Minimum Age to Log Time

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
I know you have to be 14 to get your student pilot certificate, but what is the minimum age to log time from a CFI. I took my 3 year old flying on Father’s Day and started thinking about this. I’ll get my commercial and CFI at some point and wondered if when she was 7 or 8 and capable of understanding some of the controls better if it would be acceptable to log instruction time in furtherance of a rating.

I know you can log anything, and I will probably get her a logbook to log her “passenger” flights with me.

Just curious. Thanks for the input.

My logbook goes back to when I was 12.

If the kid is capable of learning, why not? The only downside is she won't be able to brag about how few hours it took to solo or get her certificate. ;)

If you had your CFI now, your tax deduction could start logging dual received now. Of course, a good CFI would tailor the lesson to the students abilities, but in the end, when what really counts is the total hours in your logbook, you can't start logging time too soon.

My son has a few hours when he was around 5. Grandson too, around I think 4 I think. Got him a logbook. He actually flew the plane.

my 3 year old.

It’s not what you were asking about, but as soon as junior can read an eye chart, I would seek a Class 3 medical certificate. After that, Basic Med forever is no problem. An errant ADHD diagnosis for example would cause no problems that way.

Dang. Kid could have a few hundred hours before even getting his Student Certificate. They’d be a hoot in a ‘how many hours did it take you to solo’ thread

The kid needs to have a passport or government issued ID (along with birth certificate) to make sure he's not a pint sized terrorist. Don't forget to make the U.S. Citizen endorsement in his "my first logbook" coloring book.

The kid needs to have a passport or government issued ID (along with birth certificate) to make sure he's not a pint sized terrorist. Don't forget to make the U.S. Citizen endorsement in his "my first logbook" coloring book.

I love how you have to check your own kid for being a terrorist or being a US citizen when YOU are a US citizen. Really TSA? You have your head that far up your collective asses?

I love how you have to check your own kid for being a terrorist or being a US citizen when YOU are a US citizen. Really TSA? You have your head that far up your collective asses?
I don't think they spent too much time contemplating a parent instructing their own child. Honestly, the whole thing was knee jerk windowdressing, but we play along, because.

I don't think they spent too much time contemplating a parent instructing their own child. Honestly, the whole thing was knee jerk windowdressing, but we play along, because.

I don't play along. I haven't documented any of my students. Checked? Sure. Keep a written record? Nope. If the TSA want to come knock on my door, they can.

Back