Thoughts on places to stop between MYF and MDW?

N1120A

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
N1120A
All,

I'm about to embark on an adventure between MYF and MDW, with an instrument rated safety pilot friend coming along to build hours and let me gain a bunch of hood time, in an Arrow.

I have some general thoughts about where to stop, depending on conditions, but does anyone have suggestions? Our general route of flight will take us down to DMN/DNA/ELP and then work up to MDW, as we're not turbo'd and looking to keep to 9000 max. Any great airport restaurants? Nice FBOs to work with?

Thanks.

An Arrow with two people will do just fine going the northern route via ABQ/SAF.

That’s what I’d do. Depart from MYF, stop at Sedona for lunch/fuel. Overnight in Santa Fe (leave early the next morning to minimize the density altitude and plan a lunch stop at Ponca City, OK (PNC).

Once you get east of NM/CO, it gets pretty boring fast. That’s the best time to put on the hood.

Borger, TX (BGD) has a super friendly FBO - or at least did.

An Arrow with two people will do just fine going the northern route via ABQ/SAF.

That’s what I’d do. Depart from MYF, stop at Sedona for lunch/fuel. Overnight in Santa Fe (leave early the next morning to minimize the density altitude and plan a lunch stop at Ponca City, OK (PNC).

Once you get east of NM/CO, it gets pretty boring fast. That’s the best time to put on the hood.

Trying to make better time than that, unfortunately. Also looks like some convective that way.

No reason to limit yourself to 9k...

How long are you allowing for the trip?

No reason to limit yourself to 9k...

How long are you allowing for the trip?

1) The plane has a new engine that just finished break in. Want to keep the power up on it to keep safe.

2) The Arrow non-turbo sweet spot is about 6000-9000

3) Not interested in O2

4) Not a lot of time on the way there, unfortunately.

Ah, ok, gotcha. Yeah. With a break in, probably don’t want to do that.

That looks like a great route to me, good places to eat on the actual airfield, a pretty direct flight,

Note: the Diversion to PNC only adds 18 minuets to this flight plan to a non towered airport, with a restaurant on the field and relatively cheap full-service fuel, you can eat while you fill up which would seem like a big time saver.

The same with Sedona, fuel/lunch on the field and
both stops being non towered, you should have less ground time taxing and low power settings on the ground for your engine

I like your choices

Mike

We ended up going to ABQ anyway, thanks to Tstorm that popped up on our route. The density altitude takeoff and climb was actually more hairy out of TUS than ABQ, cause we climbed with a headwind out of ABQ. Has definitely been an adventure so far.

Back