Too Much YouTube

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
So yesterday, I'm departing from RDU. I'm handed off to Approach and report in, "one two hundred climbing two thousand five hundred." They were pretty busy and I was level at 2500 by the time I got the return call. "Radar contact. 4 miles from Raleigh Durham two thousand five hundred.

"Position checks" popped into my head :eek:. Never made it to my lips.:) But it was scary to think watching pilots on YouTube can infiltrate your head that way.:loco:

:stirpot:

I’ve almost said it a few times too. It’s something one can say to themselves, the controller doesn’t need to know unless it doesn’t check, then say something. :)

On the other hand @midlifeflyer the “speed checks” in the cockpit before throwing a flap or gear lever is one the pro YouTube crowd all uses as standard phraseology, and is one I’ve been happy to pick up. Might as well pause and think before tossing handles around, eh? ;)

Meh. If tossing out that phrase to ATC is my worst foul for the flight then I consider it a good day. I’ve said “position checks” before. I mean heck if it’s good enough for SteveO it’s good enough for me.

I always confirm my location compared to the ATC advised position and then typically just respond 45Yankee. However, I have let that 'position checks' slip out also. o_O Too quick on the PTT. ;) Mouth getting ahead of the brain.

On the other hand @midlifeflyer the “speed checks” in the cockpit before throwing a flap or gear lever is one the pro YouTube crowd all uses as standard phraseology, and is one I’ve been happy to pick up. Might as well pause and think before tossing handles around, eh? ;)
Serious digression:

Hopefully most of us check our speed to confirm we are at or below Vfe or Vle, whether silently or out loud :eek:

There's a lot of very good self talk that goes on in the cockpit. Oral callouts are excellent ways of focusing our attention on checklist items (flow or written). I do most of those silently; trying to get more verbal about it. Catch phrases, "airspeed alive," "three green; cleared to land," are good things.

Of course when ATC makes it's required call to inform me of my position, I check to see if something is wrong. It was just funny that this YouTubian phrase I never heard of until 2-3 years ago popped in my head.

Oh oh, position checks, lol, guilty. Guessing I need to pull out the AIM.

So yesterday, I'm departing from RDU. I'm handed off to Approach and report in, "one two hundred climbing two thousand five hundred." They were pretty busy and I was level at 2500 by the time I got the return call. "Radar contact. 4 miles from Raleigh Durham two thousand five hundred.

"Position checks" popped into my head :eek:. Never made it to my lips.:) But it was scary to think watching pilots on YouTube can infiltrate your head that way.:loco:

the tail is wagging the dog. If you say that the tail is wagging the dog, you mean that a small or unimportant part of something is becoming too important and is controlling the whole thing.

I find pilot videos to be profoundly boring unless said pilot is doing something illegal, stupid, or both.

"one two hundred climbing two thousand five hundred." Climbing 2500? As in 2500 feet/minute? Don't know what you're flying, but I want one.

We need some ‘National Days.’ I’ll start it off. The second Sunday of July will be National With You Day

I find pilot videos to be profoundly boring unless said pilot is doing something illegal, stupid, or both.

"one two hundred climbing two thousand five hundred." Climbing 2500? As in 2500 feet/minute? Don't know what you're flying, but I want one.

Well, if he said "climbing to two thousand five hundred," the controller might think that he's really planning on leveling off at FL225.

Well, if he said "climbing to two thousand five hundred," the controller might think that he's really planning on leveling off at FL225.
Of course, silly me. Thought there was something good coming.

By the way, the feature about you and your aircraft in Sport Aviation was quite nice.

position checks. absolute filth. never even crossed my mind to say that garbage.

1,200 = "One thousand, two hundred" 2,500 = "two thousand, five hundred" , that's the standard phraseology per the AIM.

I've never noticed this before, and I do watch those youtube flying videos...god, I hope this doesn't now pop out at me like, dare I say, the time someone pointed out vocal fry to me. Now I hear vocal fry all the time, and it drives me absolutely nuts! (If you don't know what vocal fry is, do yourself a favor and DO NOT google it...you've been warned).

"Position checks" reached out and grabbed me on my last flight - never had before. I will usually say that about altitude, but not position - looks like I fell victim.

Now I hear vocal fry all the time, and it drives me absolutely nuts!

Same here. When my GF and I are watching TV, I can't help but point it out. I was listening to a "This American Life" podcast a while back and it seems that EVERY reporter/producer/whatever had it. I don't know how one is able to have a job in broadcasting or voice journalism and have vocal fry.

"Position checks" reached out and grabbed me on my last flight - never had before. I will usually say that about altitude, but not position - looks like I fell victim.

Same here. When my GF and I are watching TV, I can't help but point it out. I was listening to a "This American Life" podcast a while back and it seems that EVERY reporter/producer/whatever had it. I don't know how one is able to have a job in broadcasting or voice journalism and have vocal fry.
Funny you mention "This American Life"...that is played on NPR around here, and EVERYONE (even the guys) on NPR in Detroit have vocal fry.

OK so to prevent me from pulling out the AIM what is the proper reply etiquette for "Bugsmasher123 radar contact 10 miles S of Podunk municipal." ?

OK so to prevent me from pulling out the AIM what is the proper reply etiquette for "Bugsmasher123 radar contact 10 miles S of Podunk municipal." ?

same 'response' as when they tell you "winds 230 at 8"

position checks. absolute filth. never even crossed my mind to say that garbage.

But now it has. Now you will have to resist the urge. Don’t fight it, c’mon over to the dark side. Or you can do some aversion therapy. Go to a mirror and say it over and over again until you puke

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, it's tough out there, standardized phraseology is tough to follow, there are also a million combinations of communication that can happen, all we can do is try to learn. I had a busy controller who was unsure he heard my call sign correctly, so he read it back, correctly saying "was that N12345" , I replied with the complete call sign and affirmative when an affirmative, and maybe 345 would have sufficed. Maybe a two or three seconds of extra words, but he was in rapid fire mode and I slowed him down unnecessarily.

Hey, it's tough out there, standardized phraseology is tough to follow, there are also a million combinations of communication that can happen, all we can do is try to learn. I had a busy controller who was unsure he heard my call sign correctly, so he read it back, correctly saying "was that N12345" , I replied with the complete call sign and affirmative when an affirmative, and maybe 345 would have sufficed. Maybe a two or three seconds of extra words, but he was in rapid fire mode and I slowed him down unnecessarily.

as Bob would say, "don't worry about it". seriously though, that's like nothing to be concerned about.

My biggest pet peeve is "Bugsmasher123 10 miles N of Podunk landing 17, Any traffic please advise". That and people that operate their electric flaps while talking on the radio drive me nuts.

My biggest pet peeve is "Bugsmasher123 10 miles N of Podunk landing 17, Any traffic please advise". That and people that operate their electric flaps while talking on the radio drive me nuts.

OK, so very little specific phrases annoy me but simply overusing the Unicom burns me up. "Hey Charles, what you been up to? Awe, I've been busy at the farm. Haven't been up flying much lately..."

But yeah, "Any traffic please advise" is one phrase I could do without. Interestingly at my fairly sleepy home drone the pilots I hear most often use that phrase are the infrequent biz jet pilots shooting a straight in approach. I get it though. It probably is a little nerve racking coming off that radar into an uncontrolled airport with Cherokees buzzing around. Honestly would rather them make that call then say nothing and hit a 152 trying to take off.

The controller will also tell you the local altimeter setting, so you could read that back...if you want to.

"30.21 Bugsmasher 123"

But yeah, "Any traffic please advise" is one phrase I could do without. Interestingly at my fairly sleepy home drone the pilots I hear most often use that phrase are the infrequent biz jet pilots shooting a straight in approach. I get it though. It probably is a little nerve racking coming off that radar into an uncontrolled airport with Cherokees buzzing around. Honestly would rather them make that call then say nothing and hit a 152 trying to take off.
But they could just say "10 miles southeast, straight in runway 30" or whatever, and the guy in the 152 will let them know he's there. "Any traffic in the area, please advise" is 12 syllables of wasted breath that adds exactly nothing to anyone's safety.

I just don't respond. Two clicks on the radio could be anyone and if ATC needed a response, it won't do. The only time they need a response is if they get it wrong.

If you do feel compelled to respond that they got it right, this is one of the few times when "Roger!" is correct phraseology. It means that you received and understood the transmission. So yell it out with pride and the knowledge that you, alone in the skies, are using it correctly. Five or six R's on the beginning help.

So lets start the list of annoying phrases all over again...

• With You
  • Tally Ho
  • "Any Traffic or Advisories in the pattern" ugghh the Fing worst...

Come keep it going...

Back