Landing fees

My Daughter will be attending NCSU. It would be nice if there was someplace that I could just pick her up with out paying $20 for a 5 min pickup/dropoff.

What’s your point? You think just because he owns a plane makes him more able or willing to burn a $20 bill?

You should see what he’s paying for college. :)

Ramp and landing fees are quite variable, and there is typically no official way of finding out short of calling ahead. In this day and age, there is no excuse for not publishing this info on your web site, but I have rarely if ever found it there.

Having said that, there are some nice FBOs, as I have done no cost dropoffs or flythroughs at BUF, GSO, BWI, and PNE. PWM is also superb. On the other hand ROC stiffed me a few years ago for $40 a few years ago for dropping off a research sample with a colleague who met me there. I was there for maybe 5 minutes. That surprised me. I always buy fuel when I can, but can't always tanker a bunch of fuel on a short flight.

I think that the next iteration of the Pilot's Bill of Rights should include a provision that landing fees may not be collected unless they are either published in the Airport/Facility Directory section of the Chart Supplement, or on a Web site whose URL is shown in that publication.

I think that the next iteration of the Pilot's Bill of Rights should include a provision that landing fees may not be collected unless they are either published in the Airport/Facility Directory section of the Chart Supplement, or on a Web site whose URL is shown in that publication.

I would support that. At least then I could choose...its only a few extra bits in the AFD.

Same with "security" and ramp fees!

what is a good resource for looking up landing fees for various places???
I was doing some flight planning down to Raleigh and was wondering if krdu had fees.
Hi.
Call your politicians critters and tell them you want your airport, that you / we paid for, back.

Currently there is no FBO information the Chart Supplement. That is a change that need to occur.

When I label people is when they drive up to the booth on the toll road, say they didn’t know the charges, ask for the toll to be waived and complain online about it when they refused. Cheap isn’t the word I use for that.

What I hate is when you drive down a road for a few hundred miles and pull over to get gas, only to find out that you were on an UNMARKED toll road the whole time! Surprise! Oh, wait- only airport FBOs do that. Never mind.

What I hate is when you drive down a road for a few hundred miles and pull over to get gas, only to find out that you were on an UNMARKED toll road the whole time! Surprise! Oh, wait- only airport FBOs do that. Never mind.

AOPA just lost their Federal lawsuit against Signature over it, too.

Ramp and landing fees are similar to toll roads. Some of us try to avoid them both. It doesn't mean we cannot afford them. Name calling such as labeling us as cheap is verbally abusive and all too common these days. It seems most outgrew name calling after childhood but lately it may be observed everywhere.

I support the notion of a service user funding the service being used, but it seems we always hear a small additional fee type language where funding for governmental services are concerned.

I think he would have had to actually call you a name, like Cheapie Cheaperson, or Tightwad McTightpants, or Bobby Dontspendalot, for you to get offended for name calling. Just sayin. ;)

Wow, must be tough to be a newbie who is totally uninformed about ramp fees.

I've noticed that they don't have a column for landing fees, just ramp fees and handling fees. I see that some people are reporting landing fees in the ramp-fee column, but I don't know how consistent that is.

Do you keep your plane at Oakland? If so, does the $50 landing fee apply to GA planes that are based there?

I think OAK has an exemption for based aircraft. There is still at least one flight school there even.

So a number of people have said parking at an airport is expensive, so why shouldn't landing there be? Says me, if I just drop someone off at the airport or pick them up, I don't pay a thing. so if I just drop someone off a the airport or pick them up in my airplane, why should I have to pay if I'm not using any of their services?

The FBOs are using public land to charge fees. Transient parking should be free.

My Daughter will be attending NCSU. It would be nice if there was someplace that I could just pick her up with out paying $20 for a 5 min pickup/dropoff.

Local knowledge - there's an unlabeled GA ramp at F2 off B and 23R. There's also a passenger gate there which is controlled by a pass card. You might be able to call the RDU security office and arrange for them to open the gate for your daughter. Or ask them what it takes to get a SIDA badge. Did you say you had just the one daughter or is there an older first born male you could sacrifice to them?

“The FAA Southern Region Airports Division wrote in a June 7 letter to AOPA general counsel Kenneth Mead that an investigation conducted over several months agreed with the Asheville Airport Authority’s assertion that the fees charged by the airport’s sole FBO are “necessary and reasonable.” The agency went on to say it determined that the allegations made by AOPA in its complaint “are not supported and no further review is warranted.”

I doubt Asheville will be putting in a free aviation ramp anytime soon.

Local knowledge - there's an unlabeled GA ramp at F2 off B and 23R. There's also a passenger gate there which is controlled by a pass card. You might be able to call the RDU security office and arrange for them to open the gate for your daughter. Or ask them what it takes to get a SIDA badge. Did you say you had just the one daughter or is there an older first born male you could sacrifice to them?

You are awesome. Lunch at BQ1 is on me. That is just the information that I was looking for. I will pursue that avenue. Google maps does show a small parking lot. I will check it out the next time that I am up that way. Thanks again.

Nope. No older male child. Just the one and She is my everything.

Last edited:
You are awesome. Lunch at BQ1 is on me. That is just the information that I was looking for. I will pursue that avenue. Is parking available there?

There is a parking lot there but I don't know anything about it. On Google Maps I don't see a gate, which leads me to believe that parking is by permit only. Otherwise, the GA parking lots are $3/day and outside of TAC or Signature. It's a short walk.

Verbally you can describe the area as being the "general aviation ramp between the fire station and the DOT hangar". I believe ATC knows it as the north GA ramp.

BTW, I offer this as an option, but I have no idea if it is possible. RDU Security is sometimes nice and accommodating and sometimes they treat the airport like it's the most important security installation in the US - even when it is legitimate, they might not allow you access.

You are awesome. Lunch at BQ1 is on me. That is just the information that I was looking for. I will pursue that avenue. Google maps does show a small parking lot. I will check it out the next time that I am up that way. Thanks again.

If you are referring to the West Ramp, which is whats its called from your reference, they have shut that down to GA planes. From what I was told the Airlines and private jets will be taking that spot over. You also need a security badge to get through the gate once you exit. I also believe TACAir owned the pad.. Might want to confirm before using it.

West ramp? I thought it was north ramp.

Maybe on the other side of the DOT hangar? I see the current airport diagram describes that as the General Aviation Ramp.

Certainly you need a badge to access it without help, but if security opens the gate for you and then watches you walk to an airplane and get in, that seems reasonable to me. Which probably means it is completely out of bounds for the security office.

Jets taking over that area?

rdu.jpg

Yeah, thats called "West Ramp" The North Ramp is where FedEx, UPS, etc is a little further down to the right of the DOT facility. West Ramp use to house tie down spaces for owners and club planes. recently as of 2/3 weeks they have all been moved. Some to tie downs on the other side TACAir/Signature ramp space. TACAir had owned that space, and you had to call them up to be let through the space, unless you already possessed a badge.

“The FAA Southern Region Airports Division wrote in a June 7 letter to AOPA general counsel Kenneth Mead that an investigation conducted over several months agreed with the Asheville Airport Authority’s assertion that the fees charged by the airport’s sole FBO are “necessary and reasonable.” The agency went on to say it determined that the allegations made by AOPA in its complaint “are not supported and no further review is warranted.”

I doubt Asheville will be putting in a free aviation ramp anytime soon.
I live in tn just north of asheville. being familiar with the fees there I try to avoid the field. supply and demand I guess keeps the place pretty full though.

I live in tn just north of asheville. being familiar with the fees there I try to avoid the field. supply and demand I guess keeps the place pretty full though.
I'd like to stop in once a play some golf in the mountains... but those fees are a little steep... Do you know of some alternatives to that airport with regards to golfing in the mountains?

I'd like to stop in once a play some golf in the mountains... but those fees are a little steep... Do you know of some alternatives to that airport with regards to golfing in the mountains?
If you can get into Hendersonville it is just south of Kavl right on i26. there's a flight instructor there who offers tail wheel and biplane time.

Yeah, thats called "West Ramp" The North Ramp is where FedEx, UPS, etc is a little further down to the right of the DOT facility. West Ramp use to house tie down spaces for owners and club planes. recently as of 2/3 weeks they have all been moved. Some to tie downs on the other side TACAir/Signature ramp space. TACAir had owned that space, and you had to call them up to be let through the space, unless you already possessed a badge.

Well so much for that idea.. I might call administration and see if there are other options.
So, given that RDU is the only game in town, where does the regular GA pilot that lives in Raleigh keep his plane?

Well so much for that idea.. I might call administration and see if there are other options.
So, given that RDU is the only game in town, where does the regular GA pilot that lives in Raleigh keep his plane?
I would still cal Morgan and get the information first hand. I know what I have been told and what I have seen. I am not an owner so there that...

So there are three airports within the RDU area where you can consider housing your aircraft..
upload_2018-6-25_13-23-38.png
I think the Chapel Hill airport is closing so no longer an option... Depending where you live in the area, one may be a better option than the others.

That's a public tax. No difference from paying an airport authority $8 to Park overnight at transient .

Yes, and sometimes the airport leases those parking lots to private companies who make a profit for operating them. Which is no different in what the airport is doing with the FBO. Instead of renting the parking lot, they are renting the ramp.

The Port of Oakland is trying to decide if flight schools are commercial ops... they think yes. They’re also considering scouring tower logs to bill transients for T&Gs.

Paul
I wonder if they think that driving flight schools and transient light aircraft away from the field is really going to improve their revenue situation.

If it weren't for the landing fee, it would be worth my while to fly to OAK for the day in preference to dealing with rush hour traffic, and since at least one of the FBOs waives a significant portion of its fees if I buy fuel, I would definitely buy fuel, which I presume means that the Port of Oakland would at least get a flowage fee. As it is, they will be getting nothing from me, and I suspect I am not alone in that. The landing fee increases the cost from "worth it occasionally" to "not worth it."

Yes, and sometimes the airport leases those parking lots to private companies who make a profit for operating them. Which is no different in what the airport is doing with the FBO. Instead of renting the parking lot, they are renting the ramp.
Parking lots don't expect people to call ahead if they want to find out the cost before they commit to it.

Parking lots don't expect people to call ahead if they want to find out the cost before they commit to it.

Public parking lots. Private, the price can change hourly if they like.

Although I’m surprised with all the automation in the world the public lots don’t have central and automatic price changes by traffic and giving all the profit to some private company, like many places are doing with toll roads on Interstates.

Public parking lots. Private, the price can change hourly if they like.
They can, but typically they have the price posted at the entrance, so that you can still go elsewhere if you don't like what you see. I don't think I've ever seen a lot, public or private, where the only way to find out the price before you commit to it is to call them on the phone.

Back