Nashville...

Nashville is a pretty cool town. Check out Knoxville sometime too if you've never been.
The downtown airport, on an island in the Tennessee River, is cool to fly in and out of. It's been a few years, I assume it's still there (the airport, not the town! ;) )

Nashville is a pretty cool town. Check out Knoxville sometime too if you've never been.
The downtown airport, on an island in the Tennessee River, is cool to fly in and out of. It's been a few years, I assume it's still there (the airport, not the town! ;) )
That was Cornelia Fort Airport, and it shut down about 7-8 years ago after flooding took out much of the airport. It's now a park. I flew once to Nashville when it was still open but flew into John C. Tune, because that was closer to my aunt at the time. I wish I had stopped in, looks like a cool airport.

Edit: I reread your post and you're referring to the Knoxville Downtown Airport...yep it's still there (this week anyway).

My approach into John Tune coming from the north around the misty hills has been one of my favorites so far. Beautiful scenery.

Go 2-3 blocks to the southeast from where that photo was taken and have some excellent street style tacos and margaritas at Bakersfield (corner of 3rd and Demonbreun). They also have specials on bourbon and tequila, but those are not kind to me so I can't vouch for the quality.

Also, soon to be partnered in a Wheeler Express at KJWN in the next week or so. It's a nice, convenient airport.

Doggone it, I was in Nashville this weekend too! I was staying in the gulch though. I much prefer Broadway I think. Lots of new rooftop bars all along Broadway.

Flew into john tune a couple times. Really nice. Loved Nashville. The music / bar strip is really neat and loaded with incredible food and entertainment.

My only disappointment was the smoking. Several years back Arkansas made it illegal to smoke inside any place that served food. My wife and I get stuffy and a headache from cigarette smoke. Couldn’t even go into any of the bars along the strip.

Love Nashville, another vote for Acme Feed and Seed.

How is it getting downtown from John Tune? First time I flew into Symrna because I had a pax that it was closer to,I uber’d Downtown. Went to BNA a couple of months ago because it was closest to downtown. Cost me a little extra taxi time, but no complaints. Most likely will go to BNA again, but will consider John Tune.

Yes, Downtown island is still there.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge - KGKT is another nice place to fly into, the Tennessee Museum of Aviation is right on the airfield. They have a pretty nice collection.

Jim

Flew into john tune a couple times. Really nice. Loved Nashville. The music / bar strip is really neat and loaded with incredible food and entertainment.

My only disappointment was the smoking. Several years back Arkansas made it illegal to smoke inside any place that served food. My wife and I get stuffy and a headache from cigarette smoke. Couldn’t even go into any of the bars along the strip.

When were you here? I can’t remeber encountering any smoking inside bars / restaurants.

And a little info on getting around in Nashville. In our limited time there it looked like uber was by far the best option. Even better than a crew car (if it were available) due to parking fees. When uber is $15 and parking is $10-$20 anywhere near the downtown area I would opt for the uber!

Tune to Downtown is a much easier route than Smyrna.

If you fly the southern straight-in approach or departure to/from Tune, be sure and wave 2 miles out. We’re always waving back.

Best flavor in the gulch is “The Little Octopus” (garden-based dishes)

- avoid Bar Louie in the gulch - worst bar ever.

- Party Fowl is a great surprise if you like chicken... but you don’t like it too hot.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Unfortunately I got busy and never saw them till I got back. It was a blast. Good food, music, people, and nice clean city.

How is it getting downtown from John Tune? First time I flew into Symrna because I had a pax that it was closer to,I uber’d Downtown. Went to BNA a couple of months ago because it was closest to downtown. Cost me a little extra taxi time, but no complaints. Most likely will go to BNA again, but will consider John Tune.

Tune was great. Easy in and out. The FBO was very nice and they were very helpful. $15 a night for the 310 with first night waived if you grab 20 gallons or more. They have self serve that is $1 cheaper a gallon. Uber was quick (10-15 min) and cheap downtown and we walked most every where else from our hotel. Every time I go back to Nashville will be through Tune.

Sounds like a potential fly-in destination...
I think it would work well. They just had the Twin Cessna Convention there and I believe Tune took good care of everyone. Unfortunately I couldn't make it in for that.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Unfortunately I got busy and never saw them till I got back. It was a blast. Good food, music, people, and nice clean city.

Tune was great. Easy in and out. The FBO was very nice and they were very helpful. $15 a night for the 310 with first night waived if you grab 20 gallons or more. They have self serve that is $1 cheaper a gallon. Uber was quick (10-15 min) and cheap downtown and we walked most every where else from our hotel. Every time I go back to Nashville will be through Tune.

How long was your stay?

How long was your stay?
We just stayed 3 days/2 nights. We went to most the major bar's where the good live music was, saw the NFL stadium, NHL arena, country music hall of fame and ate some local places. Pretty cool city.

Getting back was fun as there was a bunch of convective wx. I had to fly west out of Nashville all the way to the Mississippi River (with a 50kt headwind) then hook a right in a 12 mile gap between two systems (ATC really helped out with a PIREP in there for me). This flight really made me love my GTX345/Foreflight even more than before! When I made the north turn the headwind diminished down to about 15 kts. :)

We just stayed 3 days/2 nights. We went to most the major bar's where the good live music was, saw the NFL stadium, NHL arena, country music hall of fame and ate some local places. Pretty cool city.

Getting back was fun as there was a bunch of convective wx. I had to fly west out of Nashville all the way to the Mississippi River (with a 50kt headwind) then hook a right in a 12 mile gap between two systems (ATC really helped out with a PIREP in there for me). This flight really made me love my GTX345/Foreflight even more than before! When I made the north turn the headwind diminished down to about 15 kts. :)

Sounds like you had a great adventure. Nash has been on my flying bucket list along with some other destinations. I just can’t get my wife’s work schedule to line up. I tell you the weather this year has been a challenge so far. Even with the IR most of the time I just don’t want to deal with it. Glad you had a safe trip. Hope there is a video coming...;)

Sounds like you had a great adventure. Nash has been on my flying bucket list along with some other destinations. I just can’t get my wife’s work schedule to line up. I tell you the weather this year has been a challenge so far. Even with the IR most of the time I just don’t want to deal with it. Glad you had a safe trip. Hope there is a video coming...;)
Thanks Mac! I understand about the schedules lining up. That is the thing that holds us back the most. Can't wait for retirement!! I'm with you on the weather this time of year. I flat out refuse to be IMC if convective or chance of convective is around so if I can't reasonably get on top to avoid or stay VMC below to avoid I just don't go. I'm a little behind on editing. I've got one to finish up then I'll get to upload the cameras and if things recorded okay I'll turn it into something. :)

Is it Southeast enough to call it the next Southeast fly in? :)

My wife and I are planning on doing a weekend trip there sometime. Maybe this fall. I’m surprised how pricey the hotels are in downtown, even when Vanderbilt is playing away.

So, I’m enjoying reading this thread.

When visiting Nashville don't automatically rule out MQY as an option. Huge runways, 15 minutes to downtown and Smyrna has a lot of food and hotel options on its own. I lived there for a long time and it's amazing how much it has grown over the last 10 years.

Between the heat and the thunderstorms, it’s been a tough summer to even consider flying...

Back