refresher on V speeds

Yeah. The 'rules of thumb" were great. I hadn't seen some of them before. I think I can now save a few minutes of preflight 'calculating.'

So we are now adopting V-speeds from Jets? Vr and Vref as example? What about a V1-cut?
How many GA planes really "rotate"? Is this a good habit to get into?
Same thing for Vref. How many pilots really calculate and change the approach speed based on current weight?

Tim

So we are now adopting V-speeds from Jets? Vr and Vref as example? What about a V1-cut?
Same thing for Vref. How many pilots really calculate and change the approach speed based on current weight?

Tim
In GA planes your change in ref speed is going to be pretty negligible with change of weight.

In GA planes your change in ref speed is going to be pretty negligible with change of weight.

Exactly, the point of Vref is to handle changing speeds because of weight changes.

Tim

Tim

This looks suspiciously like "rotation" to me . . . .

20180622_205904.jpg

And I calculate landing speed based on my actual weight estimate. It makes a difference in my plane. It's also pretty easy: 75 mph minus 5 mph for every 300 lb I am below Gross. This is my "over the numbers" target speed.

Per a former Mooney test pilot who was later VP of Engineering (and other upper management positions), every 1 mph of excess speed in the flare will result in 100 extra feet of float. So simply using 75 mph every time, if I'm solo with 10 gallons, that puts me almost 700 lb. under gross or 10 mph fast, and that 1000' float wouldn't be good at my current 3150' home field nor my previous 3000' home.

Oh, and V1 cut--if I'm not at flying speed by the middle of the runway, I'm pulling throttle and braking while I can. Not really V1, but . . .

@Hank S
There is no Vr there. There is a range of speed....
And same for Vref.

There are many admirable things to take from the Part 121 world. Vr and Vref really are not on the list.

Tim

@Hank S
There is no Vr there. There is a range of speed....
And same for Vref.

There are many admirable things to take from the Part 121 world. Vr and Vref really are not on the list.

Tim

Yes, it's a range of speeds. Your question was "how many GA planes really rotate?", and I put in a page from my Owners Manual showing what looks like rotation to me. The speed range takes into account weight and temperature variation.

Tim

Well, if you don't "rotate" an AA-5 it will never leave the ground. The POH specifies the application of back pressure at 55 mph to lift off, and cautions against applying back-pressure too soon lest you significantly increase ground roll. It's not like a Cessna, where it flies itself off the ground even if you do nothing.

Back