Mesocyclone

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
It’s rotating. Don’t fly into that.

ed0ef6e5f52f88b49f746bfafd2cb639.jpg

This June weather is giving me the blues as far as flying goes. Thunderstorms, thunderstorms everywhere.

Hypothetically speaking, if I decided to fly into that and see what’s going on in there, could I legally log it?

Asking for a buddy of mine.

Thanks

They popped a Tornado Warning on it as it went east of me downhill.

Done off of the radar indicated rotation, but it’s too high of a rain free base to have dropped anything yet.

It was rotating well enough that it could drop one, but not likely over the downhill terrain there. Another ten or twenty miles east it’ll probably tear up some **** though.

5e1de7bd76eff65cd1cae1e1c0b944da.png

Doppler is lying to them. A little. Still don’t want to be in front of it right now. Or under it.

One of the nice things about living in Vermont is that we almost never see weather like that. Tornadoes were a lot more common in Michigan and I saw a number of funnel clouds in my time, a waterspout once... but here, I understand they are a once in a decade event, if that.

One of the nice things about living in Vermont is that we almost never see weather like that. Tornadoes were a lot more common in Michigan and I saw a number of funnel clouds in my time, a waterspout once... but here, I understand they are a once in a decade event, if that.
That’s one of the perks of living in a slightly cooler and less humid part of the country. A few ingredients for these types of events are taken away....

LOL.

But father... I just want to .... sing!!

Stop that! Stop that! There’ll be none of that!!
Even more fun....

The dialog between the guards and the father sounds very similar to the rookie student working the radios for the first time.

Lincoln, NH had a tornado yesterday! i know its not your backyard, but thats pretty close!

That is some scary stuff.
We are suffering with a lot of unusually high winds for this time of year. sigh.........

That is some scary stuff.
We are suffering with a lot of unusually high winds for this time of year. sigh.........

For here, this is all pretty much normal.

We’ve been behind on precip so the rain fall out of these might save my prairie grass before it dries up and blows away. I’ve mowed once and was worried it would end up “scalped” because usually we get some precip right after that first spring mow that keeps it alive.

But that “almost killed the grass” thing is also pretty much an every summer kind of thing until we get a nice cow-peeing-on-a-flat-rock / frog-strangler storm in just the right spot. :)

The prairie flowers didn’t come out much this spring. Yellow stuff all over all the pastures and hills for a couple of weeks usually before they die off for the summer. Only saw blotchy patches of them this year. No orange or red Indian paintbrush mixed in at all yet.

In NEPA we get a lot of watches and warnings... nothing happens. Well last week watches, warnings and this time a tornado strikes in Wilkes barre and takes out our Barnes and Nobles, Panera pread, furniture store. Carried a u-haul truck 400 yards up the street and dumped it. Destruction was crazy.

https://goo.gl/images/P3XDtr

See @eman1200 ? Going to town didn’t help.

The next cell behind that one beat the hell out of my Yukon. Ha.

I work in the DTC on the 7th floor. When those things started coming down, some would hit a metal piece below the windows. Made a huge racket. My house is up in the foothills west of Denver, and it has a couple skylights. I'm just hoping it didn't hail bad up there. I've already been through maybe marble or walnut sized hail, but these looked larger, like golf ball sized. I don't want to have to replace a roof or skylights less than one year into owning the home.

Wiping out Barnes and Nobel, Panera, and U-Haul might be considered “a bonus” to many. LOL. :)
So if you park your car (that you were planning on selling anyway) downwind of a light pole or deep-pockets-owned tree during such an event, would their insurance cover it?

Asking for a friend.

I don't want to have to replace a roof or skylights less than one year into owning the home.

The rule about hail damage around here is like the old joke about gear up landings...

Those who have, and those who will...

You’re not getting out of fixing your house from it eventually around here. If not this year, next. :)

Lately insurance companies around here want to know if you have “hail resistant shingles” on the house if you’re getting quotes.

“Hell if I know, I didn’t put the roof on. Climb up there and look if you want.”

“Olay I’ll look up who we have that works out there. Wait, we don’t seem to have anyone who goes out that far east...” LOL.

“Let me know when you find someone and when they’ll be here. Probably you’ll want to give them my number and I can describe how to get here. Google Maps will only get them close.” :)

Lincoln, NH had a tornado yesterday! i know its not your backyard, but thats pretty close!
I had to look it up, but you're right... an EF0, fairly weak as tornadoes go, but definitely a tornado. Touched down twice, not far from the Flume Gorge area. Still surprising - that might as well be in my backyard, very similar terrain and climate. I'll bet they don't see many in that area either.

I had to look it up, but you're right... an EF0, fairly weak as tornadoes go, but definitely a tornado. Touched down twice, not far from the Flume Gorge area. Still surprising - that might as well be in my backyard, very similar terrain and climate. I'll bet they don't see many in that area either.

It’s always comforting to know Dr. Fujita (original creator of the F[ujita] scale) did all of his initial tornado studies sitting in the fields where KDEN now sits. :)

i find it pretty ironic that I moved to Oklahoma city for ATC training and have yet to have a tornado touch down here, but back home (where it never happens) they had one!

Been a very stormy Spring here as well. Walked through a downpour today and suspect I’ll be doing so most of the week. Welcome to the world of climate change.

Been a very stormy Spring here as well. Walked through a downpour today and suspect I’ll be doing so most of the week. Welcome to the world of climate change.

Or just the world of cyclical weather patterns. Is it a La Niña year or an El Niño one? Where are we in the well documented 11 year cycle?

Not a “climate change denier” here, but haven’t seen much solid evidence the climate change scientists have done much better than my grandfather’s joking favorite, The Farmers Almanac.

Pretty sure the tiny Hawaii volcano eruption wiped out any efforts to make cars cleaner and dump less CO2 into the terrarium, too. LOL.

Always a chuckle when the monkeys think we’re bothering the “big watery globe thingy” much. It bothers itself more on a regular basis and more acutely.

Everyone around here is whining they’ve never seen so many forest fires and insinuating its climate change causing those, too.

They conveniently forget that some enormous percentage of the areas that are burning were infested and killed by beetles and there’s literally thousands of tons of tinder mixed in with the healthy trees in the HEALTHY areas. Let alone the areas the beetles just completely wiped out and are deadfall and blowdown central.

Can’t blame them too much though. The majority of them are from such ecological wonderlands as “Irvine” and moved here, and now they’re all experts on forest life and forest fires after being here three years. LOL.

Back