Can I still be a pilot?

youngdumbbroke

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
youngdumbbroke
I'm 24 yrs old and want to get my pilots license. I have one issue though. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor, but I wasn't convicted of it and it later was expunged. What are my chances of getting my pilots license let alone being a pilot?

I think your chances are quite good. I think no conviction means just that.

I'm 24 yrs old and want to get my pilots license. I have one issue though. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor, but I wasn't convicted of it and it later was expunged. What are my chances of getting my pilots license let alone being a pilot?
  1. Are you willing to reveal what the actual charge was? It's difficult to provide more detailed answers when we don't know if misdemeanor was for littering near the Stockbridge Trinity Church after a Thanksgiving Dinner or for something more serious.
  2. As @EdFred asks, if it was alcohol or substance related, this brings in additional requirements during the medical certification application process. So if that is your case, then be ready for the additional burden of gathering additional documents and jumping through additional hoops.
  3. Please do a search on this forum for the keyword "expunged" and "expunge" to find threads on this topic. To summarize, what you will find is that flying is a "federal" activity, and as such, the record of your arrest and adjudication remains in the federal database. So just because it was expunged at the county or state level does not mean the action or adjudication is gone forever. You may need to be ready to provide additional explanations about the incident.
Once we have more information about your incident, we can provide better answers.

No it wasn't alcohol related and I didn't rob or kill anyone

@AggieMike88 since you're concerned about the charge it was unlawful use of telephone which is a law in South Carolina. You can look it up yourself, but as said this was a few years ago.

@AggieMike88 since you're concerned about the charge it was unlawful use of telephone which is a law in South Carolina. You can look it up yourself, but as said this was a few years ago.
Thank you for sharing, and no need to take a tone.

There can be some misdemeanors that will create medical certification issues which is why I asked.

I don't see yours being an issue.

That being said, it is still recommended to all prospective pilots to review questions 17, 18, and 19 of the FAA Form 8500-8 to determine if there are other items in your medical history that might create stumbles or landmines. If there are, then do a consultation visit an Aviation Medical Examiner first, not an official live exam. Every airman starting out "doesn't know what he doesn't know", and with medical certification you can get wrapped around the axle quickly if you do a live exam before you learn what you need to know about thorny item in your history.

Just be sure you're up front and honest on your application. A misdemeanor shouldn't be an issue, but hiding things is an issue. Good luck!

In his defense you sounded pretty nosy with your inquiry.
Understood.... but as stated, in order to provide the proper level of assistance, it helps to get the full info.

As far as medical goes I do have a history of depression.

Sounds like you have more than one issue then.. this could get tricky. You'll need an AME that knows what he's doing. Currently on meds?

As far as medical goes I do have a history of depression.
This is one of the medical history items (question 18m) that will require more detail, including when and who diagnosed it, what form, is it manifesting today, and how it's being treated.

Additional documentation and steps to qualify for the medical certification will be needed. This may include additional testing and reporting by the proper psychiatrists so that a report that fits the FAA square pegs and round holes is generated.

And you need to make sure to link up with an Aviation Medical Examiner that really, REALLY, understands how to walk you through the process.

Such an AME is Dr. Bruce Chien, (@bbchien on this forum), based near Chicago, IL. If you wish to discuss your situation and how to proceed, he can be reached through his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

To be honest I just came here to genrally ask If I still have a chance to be a pilot or not, but no I'm currently not on meds.

The honest answer is maybe. You'll want to consult with an AME regarding the depression as to what extent it was and what the cause was and if it is likely to recur.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com

3 rules when dealing with him...
#1 be honest
#2 be honest
#3 be honest

And I say that as one of his friends.

I'll second the recommendation of Dr. Bruce. If you want a quick answer from some guy on the internet, my gut feeling is that you do have a chance, with some hoops to go through. Note that there are other show-stoppers like ADHD, anxiety, etc. that some people don't think about.

The great thing about Dr. Bruce is he can usually tell you, with certainty, if your application will be a success.

To be honest I just came here to genrally ask If I still have a chance to be a pilot or not, but no I'm currently not on meds.
If the history of depression has resolved and you are not on meds today, that can work in your favor.

However, you have the depression diagnosis in your medical history, and the FAA will want to know more detail about it. Their take is "It happened in the past, and it could happen in the future".

For extra credit reading, google Andreas Lubitz and the Germanwings incident.

Yeah, you might not be wanting to fly for an airline, but the standard still exists and the FAA will still want to know the detail.

Dr. Bruce Chien at www.aeromedicaldoc.com is the person who can best advise you.

@EdFred is it a maybe because I have an arrest and history of depression or both?

The arrest history is a non-concern. Depression gets iffy, and there's a myriad of follow up questions as to what "depression" you are talking about. Broke up with your girlfriend depression? Lost a parent/sibling depression or, months on end where there's no explanation other than a chemical imbalance. None of which is our (the forum member's) business, and should be discussed between you and the AME. (Aviation Medical Examiner)

@youngdumbbroke - I wouldn't sweat the misdemeanor stuff at all. Last year I got my 3rd class. I also had to answer yes to that same question (2 occurances'). The AME looked at me (now 30yrs after the events), smiled, laughed and gave me **** about it. Signed the medical and told me to get flying (he is cool BTW).

To your second issue mentioned and regarding Dr Bruce : :yeahthat:

...now comes the interesting part, what will you do? You could hear this and give up because it means having to talk to a AME specializing in these cases. It could cost you a few $$$ to really know your answer. But what if a its just a few hundred dollars and a non-issue. You could then go on to fly, make big $$$$$$ with the airlines and have hot babes throwing themselves at you because you are a PILOT. That is not depression :)

Last edited:
Sure hope it wasn't as one of those scammer telemarketers. I'd be tempted to give you a single skydiving lesson sans parachute

Joking. Well, joking somewhat.

@EdFred is it a maybe because I have an arrest and history of depression or both?

Hey, contact Dr Chien. I've had two recent students, one who contacted the Doc and has his medical, the other who went at it on his own and was denied a flight medical. You may not have to compensate the Doc if it's a simple matter, but even if you have to pay Dr Chien its worth the expense.

Last edited:
Hey, contact Dr Chien. I've had two recent students, one who contacted the Doc and has his medical, the other who went at it on his own and was denied a flight medical. You may not have to compensate the Doc if it's a simple matter, but even if you have to pay Dr Chien its worth the expense.
Pay the professional what he is worth.

@youngdumbbroke - I wouldn't sweat the misdemeanor stuff at all. Last year I got my 3rd class. I also had to answer yes to that same question (2 occurances'). The AME looked at me (now 30yrs after the events), smiled, laughed and gave me **** about it. Signed the medical and told me to get flying (he is cool BTW).

:)

I have to wonder if your reaction to that ribbing got you your medical, a smile and a sheepish grin versus turning red and getting PO'd told him what he needed to know. Congrats on your medical btw.

I'll second, third, and fourth this!

I used Dr Bruce for my third-class medical and even flew to Illinois to see him in person for the exam. I had a couple relatively minor medical issues (OSA and Glaucoma) but I didn't want to run the risk of me or an "unknown" (to me anyway) AME doing something wrong with the paperwork, and getting a denial, or it taking months for the FAA to process. Dr Bruce was fantastic, and the whole process went very smoothly.

When all these people advise to contact him, they mean it. The guy's the real deal.

since you're concerned about the charge it was unlawful use of telephone which is a law in South Carolina. You can look it up yourself, but as said this was a few years ago.

Looked it up. Wow! The law effectively makes having phone sex illegal. Or worse - you can get arrested, fined $5000 and imprisoned for 30 days for even just lending your phone to a buddy so that he can talk dirty to his girlfriend.

It’s not one of those crazy historical laws that are still on the books - this one was passed in 2012!

What kind’a crazy ass polician signed THAT law??

Just my opinion, but if I were charged with something but not convicted, I wouldn't mention it. Anyone can be charged or sued, but being found guilty is when it becomes real. It's been a while, but do they ask anywhere if you were charged with a crime, or just found guilty?

Only felony convictions would lead you to having a tough time or any kind of DUI or similar incident. However a word of advice, if you plan on going into the airline industry I suggest you have your record sealed or expunged. It is not a difficult process and will save you allot of headaches and questioning. FAA only cares if you are convicted of a crime. I would be willing to bet OJ Simpson could get a pilots license.

Back