bet and I'm sure someone will pick him up. Madison County has a flight school, and Moontown used to have a CFI and training, grass strip east of HSV. To the west is Decatur, used to have a flight school years ago.

Last edited:
Too far for me Mike, hour and a half drive, plus im slammed too with students too. Redstone has a large flight club with a half dozen planes or so. I'll get,the link. BRB.

Here: http://www.flyingactivity.com/home/ ,mbut sounds like OP has already checked there. Still, might be his best bet and I'm sure someone will pick him up. Madison County has a flight school, and Moontown used to have a CFI and training, grass strip east of HSV. To the west is Decatur, used to have a flight school years ago.

Mscard88 & Mike,

Thanks! I checked with the flying activity. All 21 of their CFIs are booked right now. I suppose that’s great for GA, but rough for me.

I arrive Monday so I’ll go poke around the hangar when I get there and see what’s available.

Mscard88 & Mike,

Thanks! I checked with the flying activity. All 21 of their CFIs are booked right now. I suppose that’s great for GA, but rough for me.

Probably 20 of those 21 are part timers, so their availability may not be what you would think. Where I'm at we're all part timers. Feels full time some days though.

Probably 20 of those 21 are part timers, so their availability may not be what you would think. Where I'm at we're all part timers. Feels full time some days though.

For sure! At my last flying club, all the instructors were part time. I just think it’s awesome that there is enough interest in learning to fly that they’re all booked with students.

As a student pilot, we owe people like yourself a debt of gratitude for spending your time teaching us how to fly.

As a student pilot, we owe people like yourself a debt of gratitude for spending your time teaching us how to fly.

Appreciate the kind thought. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it, and feel I can contribute.

Have you spoken with a gentleman named John Blevins down there? He's based at HSV. Good CFI and a real rocket scientist! If not, PM me and I'll try to get his contact info to you.

Check the CFI directory at Gold Seal. Search by Alabama and you'll get instructors sorted by city with all their contact info. You do have to register first, but no charge for that. The registration part is to prevent bots from harvesting email addresses and phone numbers from the list.
www.GroundSchool.com

Josh,
Shoot me a PM with your phone number if you'd like me to call you with suggestions.

Glad you asked. The flight school at HSV has a couple of Skyhawks and an LSA. They stay in good shape since the maintenance shop is right there. On Saturday, I'm meeting with a couple of guys and I'll ask for suggestions.

Oh, and most important, welcome to Huntsville.

I talked to Mike Mcintosh at Revolution Flight School at HSV and he said there were several CFI's that were available for intense training. Try them at 256 542-3585.

I'm a student at RSA Flying Club. It's been good. I really like my instructor and have somewhere south of 30 hours. I fly the 152s which seem very under used compared to the 172s. I've never had an issue scheduling a 152 when I thought about flying. The club's other planes are busier though. I think matching your desired training time to a CFI's schedule is the key. If you want to fly at 5pm during the week then you'll have to wait.

Back