Electric Scooter for Plane

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
OK...looking to see if anyone has any first hand recommendations...need a folding electric scooter that will fit in the back of my 182. Need to be able to get from airfield to company's new warehouse on the backside of airport on a regular basis. Too long to walk, to short to Uber, to lazy to break down a bike each time and never could ride a skateboard...so figured decent electric scooter would be the way to go. had one in the past and loved it, but it was a cheap one that apparently did not like to be ridden off road...who knew.

Been looking at reviews but hard to sift through what is crap and what is good. Need something with decent tires, strong battery, folds down, and can move a grown arse adult like a 10 year old chasing an ice cream truck...with sprinkles...cuz sprinkles are for winners.

Do not need the cheapest, but do not need to spend a fortune on some overpriced hipster thing...any suggestions?

51Qtg4L%2BJmL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Company provided airport beater car.

Should have built the warehouse closer to the ramp where the airplane parks. :)

Should have built the warehouse closer to the ramp where the airplane parks. :)

Hey, I was just stoked that the complex was across the street from an airport. Not a daily commute thing, but convince for when I do need to go there once in a while and weather cooperates to fly otherwise I would park a car there. 2.5 hour drive vs 45 min flight from home.

Hey, I was just stoked that the complex was across the street from an airport. Not a daily commute thing, but convince for when I do need to go there once in a while and weather cooperates to fly otherwise I would park a car there. 2.5 hour drive vs 45 min flight from home.
Ahh that's different than what I thought it was. I thought you were talking about a flight company that put their airplane too far from their new building. LOL.

I don’t have first hand knowledge, but I’ve had the Luna site bookmarked for a while. I never pulled the trigger. They have a lightweight model that looks good for flying and an insane model that’s greatly overpowered. The latter looks like a fun ride, but expensive. From what I can tell he imports Chinese scooters via alibaba, manufactures his own battery packs, then rebrands and sells domestically.
https://lunacycle.com/carbon-fiber-luna-scooter/
https://lunacycle.com/luna-apocalypse-e-scooter-v2/

A few years ago I got two off-brand Chinese folding bikes. I fit both in an Archer and easily fit one in a Cardinal (haven’t tried both yet). It appears that they have new models now. Not Brampton or Bike Friday quality, but my wife and I are happy with them for short rides. Takes a few seconds to unfold.
http://www.origamibicycles.com/Bikes/bikes/

I saw a guy on the beach boardwalk with an electric skateboard. He had a remote control in his hand to adjust speed. It was long and the bottom was all batteries. It seems it would be easy to keep in a 182.

I wonder what kind of batteries they use. If it’s lithium ion that might be a problem.

I purchased a Jupiter Bike that works pretty well. Have been mostly pleased with it except 1) the standard seat isn’t so comfortable, so I purchased the optional seat, 2) small wheels and large cobblestone paths don’t work so well, and 3) my son loves it so I rarely get to use it.

38E01261-326D-4DA1-9FC2-C32F02EF8689.jpeg

I wonder what kind of batteries they use. If it’s lithium ion that might be a problem.

Yeah, because the ones in our phones (and the tablets that so many seem to use for primary navjgation over installed, certified GPS units) have been causing so many problems . . . .

Have someone from warehouse drive to pick you up?

If you're not charging or draining them rapidly while in the plane, there's really no safety issue with li-ion

If you're not charging or draining them rapidly while in the plane, there's really no safety issue with li-ion
Well they don't like to get too hot either.

Swagtron scooter. Around $300-$400. It goes 5.5 miles as tested on a charge, but claims 18 mi.

Needs decent pavement though, no off-roading.

I always thought one of these would be the perfect ground transport ride for airplanes.
https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-xr

The down side is when the battery dies it's useless where as a true skateboard/scooter could still be ridden at least.
I have one and have had it in the plane before. Bad thing is I don't ride enough. Though it's super easy and fun to do and it's off road. It goes about 6ish miles on pavement and ive had it up to 19mph.20180520_161030.jpg

I have one and have had it in the plane before. Bad thing is I don't ride enough. Though it's super easy and fun to do and it's off road. It goes about 6ish miles on pavement and ive had it up to 19mph.View attachment 64224
That’s a bummer that it doesn’t live up to its range claim. I like that there is no remote to keep up with and is short compared to the other powered boards.

That’s a bummer that it doesn’t live up to its range claim. I like that there is no remote to keep up with and is short compared to the other powered boards.

This is the plus (version2) not the new XR(V3). On concrete it does do what they claim but once you get offroad it will not last 6 miles. The good thing is it charges up in about 40 minutes which is stupid fast fo stuff like this.

Yep no remote just lean, it is a blast to ride no doubt! I took it to a camping fly in event and man it grabbed the attention of everyone. The funny thing was there was another pilot with one. You dont see these around much, guess with the price tag its not going to be main stream but getting around the airport is fun with it.

I always let people try it and most catch on pretty quick as long as you trust it. Its kind of heavy at 25lbs and in a cherokee takes up the back seat.

Swagtron scooter. Around $300-$400. It goes 5.5 miles as tested on a charge, but claims 18 mi.

Needs decent pavement though, no off-roading.

That is kinda what I was looking for.

Have you actually ridden one?...how was the power and speed? Even at only 5 miles that range is fine for my use.

Yes, I have one. Brought it to OSH.

It’s advertised as “18 mile range”, but one night I decided to test it on flat ground. I rode it flat out all over the airport and it lasted 5.5 miles.

How fast is it? At the top end, maybe 12-15mph. At that speed, you really don’t want to go any faster.

How fast is it? At the top end, maybe 12-15mph. At that speed, you really don’t want to go any faster.

That's like my onewheel. It can go 19mph or faster if you push through the push back faster but trust me 15 feels like you are flying on that thing. And if it takes a nose dive it ain't going to feel good....aak me how I know.

Yes, I have one. Brought it to OSH.

It’s advertised as “18 mile range”, but one night I decided to test it on flat ground. I rode it flat out all over the airport and it lasted 5.5 miles.

Hello Dans2992. I saw a post where you did your own interior for a twin commanche. I was hoping to pick your brain. Could we correspond?

I saw a guy on the beach boardwalk with an electric skateboard. He had a remote control in his hand to adjust speed. It was long and the bottom was all batteries. It seems it would be easy to keep in a 182.
That'd be a Boosted Board. They're expensive, but they're awesome.

OK...looking to see if anyone has any first hand recommendations...need a folding electric scooter that will fit in the back of my 182.

So the folding bike thread jogged my memory of this thread. Did you ever pull the trigger on a folding electric scooter? If so, which one? And how do you like it?

Buy a cheap car or motorcycle and keep it parked at the airport. Why pack it up in the plane????

I have cautious optimism about Bird/Lime. https://www.bird.co/ https://www.limebike.com/electric-scooter They just introduced themselves in our city about a month or so ago. They are in the blackout period here now (the inevitable period when all the scooters are removed from the streets while the city decides how they are going to regulate the crap out of something that probably doesn't really need it in order to "protect the public", (i.e. generate tax revenue).) But, hopefully, they will be back on the streets in a few weeks. A handful of those parked at each GA airport would be awesome.

Get a Boosted Board.

I have cautious optimism about Bird/Lime. https://www.bird.co/ https://www.limebike.com/electric-scooter They just introduced themselves in our city about a month or so ago. They are in the blackout period here now (the inevitable period when all the scooters are removed from the streets while the city decides how they are going to regulate the crap out of something that probably doesn't really need it in order to "protect the public", (i.e. generate tax revenue).) But, hopefully, they will be back on the streets in a few weeks. A handful of those parked at each GA airport would be awesome.

From my experience, anytime you see one available, it’s either broken or battery exhausted.

How do they plan to charge these anyhow?

I like the Sondors Fold X as I think it’s a usable size, but still large to fit in a LSA.

I bought a Jupiter Bike that folds compctly and works pretty well, but it is weight and speed sensitive. It’ll do 15 mph, but don’t expect to go more than 5 miles out of its claimed 10 mile range at that speed. (On those little wheels, that’s as fast as I’d want to go). But overall a decent “get around the airport or nearby eatery” bike.

503EC14A-B2F1-49C7-BF18-9DC6A67EAF11.jpeg

20A50659-EE6F-4A5C-A577-5B90039083AA.png

From my experience, anytime you see one available, it’s either broken or battery exhausted.

How do they plan to charge these anyhow?

They pay people to pick them up, take them home, and then put them back out on the streets. The amount they pay per scooter varies.

Looks like they might not be coming back, though. Our city council passed an ordinance imposing massive charges on each company to operate. $15,000 for the permit, plus $1.00 per scooter on the street, per day. Thanks for saving us from our selves, dumb asses.

Looks like they might not be coming back, though. Our city council passed an ordinance imposing massive charges on each company to operate. $15,000 for the permit, plus $1.00 per scooter on the street, per day. Thanks for saving us from our selves, dumb asses.

Politician’s brother wants to start a scooter company with a small business grant from the city, eh? LOL.

Back