Lunch - What'd You Have?

I

13bdM7R.png

Commendable Brian, losing that weight. :thumbsup:

I originally lost 130 lbs on keto. All I do is track my carbs with the Lose It! app. I've been putting my foods in that app with the macros for years so most of everything I eat now I don't have to create it in the app any more, it's already in there. I've put some back on so that's why I'm hitting it again. Right now I try to keep my carbs around 30 or so. I don't understand why you didn't lose any more weight being that strict on your carbs unless you're just eating too many calories. I do count calories too. I've limited myself to about 1500 a day more or less right now. Lost 15 lbs over the first 10 days this time due to a lot of water retention and lost that. The past week or two after that I've stabilized some and losing much slower.

13bdM7R.png
Wow! Props to you Brian!

I originally lost 130 lbs on keto. All I do is track my carbs with the Lose It! app. I've been putting my foods in that app with the macros for years so most of everything I eat now I don't have to create it in the app any more, it's already in there. I've put some back on so that's why I'm hitting it again. Right now I try to keep my carbs around 30 or so. I don't understand why you didn't lose any more weight being that strict on your carbs unless you're just eating too many calories. I do count calories too. I've limited myself to about 1500 a day more or less right now. Lost 15 lbs over the first 10 days this time due to a lot of water retention and lost that. The past week or two after that I've stabilized some and losing much slower.

13bdM7R.png
Third the props to you. You look like a new man. A happy one at that.

Looking good, there, Brian!
Correction yeah, Lose It app for me as well. I had Livestrong for a while, so misspoke. My calories were set to Lose It's default "lose 2lb a week" (1800 daily, iirc) and I stayed at or under. The only thing I can think of or try to blame so little weight loss was I had pretty severe flu in January and lost 20 lbs as a result. So, maybe my metabolism was way screwed up? I would think a month or two on keto would have adjusted? My first month I was targeting 20g net carbs daily - a friend said to lower that to 10g daily ... still nowhere near the scale results I keep hearing others have.

Yeah, don't understand that at all just on the surface and not following you around. :D

Looking good, there, Brian!
Commendable Brian, losing that weight. :thumbsup:
Wow! Props to you Brian!
Third the props to you. You look like a new man. A happy one at that.
Way cool @BrianNC — and you’ll have to troll the back threads here to see all the @Sac Arrow lettuce-wrapped burger threads. And Burger Girl.

Thanks guys. It wasn't easy. And I'm not one of those that starts and sticks with it until the end. I eat right awhile, then get off of it, but normally didn't gain back as much as I lost, start again, same thing over and over. It took me about 5 years to get all that off due to the yo-yoing. I just had an up yo-yo from the holidays last year to when I got back from vacation a few weeks ago, as you can tell from the pics I was posting prior to a couple of weeks ago. lol.

But, back on track again for awhile.

No lunch, but I had steak and eggs for breakfast after I worked out. Then for supper I had a pizza made on a low carb tortilla. Mozzarella, pepperoni, salami, mushrooms, green olives.

PRZm7Zc.jpg

ZHssloD.jpg

Burger, with avocado and jalapenos.
View attachment 64198
I don’t know a lot about your fitness routines other than the fact that you’re on the Keto diet, correct? Curious if you’ve ever tried intermittent fasting for fat loss as an alternative to a low carb diet. Sure makes dieting a lot easier, imo...and you can still gain sufficient amounts of muscle. It’s the best of both worlds.

I don’t know a lot about your fitness routines other than the fact that you’re on the Keto diet, correct? Curious if you’ve ever tried intermittent fasting for fat loss as an alternative to a low carb diet. Sure makes dieting a lot easier, imo...and you can still gain sufficient amounts of muscle. It’s the best of both worlds.

Sure. It simply does not work for me. Carbs work for me if eaten prior to a marathon workout/ride, otherwise, no. Different things work for different people. The rest of the family carbs out and remains rail thin.

Sure. It simply does not work for me. Carbs work for me if eaten prior to a marathon workout/ride, otherwise, no. Different things work for different people. The rest of the family carbs out and remains rail thin.
Roger, I was just curious if you had ever tried it. Me personally, have had great results with it.

I actually combine them. I do both at the same time. Do lots of OMAD, which is basically a 23/1, but most of the time an 18/6.

I actually combine them. I do both at the same time. Do lots of OMAD, which is basically a 23/1, but most of the time an 18/6.
That’s a great way to do it, if your body allows you. Very good. I recently got onto a new training regimen and I’m needing to cut some body fat and I’ve found that Intermittent Fasting is the fastest and most effective way for me to do so, especially with my body type. So far, I’m really enjoying it.

Before, I used to eat multiple meals throughout the day to achieve a lean bulk, but I came to the realization that I just cannot keep that up long term. Intermittent Fasting on the other hand is something that I can.

I suppose my eating pattern amounts to intermittent fasting, in a way. I only eat two meals a day - lunch and dinner. The only exception is that if I'm planning on riding more than 50 miles, I might scarf down a couple of egg and sausage McMuffs for breakfast first.

Still going strong on the keto. Lost 25 lbs the first 31 days. This was dinner. 8.2 oz filet. :D

c6qoP1a.jpg

Wow. I'm going to have to look into that diet. I'm not sure if I'd lose weight or have a stroke.

--

I chatted with a tri-athlete buddy of mine yesterday during our swim sessions. No way can I keep up with a) his caloric intake, or 2) his exercise regimen. He does iron man distances. But we did get to talking nutrition. Eating, exercising, balancing fuel intake and fuel burn, all of it is important. But the particular blend of what goes in and when, is where I really need to pay more attention. I don't eat much during the day, then eat too much at dinner.

Wow. I'm going to have to look into that diet. I'm not sure if I'd lose weight or have a stroke.

--

I chatted with a tri-athlete buddy of mine yesterday during our swim sessions. No way can I keep up with a) his caloric intake, or 2) his exercise regimen. He does iron man distances. But we did get to talking nutrition. Eating, exercising, balancing fuel intake and fuel burn, all of it is important. But the particular blend of what goes in and when, is where I really need to pay more attention. I don't eat much during the day, then eat too much at dinner.
Here’s a tip. Take your body weight in lbs and multiply it by 15. That will give you a rough estimate of the calorie intake each day needed to maintain your weight. If you want to drop some lbs, multiply it by 12 and eat those calories.

I do intermittent fasting to try and shed some belly fat and stay lean, so far I’m enjoying it.

That meal I posted above, 1057 calories. You'd think it would be more but it isn't. 8.2 oz filet, 2 eggs, 4 strips Wright thick cut bacon (Kroger), about a tablespoon and a half of butter (1TB I put on top of steak after I sear it on both sides and put it in the oven), 1/4 to half TB I put in the pan for the eggs. You can be even more liberal with the butter since fat doesn't matter on keto. 72 grams of fat, 100 grams of protein, and zero carbs. Just Googel low carb/keto/HFLC (high fat low carb) and intermittent fasting.

Now my meal above was a little more because I did eat a piece of toast with it which had about 9 net carbs. Still way below the 30 carbs I try not to eat over. And all that fat is really satisfying. I originally went from 370 down to 245 eating like that. Picked up some weight here recently just eating like a horse, and went back on it. Last time I had bloodworm done while eating like this, cholesterol 162, blood pressure normal. All the reading and studying I've done over the years got me over 'fat fear'. Of course others vehemently oppose this kind of eating. Just gotta decide for yourself. But I have proven over many years in my own life that weight loss is 100% nutrition. Working out is just to stay in cardiovascular shape and maintain or build muscle mass. You can't out exercise a bad diet. I think my before and after is in this thread back somewhere.

Here’s a tip. Take your body weight in lbs and multiply it by 15. That will give you a rough estimate of the calorie intake each day needed to maintain your weight. If you want to drop some lbs, multiply it by 12 and eat those calories.

I do intermittent fasting to try and shed some belly fat and stay lean, so far I’m enjoying it.
When I ran 40-45 miles a week, it didn't matter what I ate. I lost weight, there was no way not to.

Now that my knees and hips are worn out, and I've added about 25 years and 40 pounds, I swim 3 miles a week. I like to think that equates to 9 miles of jogging. It is a long way from where I used to be, but it's what I can do without injuring anything. So I can't burn calories like I used to, or eat the way I used to. My tri buddy has his whole nutritional profile worked out. Every calorie, carb, gram of protein, electrolyte, whatever, is on his chart. He knows what to eat, when, and how much. But I don't and can't live that way.

When I ran 40-45 miles a week, it didn't matter what I ate. I lost weight, there was no way not to.

Now that my knees and hips are worn out, and I've added about 25 years and 40 pounds, I swim 3 miles a week. I like to think that equates to 9 miles of jogging. It is a long way from where I used to be, but it's what I can do without injuring anything. So I can't burn calories like I used to, or eat the way I used to. My tri buddy has his whole nutritional profile worked out. Every calorie, carb, gram of protein, electrolyte, whatever, is on his chart. He knows what to eat, when, and how much. But I don't and can't live that way.
Yeah I can’t live like that either. I use MyFitnessPal a little to track my macros but I can’t follow it so strictly. I know some who faithfully track everything they eat by weighing it...can’t do that. Right now I’m trying to add mass while reducing my body fat percentage, so I try to keep somewhat of a regimented diet and the intermittent fasting helps with that.

I know some who faithfully track everything they eat by weighing it...can’t do that.

Yeah, I weigh my stuff and put it in an app. Count my macros and calories pretty close.

Unfortunately it's not all mine. But I think I could take it down. :D

I did eat one burger, 3 wieners and the partially hidden 8 oz ribeye. Also some slaw, hot dog chili, and sauerkraut.

tY14fWe.jpg

7d36a0358fe4bac8a81f440098561500.jpg

When in Idaho Springs, BeauJo’s Mountain Pie.

850f34839da43a077c4a771058482643.jpg

We used to have a local pizza joint that had that had a similar style. Their thing was to press tubs of butter in to crust so you could dip after you've eaten the inside. Talk about prepping for a cardiac event.

We used to have a local pizza joint that had that had a similar style. Their thing was to press tubs of butter in to crust so you could dip after you've eaten the inside. Talk about prepping for a cardiac event.

Yeah the tradition on these guy’s is they have honey on the table in a squeeze bottle and you put some honey on what’s left of the crust as dessert. :)

9.2 oz filet and a leftover patty and wiener from yesterday.

3SYw5XU.jpg

I ate at an airport restaurant at St. Louis Regional called the High Flyers Grille. Good food and it's right by the ramp so you have a good view of the runway.

Back