Bike in a Plane?

Banjo33

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Banjo33
So I’m in search of a reason to fly. My wife, son, and I take a few flights a year to different areas (generally <400 miles), but it’s not near enough to justify what we have and also not enough to keep the plane healthy or myself proficient. Therefore, I fly a lot more (usually once every two weeks to offset that lack of use), but only for 1.5-2 hrs and rarely outside of the local area.

One thing that I recently thought of was taking my bike to different areas (east Tn mountains/foothills in the summer and along the gulf coast in the winter to avoid the more extreme seasonal temps). Reading through a bunch of threads, seems most recommend a folding bike, which I really can’t justify nor would be capable of any decent rides.

So, I got to looking at my bike and began to wonder, why I can’t take it? The biggest limitations/concerns are:
1. Fitting it into the plane, and
2. Scratching the plane’s paint/tearing the upholstery.

I bought a Giant Iguana mountain bike (front RoxShox and stiff tail) about 16 years ago that rarely gets ridden.

The plane’s (PA-30) dimensions:
1. Baggage door. 20x20”
2. Cabin door. 32”h x 34”w
3. Cabin width. Approx 45”
4. Cabin height. Approx 47”

The bike with wheels on is a no go from the start. Weight (28 lbs) and length makes it too unwieldy to fit through the cabin door without risk to the plane. The baggage door is a no go period. However, I found that if I pull the wheels and seat off (52 seconds with the quick release levers), it now only weighs 17 lbs and is 44” long and 29” tall (at the bars...tallest area) and much easier to handle. This would allow me to move it around easier and avoid scratching the plane’s paint, but still need to protect the interior. For that, I could either throw a blanket over the middle seats or build a small cardboard box to pack the bike in before loading. Or, I could wrap the bike in the blanket and tape it closed. I think this could work and might provide me with more excuse to get out, fly, and explore some new areas!

Anyone have recommendations or other ideas how they’ve done it or seen others do it? Pictures and stories would be great too!

Next step is to determine how to protect the interior and then actually try to load it in the plane.

Not to be a downer on the idea, but wrangling a bike into a plane is going to be a once, maybe twice activity a year at tops. If you're really intent to put a bike into a plane, I’d suggest getting one that can fold and make the logistics easier, this minimizing the damage to the interior/exterior of the plane and increasing the likelihood of you repeating the exercise. Maybe check out the scooter thread as I think that might provide some ideas.

I fit my full size bike into the back of my Archer by simply removing the front wheel. I wrapped it in a blanket to protect the interior. Had to fold the back seats down and very carefully maneuver it through the main cabin door but it worked. It only barely fit but it did fit. I don't think it's something I'd want to do often, eventually something would get scratched/ripped/scuffed with how tight it is back there but it can be done.

Feel free to come get me if you need a reason to fly :D I'll never turn down a flight in a twin. Same with @simtech, I'm sure.

Yep, remove the front wheel and it is pretty easy to fit a bike into some, perhaps many planes. I've never flown in a Comanche (PA-30 is the twin model, right?) so I don't have a feel for the interior dimensions, but the dimensions you give certainly make it sound doable. And if it is doable, you should be able to work out a way to do it that won't be a major project. I've done it many times, though to make it easier (and to facilitate PnP missions) I've had the rear seat removed from my Cardinal.

I fit my full size bike into the back of my Archer by simply removing the front wheel. I wrapped it in a blanket to protect the interior. Had to fold the back seats down and very carefully maneuver it through the main cabin door but it worked. It only barely fit but it did fit. I don't think it's something I'd want to do often, eventually something would get scratched/ripped/scuffed with how tight it is back there but it can be done.

That would work. I've put my full size road bike in the back seat by taking both wheels off.

I have a 26" mountain bike that folds and stores in a canvas case that I take in my plane on a routine basis. Taking your bike with the wheels and seat removed sounds very doable. They make cases for your wheels that I would highly recommend to both protect your wheels and airplane interior. They make various soft travel cases that you should be able find for your bike size. As a minimum they also make chain covers you can use to protect your interior from the chain oil if you don't use a full canvas case. On my road bike I have clip in pedals but my folding bike has pedals that fold flat against the bike. You might want to consider removing the pedals for transport then reinstall when you reassemble the bike.

Go for it!!!!

B36CCA57-1A8C-4093-B1AE-71EF0281E847.jpeg
Just use biking/flying as an excuse to get new bikes. My girlfriend and I easily fit two fold-up bikes (mine a full sized mountain bike) in my PA28. We take them all the time.

Last edited:
PA24 and with the back seat out the full size mtn bike slides right in through the cabin door. Caveat: I leave the door stop off so the cabin door swings completely open.

B1B038A9-BB66-407F-8831-B5BFEA3F7AA2.jpeg 3CD49282-A0AF-446E-A912-5A1585BDF6EB.jpeg CCCD9B1B-A7B9-4258-965E-32A71CBF8CF1.jpeg 82CACB3C-A137-4EBF-9377-341EA5275529.jpeg
You can get a full size folding bike that is not bad to ride. I know it is not for serious rides - but I take mine on the bike trail regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_2808.JPG
    IMG_2808.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 15
External load permit.

I know it isn’t an answer to your question, by I can put 2 bmx bikes in the back of a 182, I think I had to take the front wheels off.

To put one bmx bike in the back of the 400, I had to take both wheels off and it barely fit without removing the handlebars.

Most likely will try out the 310 in the next few months and will see how they fit in there.

I loaded up a short-wheelbase recumbent bike in the 182A I used to own and flew to Wichita Falls for the Hotter N' Hell Hundred in 2007. I took the wheels off, then wrapped the frame in an old bedsheet and managed to get it in. In addition, I loaded up a tent and assorted camping gear for the night before the ride.

The bike was very much like this one, except it had a 20" front wheel:

carbent.jpg

Wheels off. You can get a geartrain cover. I used an old cheap sleeping bag to cover the frame and you can get wheel cases.

There’s not much left to a modern mountain bike once the wheels are off.

They make bags to carry disassembled bicycles.

Also, there is a company that makes couplings for bike frames. They are popular with the tandem crowd but you could have someone cut a frame and make a bike more portable.

Back