Apple Watch 3 - First Impressions

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
As background, I've been an Apple user since 1985 and my first Mac. Along the way bought and used iPods, iPhones, iPads and AppleTV. Overall a happy user.

When Apple first announced the Apple Watch, I thought it was pretty cool - and something I had absolutely NO use for. I had not worn a watch at all for at least a decade, and as long as I have my iPhone with me - which I virtually always do - I can always check that for the time.

But 4 or 5 months ago Karen got a hankering for an Apple Watch, and I got her a 38mm Series 3 with cellular. She's less a gadget nerd than I am, but immediately started telling me how cool it was and showing me all the things it could do. And Leo Laporte on the TWIT shows I watch was saying how with the Series 3 the Apple Watch had finally become a useful device.

You may remember I switched credit cards a while back and started accruing Capital One Rewards points. Best Buy has the aluminum 42mm Apple Watch with GPS (no cellular) for $309, and I had just in excess of that in points. Long story short, I cashed them in for Best Buy gift cards and last Friday picked up the above described watch in silver:

29037002948_7a662e5044.jpg

I passed on cellular since as I said above I virtually always have my phone with me. I especially like having the phone's camera available at all times, and I didn't really need yet another monthly cellular subscription.

So far, I'm quite impressed. As a watch, its OK. Not exactly a fashion statement. But it shines as a handy extension to my iPhone. If my phone is elsewhere in the house and I get a call, I can answer from the watch. I can also set and stop alarms, control podcast playback, read messages and emails, that sort of thing. It can also control my GoPro or serve as a remote for the iPhone camera. I have yet to try out ApplePay on it, which is showing up at more and more retailers. Out and about the ability to do such things right from my wrist without having to dig out my phone is quite handy, more so than I would have thought.

It even has a flashlight function. Since we were camping out over the weekend, it came in handy a handful of times when I needed to insert a key in a lock after dark, that sort of thing.

I have yet to dig into the fitness tracking and goals, but I suspect when I get back into cycling it will be useful. I like the real-time continuous heart rate monitoring. And I went ahead and signed up for Apple's Heart Study, which will provide lots of data for them to study and has proven to be an early warning system for cardiac irregularities.

The battery lasts far longer than I imagined. Using it all day, it still shows about 80% at the end of the day. At that rate in a pinch it could easily go 3 or 4 days between charges. As it is, I charge it at night and stick it on the charger when I jump in the shower or take a nap and it jumps back to 100% very quickly. Of course, one could expect the cellular model to discharge more rapidly if cellular is used with any regularity.

Anyway, only about 5 days in, but so far I'm quite pleased with my purchase. And Watch OS5 is promising a handful of useful new features. I think I'm hooked.

Last edited:
I have the 2 version. It has it's pluses but for the most part I am not a fan. I wish it didn't mute my phone when ever I am wearing it. It aggravates me when I just want to glance at the time when my hands are full and it will not wake up without tapping it. I was surprised at the battery life considering what they publish. I will keep it for now as it's useless on the used market but will go back to a regular watch when it comes time to replace it.

I've had one for about 2 months now. It's a great add-on to the iPhone. It's probably the most useful thing that nobody ever needed that has ever been invented.

I haven't worn a watch in probably 15 to 20 years, and have no use for an iWatch.

I do like nice high-end "real" watches, though. But I've never had the disposable income to buy what I'd want. If I did have extra $$$ lying around, I'd love to have an IWC Portuguese, or a Vacheron Constantin.

Sometimes I pick up those high-end watch magazines at the bookstore and just drool. So many nice watches! If I ever won the lottery, I'd probably have a drawer full of watches, LOL.

Of course, no one needs an Apple Watch, nor a Fitbit nor Android Wear or whatever. I sure didn’t.

Now, keep in mind I’m a full-grown man, and don’t need any gold stars or equivalent to reward me for good behavior.

But Heisenberg told us its impossible to observe something without affecting that thing you’re observing.

Today I took a car in for an oil change and tire rotation. I always do my own oil changes and tire rotations, but you may recall I’m still a bit limited from my arm surgery a few weeks ago.

Karen is still at our TN property, so I made an appointment at our local garage to do it while I waited. Normally I might have taken my iPad to surf the web or something to kill an hour. But today I set a fitness goal of 2 miles walking on my Apple Watch and achieved my goal while they worked on the car. It “closes a ring” in Apple Watch parlance. It also gives me my time, total distance, pace, calories, average heart rate and elevation gain.

It’s a stupid little thing, granted. But even that tiny little bit of prodding and feedback from the watch made a difference.

I was really hoping to get something out of ForeFlight on the watch, but they hadn't really done much with the watch app since it came out, and removed it a few releases ago rather than update it for the latest watch OS.

I still don't know what I wanted it to do, though!

I do like mine a lot, but it's certainly not something I felt like I needed. It was a gift, and it's really grown on me. I wear it all the time, and 20 minutes on the charger when I'm showering each morning keeps it going indefinitely. I had no idea how much I used to dig my phone out just to look at the time until I got the watch.

It aggravates me when I just want to glance at the time when my hands are full and it will not wake up without tapping it.

This does happen more than I wish it did, but if my hands are full I can't always give my wrist enough of a flick to wake it up.

My solution? Touch it with my nose. LOL

Very subjective observation, but that is a butt ugly device.

Very subjective observation, but that is a butt ugly device.

Yeah, I kinda meant to go there with my “Not exactly a fashion statement”.

I did replace the grey plastic band with an olive drab nylon one. I think that lends it more of a utilitarian look.

item_XL_32462147_118946348.jpg

But, again, I didn’t buy it to make any sort of “statement”. Just curious as to whether it would be useful, and so far it has been.

It looks better than the 1970's throwback LED digital watch look of the FitBit I replaced with mine. (My wife bought it for me as a present. I liked the fitness tracker but wanted something that looks like a watch.)

There is a level of motivation for closing the rings on the tracker (which ever tracker it is).

I’m still on Version 1, but I use the heck out of it with my work iPhone. It’s a lifesaver for me with multiple messaging apps.

It’s also been a pretty handy fitness tool. Lost 42 pounds last summer using it to track exercise and activity (in addition to a change in diet, obviously).

I was really hoping to get something out of ForeFlight on the watch, but they hadn't really done much with the watch app since it came out, and removed it a few releases ago rather than update it for the latest watch OS.

Automatic approach timing. That was the "killer app" for Foreflight with the iWatch-thingy and they missed it. Cross FAF, watch starts showing time since crossing and distance to runway, ground speed, and MDA or DA, etc... four or five items depending on font size, would have been perfect.

Of course, now Garmin Pilot put timers right up top of the screen and always accessible dead center of the app in the title bar at the top... super easy to use if you want them, completely out of the way and unnoticable if you don't need them. But no watch thingy support, of course, even to their own watches... their watches are still utterly annoying for flying... they flip to "flight mode" when you lift off, and that means it takes a bunch of button pushing to get to what one NORMALLY wants a watch to do... SHOW TIME. LOL.

(Like yours, my Garmin flight watch was a gift, so I diddle with it, but it's no good for real flying. About the best thing it does have the iWatch thingy doesn't is an Emergency - Direct To Closest Airport function. That works. And MIGHT be useful someday... but unlikely. Technically you could also stick any Direct To airport in it and use it to navigate if you were bored and felt like it... might be nice for a little Cub or something with no panel and no desire to drag a tablet along... just confirmation that the airport is "over there", which you already knew...) :)

ForeFlight still doesn't have a timer build in, does it?

I have a fairly inexpensive self winding automatic that I bought kind of on a whim, and 8.5 years of abuse later the thing still looks great and runs fine.

I have a fairly inexpensive self winding automatic that I bought kind of on a whim, and 8.5 years of abuse later the thing still looks great and runs fine.

That’s great if what you want or need is a watch. These gadgets are more fitness/health trackers, iPhone wrist extensions, music and podcast player, and a lot more depending on the apps chosen. None of which are necessary - just seductively handy.

Automatic countdown timer from the FAF on the loaded approach with haptic alarm. (Just pre-load your aircraft category into your flight profile)

That’s great if what you want or need is a watch. These gadgets are more fitness/health trackers, iPhone wrist extensions, music and podcast player, and a lot more depending on the apps chosen. None of which are necessary - just seductively handy.

No, I get it, but just haven't gotten it for that particular gadget ;-) We all have our toys...

BTW, stopped in at the Drug and Gun for a T-shirt last Saturday, then on to TWO for lunch.

I, too, had a hankering for one when they first came out, but held off getting one until version 3 with cellular came out. I decided it would be my reward for completing my upgrade to Captain. But even with that, I knew my wife might push back on spending that much on a gift for myself. Solution: Buy TWO, wrap them up as his & her Christmas gifts. Spent a thousand bucks and she never batted an eye!

It has proved to be far more useful than I originally imagined. I use the analog face with UTC time down in the lower left corner which is incredibly useful since much of my 121 stuff is all UTC. One of the best features, is that it automatically switches to the local time zone as I hop around the country.

I use and enjoy the fitness tracking. I like have timers quickly at my disposal, voice activated via Siri, while grilling or flying. I use the Apple Pay feature as often as I can and love it....happy to see more and more retailers accepting wireless. I can start my car on taxi-in from my watch. I can unlock the doors of my wife's car from my watch while in another state when she accidentally locks her keys in the car! (I need to get the car remote app on her phone and watch so she doesn't have to call me!) I can open and close my garage door from my watch when going out for some exercise. I can even turn lights on and off at my house from anywhere.

With the cellular, on the rare occasion that I walk out of the house and forget my phone, I no longer have to turn around and go back to get it since I have all the communication capability I need on my wrist. Doesn't happen often, but it happens.

One of the best features is an iPhone app a fellow Captain at my airline wrote that integrates with our dispatch system. The app can automatically download my schedule onto my iPhone, after which I have easy access to all flight releases (flight plans) and a bunch more information about our operations. It integrates with my watch so at a glance toward my wrist I can see our planned departure and arrival times, the fuel load for that flight and the names of all my crew members, which is handy when I'm about to make an announcement and like to call the flight attendants by name.

I'm discovering new uses for it all the time. I really like it.

Apple Watch 4 replaced my original first generation Apple Watch about a week ago. Faster is definitely true. Lots faster. I wanted the EKG app but that isn’t out yet. The GPS is more accurate, for sure, so outdoor workouts and walks are reported better. My fav feature is having my home airport’s Aeroweather METAR shown on the lower face of the watch. At least an abbreviated part of it showing wind and temp. Tap it and the complete METAR pops right up or I can choose METARs from an airports list of my making. Battery life is crazy good. I don’t need cell service on my wrist so I got the GPS only version. I’m impressed. And I’m really looking forward to that heart monitor app!

I have yet to dig into the fitness tracking and goals, but I suspect when I get back into cycling it will be useful. I like the real-time continuous heart rate monitoring.
I too was a Apple Watch hold out until two weeks ago when the new series 4 hit the streets. It had the feature set that finally pushed me over the edge to buy one. I love it so far, but I will add this caution that I learned the hard way. I enjoy cycling and loaded Strava on my iWatch. Very neat to be able to record my rides from my watch and I especially loved the real time heart rate function it provided in Strava. It is great for monitoring how hard I am riding. I bought my watch on Tuesday Sept 25th. On Thursday the 27th I was on my morning ride and was on a street I've ridden at least 20 times. This particular street never has any traffic on it and I was looking down at my heart rate on the phone and hit a bad spot in the road. My front wheel jackknifed to the left and I kept going straight. I've ridden about 2000 miles this year and had gotten a little too complacent and got too absorbed in my watch instead of the road. I always wear a helmet when I ride. Fortunately I had no broken bones but my sunglasses got jammed into my cheek and I had to get 4 stitches inside and 10 on the outside. I had some road rash on my right knee and left elbow but not too bad. I have been pretty sore in my rib cage but all-in-all I'm counting my blessings. I'm 64 and I crashed at 18 mph on asphalt with no broken bones. The stitches in my cheek were a mere inconvenience relatively speaking. The stitches are out now and my butterfly tape has come off too. Fortunately the scar is not bad at all. In the crash the face of my new watch was chipped and severely scratched, but the watch still worked fine otherwise. I went by the Apple Store in Augusta the following Monday and they said they didn't repair watches and I would need to call Apple Support. I called and got setup for a screen replacement. When the e-mail came from Apple with the link for paying the charges and getting a return shipping box, the charge showed the original price of the watch which is double what the screen replacement should have been. I called Apple Support back. The rep on the phone could not get their system to put the correct charge for the screen replacement in my service request. I was passed to the reps supervisor. Again, the supervisor could not get their system to put the correct charge in for my repair so the supervisor just waived the charges for parts and labor. I received the return box on Tuesday from FedEx. FedEx picked the box back up an hour later. On Thursday I received a new replacement watch from Apple! Amazing turn around speed!!! It blows my mind that a computer giant like Apple and their repair system software had a glitch in it like that....but I'm not complaining. Thumbs up to Apple on the awesome support!

SSSsssooooooo, when you do start cycling with your new watch, don't make the same mistake I did getting too focused on all of the neat information it can provide. I also ordered some screen protector covers for my watch from Amazon that is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. ;)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HC2PNLB

Attachments

• 358381FB-F3AA-42B1-A04E-AF50F6C61BDC.jpeg
    358381FB-F3AA-42B1-A04E-AF50F6C61BDC.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
No, I get it, but just haven't gotten it for that particular gadget ;-) We all have our toys...

BTW, stopped in at the Drug and Gun for a T-shirt last Saturday, then on to TWO for lunch.

Well, now it seems that I've found a reason to look at the apple watch. I have a little 21' bow rider, and love floating off the stern, consuming BEvERages, and listening to tunes. I iphone is connected to the boat stereo via a stereo mini-cable into the AUX port. To skip songs, etc., I have to get out of the water, go forward, dry my hands, unlock the phone, and skip song. With the watch I can control skips and volume while floating out back, and that just may push me over the edge to buy one.

I too was a Apple Watch hold out until two weeks ago when the new series 4 hit the streets. It had the feature set that finally pushed me over the edge to buy one. I love it so far, but I will add this caution that I learned the hard way. I enjoy cycling and loaded Strava on my iWatch. Very neat to be able to record my rides from my watch and I especially loved the real time heart rate function it provided in Strava. It is great for monitoring how hard I am riding. I bought my watch on Tuesday Sept 25th. On Thursday the 27th I was on my morning ride and was on a street I've ridden at least 20 times. This particular street never has any traffic on it and I was looking down at my heart rate on the phone and hit a bad spot in the road. My front wheel jackknifed to the left and I kept going straight. I've ridden about 2000 miles this year and had gotten a little too complacent and got too absorbed in my watch instead of the road. I always wear a helmet when I ride. Fortunately I had no broken bones but my sunglasses got jammed into my cheek and I had to get 4 stitches inside and 10 on the outside. I had some road rash on my right knee and left elbow but not too bad. I have been pretty sore in my rib cage but all-in-all I'm counting my blessings. I'm 64 and I crashed at 18 mph on asphalt with no broken bones. The stitches in my cheek were a mere inconvenience relatively speaking. The stitches are out now and my butterfly tape has come off too. Fortunately the scar is not bad at all. In the crash the face of my new watch was chipped and severely scratched, but the watch still worked fine otherwise. I went by the Apple Store in Augusta the following Monday and they said they didn't repair watches and I would need to call Apple Support. I called and got setup for a screen replacement. When the e-mail came from Apple with the link for paying the charges and getting a return shipping box, the charge showed the original price of the watch which is double what the screen replacement should have been. I called Apple Support back. The rep on the phone could not get their system to put the correct charge for the screen replacement in my service request. I was passed to the reps supervisor. Again, the supervisor could not get their system to put the correct charge in for my repair so the supervisor just waived the charges for parts and labor. I received the return box on Tuesday from FedEx. FedEx picked the box back up an hour later. On Thursday I received a new replacement watch from Apple! Amazing turn around speed!!! It blows my mind that a computer giant like Apple and their repair system software had a glitch in it like that....but I'm not complaining. Thumbs up to Apple on the awesome support!

SSSsssooooooo, when you do start cycling with your new watch, don't make the same mistake I did getting too focused on all of the neat information it can provide. I also ordered some screen protector covers for my watch from Amazon that is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. ;)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HC2PNLB
My father was killed on his bicycle at 56. Be careful out there... it’s easy to get complacent but riding is not without risks and our bodies are soft.

Well, now it seems that I've found a reason to look at the apple watch. I have a little 21' bow rider, and love floating off the stern, consuming BEvERages, and listening to tunes. I iphone is connected to the boat stereo via a stereo mini-cable into the AUX port. To skip songs, etc., I have to get out of the water, go forward, dry my hands, unlock the phone, and skip song. With the watch I can control skips and volume while floating out back, and that just may push me over the edge to buy one.
You know they make wireless remotes and transom-mounted remotes, right? :) Much cheaper than an i-toy.

I got the second generation watch because it has the applet that allows me to tweak the settings on my hearing aids. It's kind of lame as it's almost always easier to just open the phone and use the full sized app.

What I wish is the thing would boogie property with the MFI hearing aids. It should work that you could leave your phone in your pocket, answer the call with the watch and speak into your wrist while listening on the hearing aids. It doesn't work that way alas.

My father was killed on his bicycle at 56. Be careful out there... it’s easy to get complacent but riding is not without risks and our bodies are soft.
I hear you. Typically I’m very safety conscious. I just let my new toy distract me too much. I was on a good road with no traffic not anticipating a bad place in the road. It was a good wake up call for me to keep my primary focus on the road and not my GPS. I do realize there is risk in everything we do, including flying our planes, but I can’t stay in the bedroom afraid of life. I want to get out and live life to the fullest and try to mitigate the risk as much as possible.

I hear you. Typically I’m very safety conscious. I just let my new toy distract me too much. I was on a good road with no traffic not anticipating a bad place in the road. It was a good wake up call for me to keep my primary focus on the road and not my GPS. I do realize there is risk in everything we do, including flying our planes, but I can’t stay in the bedroom afraid of life. I want to get out and live life to the fullest and try to mitigate the risk as much as possible.
I don’t want you to hide in your closet. Just a friendly reminder to pay attention.

I don’t want you to hide in your closet. Just a friendly reminder to pay attention.
I do appreciate it. I’m also very sorry to hear about your dad. If you are okay with sharing what happened with him, maybe it could be a learning opportunity for those of us that cycle to hopefully not experience the same situation.

I do appreciate it. I’m also very sorry to hear about your dad. If you are okay with sharing what happened with him, maybe it could be a learning opportunity for those of us that cycle to hopefully not experience the same situation.
He was pushing hard on a downhill sweeping turn and a vehicle pulled out in front of him. Couldn’t avoid the collision. Had on all the protective gear but it wasn’t enough to mitigate the impact.

Back