No engine landings are a breeze.

Congratulations, now go practice some engine-out climbs.

Cool! Congrats! What kind of glider?

For those who are interested, I did it in a Schweizer 2-33. A pretty basic flying machine with just a compass, altimeter, airspeed, variometer, and of course the very important yaw string. It also had spoilers in addition to the ailerons, rudder, and elevator.

Took me a whopping 2.9 hours to solo. Then 1 hour of solo flight which was 10 quick flights of .1 hours each, dropping off tow at 1500' and heading straight to the pattern. Then another .4 for the recommendation for the checkride and .5 for the checkride. So a whopping 4.8 hours from first flight to the rating. Pretty cool huh?

Though I must admit that during those first few tows, I did not think I'd ever get there. That was the hardest part of it all.

For those who are interested, I did it in a Schweizer 2-33. A pretty basic flying machine with just a compass, altimeter, airspeed, variometer, and of course the very important yaw string. It also had spoilers in addition to the ailerons, rudder, and elevator.

Took me a whopping 2.9 hours to solo. Then 1 hour of solo flight which was 10 quick flights of .1 hours each, dropping off tow at 1500' and heading straight to the pattern. Then another .4 for the recommendation for the checkride and .5 for the checkride. So a whopping 4.8 hours from first flight to the rating. Pretty cool huh?

Though I must admit that during those first few tows, I did not think I'd ever get there. That was the hardest part of it all.

Congratulations. Yeah, it's weird at first. I made it to Solo but didn't follow through to cert. This might be a good time to give the Slipping Sleeping Dog a kick and talk about slipping while climbing

Congratulations. Yeah, it's weird at first. I made it to Solo but didn't follow through to cert. This might be a good time to give the Slipping Sleeping Dog a kick and talk about slipping while climbing
:eek:
Kick the dog???!!!

You should definitely finish the rating. I'm glad I did it. Now I need to learn thermaling and more advance aspects of soaring.

Awesome! Like Luv, I did several solos but never got my cert. Examiner canceled at the last minute and I got orders to Okinawa so I never completed it. Some of the most fun flying that I’ve done though. There’s a well known glider strip across the border in TN that I keep telling myself to go to and finish. Some day. Knocked out ME this year so maybe next year.

Last edited:
:eek:
Kick the dog???!!!

You should definitely finish the rating. I'm glad I did it. Now I need to learn thermaling and more advance aspects of soaring.

Ya know, maybe I just will. I could have gotten the Private add on then, but wanted do the Commercial. Had to head back North for the summer and when I got up here there were scheduling issues at the local joint. Busy CFI's, what few there were. Tow pilots not showing up. I just lost interest. Maybe I'll just check the place out again and see how they are doing now. Man, if I had it to do over I'd a done Glider first and then airplane

Congratulations. I fell in love with soaring when I got my rating. I just did my first cross country in my Ka6 a few weeks ago, its pretty thrilling to spend 3 hours in the air and actually go somewhere without an engine. I hope you stay with it, the rewards are definitely worth all of the work once you can actually soar.

Jim

Congratulations. I fell in love with soaring when I got my rating. I just did my first cross country in my Ka6 a few weeks ago, its pretty thrilling to spend 3 hours in the air and actually go somewhere without an engine. I hope you stay with it, the rewards are definitely worth all of the work once you can actually soar.

Jim

I’m really hoping to do that.

People see my glider log, with about 275 hours in gliders over something like 800 flights, and their first question is, "what glider port did you work at?" ;)

Back