Recommended instrument training

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Which video courses do you recommend for instrument rating?
I really liked fly8ma.com for private, is it any good for instrument?

I've got the Sporty's Academy...I think they're pretty good. I think there are 7 or 8 DVDs
in the set, and it has numerous short segments by Dick Collins...I always liked Collins.

For the instrument written test prep, take a look at GoldMethod.com. A lot of POAers have used it for their knowledge tests.

although it's not specifically a 'video program', the Gold Method software has videos incorporated into it. I just finished it and I'd recommend it to help pass the instrument written.

I polled this six months ago and the consensus then was King...even through they're campy, they still get it done.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/best-ifr-home-study-course.106880/

I can only speak about King as that is all that I used but despite benign campy. It is broken up into very bite size digestible portions. Short vids. Questions after each vid. Then their online testing platform lets you practice test questions from various categories, then you can have it give you questions you have previously gotten wrong. I was able to crush my written which I attribute in a large part to the amount of question repetition I was able to do. It really primed me for the test.

Never liked Sporty's because of the dry writing and monotone narrator. I echo the earlier comments about King...campy but get the job done.

Gad, I did King some years back, and it's well organized and logical - it'll get it done for you, though, I can't speak to the other courses. The Kings aren't perfect as presenters, but you'll learn what you need to know, and they are experts.

GoldMethod.com

It not only preps you for your written, it teaches you the information. In other words - you learn the material and not just memorize a bunch of information just to pass a test.

Worked for me and it will for you!

King worked for me for the PP and IR writtens. Keep in mind that those courses are designed to get you to pass the written, nothing more. And you have to be able to tolerate their humor. But, that said, they worked for me. YMMV.

Back