Going to be a long day tomorrow....

Craig

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Craig
Going to be a long one. The 17 year old is going under the knife tomorrow to have his right foot rebuilt. He messed it up last year in a fall and the walking boot and physical therapy haven't been able to make enough progress. Surgery was the last option, go invasive and fix it or live with it as it is for the rest of his life.
I don't know if he or the wife is the most agitated about it. Valarie has been down sick for the last 10 days or so and isn't doing well enough to go with us tomorrow. Mac is a bit freaked that they are going to open him up, but I told him the gas passer is going to drug him out of his mind and he won't remember anything.
Surgeon is going to do 1-3 different procedures, depending on what she finds after the 1st one. He will be on the table for up to 3 hours. Have to be there by 8 am and may not be out of there until late afternoon. I'm definitely going to be dragging, as I'm normally in bed by 2 pm.

He'll never have the flexibility or strength in the foot that an athlete would, I'd settle for near full range of motion and it not ever bother him again.

All the best to you & your son.

Friend just went through major foot surgery at 5x his age and it went well so 'he can do it'.
Good luck.

Was the issue caused by a Jones fracture?

Havin good thoughts for you and yours. My daughter has had her foot cut on a couple times and is doing well. She don't skydive no more though.

Good luck. 17 years old is still young enough that healing works quickly, and hopefully full range of motion and strength will be restored. Fingers crossed for a good outcome!

Thanks for the good words and thought all. Ended up going into surgery almost an hour early, as the Dr. didn't have to do as much work on the prior patient as though. They had a little bit of a tough time getting both nerve blocks done. The Dr. ended up doing 4 procedures instead of the 3 she planned for. Lengthened one side of the Achilles tendon, two bone grafts and a surprise ligament repair. The ligament damage is probably what set him in the direction of having a recovery problem.
Got him home about 2 pm, he's doped up pretty good and asleep right now. Definitely going to have a little bit of a mobility issue around the house for a day or two until he figures out getting up and down and moving around with no weight on the right foot and leg. The cast comes off next Tuesday for an evaluation of the incisions and then a new one for another week. Depends on what the Dr. sees then, as to whether he goes back into a third cast, or back to the boot for a few more weeks.

I'm tired, but have to stay up til he gets his 6 pm meds, then I can crash and mamma will be up and can take over for a few hours.

sounds like it went well.

he may be hungry though. might wanna swing by Subway and get him one of those subs. you know, the $5 ones...……………….

Make certain he stays off it for a good long time. Feet are the most difficult part of the body to heal. Not easy to keep a 17 year old off his feet, but you'll have to figure out a way if you want him to recover quickly.

Duct tape him to something until it's healed, so he can't do anything stupid.
Glad it's going well so far.

Yeah, steingar, he's no weight bearing on it for two weeks minimum. Just touching his toes or the area between the top of the cast and the knee brings out the big hissing...:eek:

Sorry he’s having to go through this. This too shall pass.

On the upside, it’s great we live in the times we do and these things are relatively routine. A year from now the whole ordeal will be just a distant memory.

Wow, hope he recovers quickly and the procedures fixed the problem.

Back