On the cusp of odd/even +500

N

NVflying45

The other day I was fighting the winds trying to maintain a 5 degree track to my destination, there was heavy crosswinds and gusts. I was maintaining 3500 feet 25 miles from a class c airport but occasionally the track went to the even plus 500 foot side I corrected. I was monitoring the arrival/departure frequency and they called a piper saying tragic 12 o’clock 5 miles then 1 mile and they had traffic on sight which was apparently me. He checked in with approach or had flight following. I thought there was no need to considering I was so far away from the C airspace plus it was a short flight. He must have been fighting the winds as well. If his track was 179 that put us at the same altitude. My question is if both of us were right trying to be safe pilots, should I expect a letter on the mail and should I always contact approach although it’s not required?

If ATC didn’t ping you at the time and give you a PD and/or number to call, than I can’t imagine you will ever receive a letter in the mail.

Next time, call up ATC regardless of the circumstances.

If ATC didn’t ping you at the time and give you a PD and/or number to call, than I can’t imagine you will ever receive a letter in the mail.

Next time, call up ATC regardless of the circumstances.

Yes you are right, I’ll check in with them from now on. I’m a relatively new pilot I trained over 150 miles away from any Charlie airspace and don’t have too much experience. I’ll be honest I somewhat nervous feeling like a fumbling fool talking with those fast talking controllers.

If you aren't talking to ATC and you aren't broadcasting your N number over ADS-B or mode S, it makes it hard for them to bust you for some infraction - real or imagined. Please make it easy for ATC.

In the grand scheme of things...None :)

EXACTLY,

My question is if both of us were right trying to be safe pilots,

If Aircraft 1 is at 5500' with a course of 90 degrees and aircraft 2 is flying 5500' flying a course of 179 degrees one of them could get T-boned.... but if aircraft 2 is one degree more (180) they are guaranteed to miss by at least 1000'. Great plan...

Yes you are right, I’ll check in with them from now on. I’m a relatively new pilot I trained over 150 miles away from any Charlie airspace and don’t have too much experience. I’ll be honest I somewhat nervous feeling like a fumbling fool talking with those fast talking controllers.
You don't have to talk to them in the situation you described, but they can be helpful. Don't worry about feeling like a fumbling fool, they are working for you, just think of it that way. If they give you an instruction and you don't understand, just say "say again". The more you talk to them the easier it gets.

I wonder has anyone in the history of aviation not talking to ATC and not in ABCD space been busted for flying the wrong altitude? How exactly would that work? I mean I can see how they could track you down if they wanted to but seriously would they bother?

I wonder has anyone in the history of aviation not talking to ATC and not in ABCD space been busted for flying the wrong altitude? How exactly would that work? I mean I can see how they could track you down if they wanted to but seriously would they bother?

Until now I don't think there was a way for them to know your ID. But with ADSB that is changing. Yet I don't see them caring unless you cause a conflict with another aircraft they are talking to. Even then I think it would take too much of an effort to put all the info together like AGL, were you cruising or maneuvering, climbing, descending, etc. Nah, I don't think it will ever happen....

If anything happens (i doubt it will) just explain you were unable to maintain VFR above 3,500 ft. Flying VFR allows you allot of discretion.

EXACTLY,

If Aircraft 1 is at 5500' with a course of 90 degrees and aircraft 2 is flying 5500' flying a course of 179 degrees one of them could get T-boned.... but if aircraft 2 is one degree more (180) they are guaranteed to miss by at least 1000'. Great plan...
Got a better one?

The other day I was fighting the winds trying to maintain a 5 degree track to my destination, there was heavy crosswinds and gusts. I was maintaining 3500 feet 25 miles from a class c airport but occasionally the track went to the even plus 500 foot side I corrected.
The hemispheric rule is based on your magnetic course, not what your momentary ground track might be while bracketing the course.

Draw the line on the chart and determine the magnetic course. That MC will be the course used in applying the hemispheric rule regardless of winds and regardless of how poorly you might track the course due to the winds.

If anything happens (i doubt it will) just explain you were unable to maintain VFR above 3,500 ft. Flying VFR allows you allot of discretion.
Necro2.jpg

This thread was only dead for two months. I've seen MUCH worse.
Sure, but I think it's worth pointing out when someone revives a thread and people start responding to posts that were made even a few months ago.

Wish I had a "gentler" graphic for more recently dead threads though.

I'm sure when the ADS-M mandate is complete the NextAfterNextGen ATC system will not need this hemispheric rule. Early whispering is this super futuristic system will be called Sky Net and it will work beautifully until it becomes self aware.

I'm sure when the ADS-M mandate is complete the NextAfterNextGen ATC system will not need this hemispheric rule. Early whispering is this super futuristic system will be called Sky Net and it will work beautifully until it becomes self aware.

They are still very likely to use it to some extent to maintain an orderly flow of traffic. Even today the East/West, 360/180, division is not cast in concrete for ATC. In Florida it most likely runs on a more Northerly/Southerly scheme. There are many places, via Letter of Agreement between facilities, that the flow of traffic does not stick to the Hemispheric Rule.

Sure, but I think it's worth pointing out when someone revives a thread and people start responding to posts that were made even a few months ago.

Wish I had a "gentler" graphic for more recently dead threads though.
I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about your post. I enjoyed the funny graphic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back