BAS Harnesses

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I'm going to be buying some BAS intertial reel harnesses for the 180. Anyone have a preference on Rotary vs Utility buckles? I'd be willing to spend the money to get rotary if it's that much better.

Pireps?

I installed the utility last summer before picking up my plane. Can’t comment on the rotary. Utility may be easier for unfamiliar passengers?

PIREP? I love em.

Save the $ and get the utility buckles, I have flown with both, it is like coke and pepsi

The BAS were the first thing I bought for my plane

I chose utility buckles on my BAS harnesses in my old 172. I can't imagine how the rotary buckles could be any better.

Our club skylane has the "airline" style buckles (lift the flap and the buckle unlatches). The only time I had to explain how to unlatch was for Young Eagle Flights when I wasn't sure if the kiddo had seen them before.

But the adults always knew how to operate the buckle.

I prefer the utility (seaplane) buckles. But I don't prefer inertia reels so my airplanes have Hooker harnesses.

When I put the BAS harnesses on the 310 I went with the utility buckles to save the money. That's what I'd recommend.

My 172 had manual (Johnson Bar) flaps, and the inertial reels allow me to reach the flap handle or feel for a dropped pen or pencil on the floor without having to loosen or unbuckle my harness. For me, that's a huge plus.

My 172 had manual (Johnson Bar) flaps, and the inertial reels allow me to reach the flap handle or feel for a dropped pen or pencil on the floor without having to loosen or unbuckle my harness. For me, that's a huge plus.

My Saratoga has manual shoulder belts and I hate having to loosen it to change fuel tanks or sometimes to put in flaps. I've toyed with the idea of getting inertia reals for the two front seats but haven't done it.

I agree with your assessment, but haven't spent the $ to make the change just yet.

The rotary may be easier for the occasional passenger to latch up. With utility you have to thread the shoulder and crotch harness endpoints in the correct order before pushing it into the buckle. It's not difficult, but you need to watch them the first few times.

I have 5-point Hookers in my RV and I went with utility.

I've recommended inertial real 4-point harnesses for the club. They'll go in someday, but other spending priorities have put it off.

I prefer the utility (seaplane) buckles. But I don't prefer inertia reels so my airplanes have Hooker harnesses.
Like Stan said...

I made the mistake of putting hookers in my '57 172 shortly after I bought it. I was new to the game, hadn't even taken my first lesson. And found out that I couldn't reach the flaps when I was cinched up, freakin' hated them.

Then when I bought the 182, I immediately put in BAS harnesses with the standard buckle. Love them.

Back