How long did it take to get your PPL?

easik

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
easik
Hey guys, working on a video release to discuss more on cost and time it takes to get a private pilot license. So I wanted to know how long it takes the average student pilot to earn their PPL. Please share:

1. How many total Hours it took
2. How much Time (in months or years)
3. What year did you acquire your license

Thanks!

116 hours (could have done it in less but I soloed a lot)
1 year (Again, I dragged it out. Ask how long I have been working on IR)

You're welcome!

52 hours
a little over 30 years (started in 1985, soloed at 8.7 came back to the states and life happened. Started back up again three years ago)

I trained every Friday and Saturday that weather would permit. It took me 58 hours over a course of 5 months. I completed it 6 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This era, not 1970's, 80's, 90's, It will take 2x as long. Some parts of the country are better than others. California is horrible, the FSDO's out here have strictly guided the DPE's to perform 3-4 hour orals for example.

Expect 75-100 hours. Talking with 2 prominent flight schools out here, that's about the average. Part time students are longer. Most of the CFI's are just kids with 200-300 hours and no clue how to train someone. That adds time too.

Last edited:
~60 hours over ~8 months. Medical was held up due to a deference so I wasn't able to solo till ~40hrs.
Passed check ride in Jan 2012.

As best I can recall, about 52 hours and six months.
This was in 1985.

55 hours—a total of 13 months. 2015

Last edited:
58.5 including flying to the test over one year, 1990, had all the requirements done right around 40, I felt ready around 50 and then flew another 8.5 keeping sharp waiting for the DPE.

This era, not 1970's, 80's, 90's, It will take 2x as long. Some parts of the country are better than others. California is horrible, the FSDO's out here have strictly guided the DPE's to perform 3-4 orals for example.

Expect 75-100 hours. Talking with 2 prominent flight schools out here, that's about the average. Part time students are longer. Most of the CFI's are just kids with 200-300 hours and no clue how to train someone. That adds time too.

Really? I did mine here in Southern California in 2016. Started May 28th, solo flight at 14.3 hours, check ride on October 15th (4 1/2 months) at 46.7 hours on the first try.

http://intothesky.us/2016/10/15/check-ride/

Started when I was 17. finished when I was 34.... total of 50 hours with a 17 year gap between flights in there somewhere.

Hey guys, working on a video release to discuss more on cost and time it takes to get a private pilot license. So I wanted to know how long it takes the average student pilot to earn their PPL. Please share:

1. How many total Hours it took
2. How much Time (in months or years)
3. What year did you acquire your license

Thanks!

65 hours
9 months

47 hours
about 5 months

I was able to have lessons about twice a week pretty consistently throughout. If you have to spread them out more it will likely take more hours.

40 hours exactly at the end of my check ride.
Started in March, 1964, and got my private certificate on September 11, 1964. My training was interrupted for a couple of months by a PCS move from Vandenberg AFB to Hill AFB.

45 hours, 7 months, 2015

Last edited:
100 hours. Went through the hundredth hour on the check ride.
10 years. Soloed in 1968, then off and on 'til 1978.

35 Years. I had 42 hrs in 1979 when I was 17. Flash (ok, now quite flash...) forward to 2014. I had to redo most of my training and ended up at about 88 hrs ar checkride

1). 43 hours. I would have been very close to 40 hours but at 40 hours I realized I was .5 shy of necessary XC time.

2) 15 days.

3) 1992

Last edited:
About 70 hours over 6 months ending in 1985. I started in mid November--not a brilliant time to begin in CNY--so I wasted a lot of hours in the pattern waiting for good VFR XC weather to complete my requirements. I finally started cranking out XC time in March and April.

Ummm...42 years. Started when I was a senior in HS (1975), ground school, 4 hours.

Completed 2017 after 102 hrs. and 2 years. (Didn't get credit for the ground school or the 4 hours)

Intro flight: late july 02
Solo: august 02
Sign off for check ride end of october on the day I hit 40 hours
Check ride mid November 02. Oral only, weather prevented the flight portion.
Early Jan 03, check ride passed.

55 hrs (and just like hours to solo, comparing this number is meaningless)
6 months

60 hours in 10 days roughly without pulling logbooks not with me at present.
We did spins under the hood too.

40.1 hours when I met the DPE, maybe 41.3 or so at the end of the checkride
4 months

82 hours, 5 months, 2013. DPE had trouble with his medical otherwise it would have been about 72 hours.

Which time, first go around or second time?Maybe I got my PPC twice or more, you know.... :popcorn:

Never have held a Private certificate, but have Commercial Instrument. Military Comp in 1984 width about 100 hours - would have to look :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

46 hours
Three months in the summer of 1974

Back