Pedants please note...

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
...take your overly anal retentive aggressions out on the FAA and leave the rest of us the f*** alone!

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
You have asked us to notify you when a webinar is scheduled that meets your criteria. The following webinar may be of interest to you:

"Inside View to a Flight Review"
Topic: Biennial flight review requirements, what pilot can expect from his or her flight review, and how a pilot can prepare.
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 11:00 Mountain Daylight Time (10:00 PDT, 12:00 CDT, 13:00 EDT, 07:00 HST, 09:00 AKDT, 10:00 Arizona, 17:00 GMT)

Last edited:
...take you overly anal retentive aggressions out on the FAA and leave the rest of us the f*** alone!

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
You have asked us to notify you when a webinar is scheduled that meets your criteria. The following webinar may be of interest to you:

"Inside View to a Flight Review"
Topic: Biennial flight review requirements, what pilot can expect from his or her flight review, and how a pilot can prepare.
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 11:00 Mountain Daylight Time (10:00 PDT, 12:00 CDT, 13:00 EDT, 07:00 HST, 09:00 AKDT, 10:00 Arizona, 17:00 GMT)

....You have asked us to notify you....

Ask, and ye shall receive
Be careful what you ask for, you just may get it

you want pedantic? Biannual means twice a year, biennial means every two years.

Not to mention, we don't call it a biannual medical (for those of us of advanced age), right?

On the other hand, I call it a BFR and don't care about the above.

Not to mention, we don't call it a biannual medical (for those of us of advanced age), right?

Ah, I think you might be a little crusty there Salty, but I am right there with you, it will always be BFR to me.

...take you overly anal retentive aggressions out on the FAA and leave the rest of us the f*** alone!

I'm so happy to be the first to tell you.. you meant take YOUR overly.... blah blah... whatever the hell your point may have been.

Ah, yes, PoA... Where we can debate for multiple pages whether there is a hyphen between "anal" and "retentive". :)
And if that one eyed cat is coming in or going out.

I'm so happy to be the first to tell you.. you meant take YOUR overly.... blah blah... whatever the hell your point may have been.
Since we’re picking nits here, the use of less than or more than three dots in an ellipsis of a plural sense, is actually incorrect punctuation of the English language. You did get it correct on that last one so I’ll give that to ya.

:cool: :rofl:

Refer:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

So what’s the difference between biannual and semiannual?

I think it because of psychology or psychiatry (Freud) that it’s called anal rententive, but all the anal retentive types on POA don’t retain anything in their anus, they sh*t all over everything.:eek::D

My wife asked me what a pedant was. I kind of knew, but I looked it up. When I read the definition aloud, we both looked at each other. I said I guess that’s me, and both busted out laughing. I need to chill more...

Biannually doesn't have to be spaced evenly.
That’s basically my understanding. Biannual just means twice in any 12 month period. Semiannual means every six months. Could be wrong though and I’m too lazy to do research right now.

Yeah, me typing on an iPad is a recipe for disaster, grammatically speaking.

I can't believe you guys are arguing about this crap.

Not while the question of the Oxford comma remains unresolved and a danger to us all.

Not while the question of the Oxford comma remains unresolved and a danger to us all.
Or the real question: 1 or 2 spaces after a period.
Or the one that'll start WWIII...GIF...hard or soft 'G'?

It's simple, use the Oxford comma if your audience is English, because that's where Oxford is. (No, the one in Mississippi didn't start this appalling mis-punctuation, although it does have a college.)

Or the real question: 1 or 2 spaces after a period.
Or the one that'll start WWIII...GIF...hard or soft 'G'?

Two spaces on a typewriter, only one space on a computer, because they are so stupid that if a period is at the end of a line, it will put one space after the period and the second space will be moved to the beginning of the next line.

And everyone I've ever heard discussing files has pronounced "GIF" with a "g" sound, not a "j" sound. Save "Jif" for peanut butter, although I prefer Kroger Super Crunchy myself (but no longer buy it in 5 lb. buckets like I did in college).

Ah, yes, PoA... Where we can debate for multiple pages whether there is a hyphen between "anal" and "retentive". :)

I remember someone getting “offended” by that phrase here once. It was good for a laugh. :)

And everyone I've ever heard discussing files has pronounced "GIF" with a "g" sound, not a "j" sound.

And everyone you've heard is WRONG...TOTALLY, UNCATEGORICALLY, MORALLY, SPIRITUALLY, FACTUALLY WRONG I SAY. <pant, pant, wipes spittle from his lips, mops brow>
The guy who invented the format says Jif. I go with the creator on this one.

In all seriousness/silliness, at the end of the day, as long as the sender and receiver understand the message, who gives a <bleep>?

I read a really long article on this topic a while back that got into statistical analysis of word sound frequencies, history, and convention and presented arguments for both versions of the word. After an exhaustive analysis, the conclusion was 'say what you want'. I cant' find the article, but I did find this most amazing site.

I wonder if there's a reason humans seemed programmed to argue, discuss, analyze, perseverate over stuff that just doesn't matter? What possible evolutionary advantage could there be to two guys trying to decide if the thing rushing at them full speed with mouth open was a male or female lion? 'Boy', 'Girl'. 'Boy'. 'Gir<chomp> ahhhhhhhhh' 'OK, you win. It's a girl'.

...The guy who invented the format says Jif. I go with the creator on this one...
...which only goes to show that inventing a graphics format does not make someone an expert on the logic of English pronunciation. ;)

Now the REALLY important issue is what kind of jifts to buy family members for Christmas!

Last edited:
Intuitively I'd say that GIF should be pronounced with a G sound for two reasons. One, it is a g. Two, the g is the first letter in graphics which has a g sound.

If the g was from gymnasium or a similar g word, then maybe pronounce it like a j.

But it’s just another tomato.

How "G" is pronounced in an English word.

1. When "G" is followed by "E," "I," or "Y," it is pronounced as [ʤ]
gem giant gym george

2. When "G" is followed by "U," or "A," it is pronounced as [Ʌ], or [ӕ].
gum gun gap gas garden

Now go out there and win one for the Jipper.

:p

gem giant gym george

gum gun gap gas garden

And just what do the gnus think of that rule?

gem giant gym george

gum gun gap gas garden

I just looked through the first page of words beginning with "gi" in a dictionary, and it looks like they're about evenly divided between the hard 'g' and the 'j' sounds. :dunno:

Back