[NA]Observations from the Costco gas line[NR]

No reason not to, but when you are typically dealing with the lowest common denominator, don’t complain. Water is wet. Get gas at Costco, might be less than Mensa folks buying gas.

Ever been to Sams and Costco on the same day? The Costco crowd is a step up, maybe two steps. Buyer beware . . .

I have few reasons to defend Oregon, despite temporarily living here.

The full-serve fuel is a make-work program, not a nanny state apparatus. Nobody cares if you blow yourself up while fuelling your subaru.

If you saw how thickly and deeply piled our homeless population was, you'd wonder why we aren't installing more gas stations. Then you'd smell how skunky our homeless are and you'd understand that "make work" is not an appealing concept to them.

Sadly all of the original non-rant rant behaviours observed at the costco exist here also.

Fun fact: I was required to take health insurance in the USA while travelling abroad on pain of obamacare penalties. The free oregon healthcare I applied for and received (as a temporary non-wage earner) is superior to anything I've been able to purchase for myself, at any price. I renewed my 2nd class AND went through an ugly SI process with zero out of pocket. It will be a mini-California here in 5-10 years. Maybe less. You roughnecks will need to flee to Idaho as your last libertarian paradise. :)

In my experience, it doesn't matter who owns the fuel pump. People are stupid and have no situational awareness.

"Oblivious" is the word.

Lack of situational awareness or not paying freakin attention to what is going on around you or the effect of your actions on others is what I seem to ***** about the most these days. Oblivious is the word I use all the time to describe these morons.

I also think some people know what they are doing but do it anyway. They just enjoy making others suffer a bit.

If I even think I may be slowing up others, I expedite what I’m doing. I think it’s just common decency and respect for your fellow man.

I believe that rule has been loosened up somewhat. Some rural counties now allow self-serve.
The new law is counties with less than
40,000 people and only east of I-5 can pump their own gas 24 hours. Same population west of I-5 can only do it 6PM to 6AM. The actual impacted population is very low.(By area it's a bit over half the state.) It's an extension of the law for the last 3 years which allowed all those counties to allow it 6PM to 6AM so people wouldn't run out of gas in the middle of nowhere due to poor planning.

I am surprised nobody mentioned any AvGas pumps. I see similar "not-so-smart" (aka "pretty dumb") behavior when waiting to get fuel for my airplane. :)
But maybe we should have a separate thread on that? I bet I'm not the only one who notices these things in the AvGas lines.

I am surprised nobody mentioned any AvGas pumps. I see similar "not-so-smart" (aka "pretty dumb") behavior when waiting to get fuel for my airplane. :)
But maybe we should have a separate thread on that? I bet I'm not the only one who notices these things in the AvGas lines.

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHUUUNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHH!

The guy who did his entire pre-flight parked at the pump after fueling, while I and another airplane have clearly been parked behind him waiting in line fully shut down forever!!!!!!

I’m pretty sure I could get off on that one murder due to temporarily insanity... if he had taken another minute longer.

Ran his whole damned checklist before he started it and moved, too.

Start it, move it, and do all that stuff somewhere else on the ramp? Maybe? Please, jackwagon?

With my recently purchased Honda Fit, it doesn't matter whether the pump is on the driver or passenger side...the hose is long enough to reach across if need be, so I can pick either aisle.
Prepare to be amazed: at Costco, it does not matter how big the vehicle is. If it can fit into the lane, the hose will reach. There's a reel and a cord holding the topmost support of the hose. You only need to pull on the hose, the reel unspools, and voila. This sort of hose attachment is almost non-existent at other gas station, but it was employed at every Costco where I ever refueled - in California, New Mexico, and Texas.

Prepare to be amazed: at Costco, it does not matter how big the vehicle is. If it can fit into the lane, the hose will reach. There's a reel and a cord holding the topmost support of the hose. You only need to pull on the hose, the reel unspools, and voila. This sort of hose attachment is almost non-existent at other gas station, but it was employed at every Costco where I ever refueled - in California, New Mexico, and Texas.

Can confirm. When I was still a member they had some dude directing traffic to pumps on busy days, and he was hollering at people “It doesn’t matter which side your gas cap is on, the hose will reach!” as he waved the throng of suburbanites into each new open slot. LOL.

We gave up our membership a long time ago. No kids, two dogs, and in the boonies, Amazon Prime is better for us. Or as they joked on Family Guy... we didn’t find ourselves needing a deal on three-packs of Baby Grand Pianos for jus the two of us, very often. LOL. :)

For a number of years I just had their membership for the Amex card. It was 3% cash back and whether it was supposed to or not, it worked at the AvGas self-serve pumps in the area. Hahahahaha.

Sorry, I find it hard to sympathize, because I was dumbfounded by airport pumps many times. The last one was just 2 weeks ago at my home field of Lago. Pulled the hose gun from its hole, heard motor starting. Okay, I thought, maybe it's one of those automatic switches. Pumped 1/3 gallon, it cut off. Walked back, observed a large button labeled "PRESS HERE TO START THE PUMP". Pressed that, it switched the pump off. New transaction, press the button this time... Pumped a little more, it's stopped because of leak check. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Had to run the card for the 3rd time. This stuff always happens. I think the only pump that worked right away for me in years was the new super-duper pump at Lakeway.

The problem with COSTCO...there are never any hot women running around... Probably why the wife has delegated the chore to me.

Now Trader Joe's on a Sunday afternoon......

Problem is, that only works at a Costco. :)

That works for my Ford Ranger everywhere I've tried it (i.e., everywhere that's had a long line when I got there). The truck is narrow, the bed is shallow, it's not hard at all reaching across behind the cab.

Sorry, I find it hard to sympathize, because I was dumbfounded by airport pumps many times. The last one was just 2 weeks ago at my home field of Lago. Pulled the hose gun from its hole, heard motor starting. Okay, I thought, maybe it's one of those automatic switches. Pumped 1/3 gallon, it cut off. Walked back, observed a large button labeled "PRESS HERE TO START THE PUMP". Pressed that, it switched the pump off. New transaction, press the button this time... Pumped a little more, it's stopped because of leak check. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Had to run the card for the 3rd time. This stuff always happens. I think the only pump that worked right away for me in years was the new super-duper pump at Lakeway.
Ah yes, stuff happens. You're not the only one. Some pumps are infernal, I swear. :)
I was more referring to those clueless pilots who just don't care anybody else and for example try to start their heat-soaked engine at the pumps for 20 minutes until they drain the battery. Then they get out and stand around with a cellphone to their ear, talking to a buddy to figure it out. Eventually, the finally agree to the polite offer of us few buff guys to push their dead airplane into a parking spot so that the 6 other planes in the line can get fuel, in 100-degree TX heat. :)
I normally pull my airplane into and out-of the AvGas pump by hand (it's just a small 4-seater), unless I am the only one around. Especially after the fueling. I pull the plane away, into a tie-down spot, set the brake, go clean up, come back, then try to start the heat-soaked engine. Added benefit, I don't blast the other airplanes in line behind me with prop wash at hot start and I don't sit there programming my GPS until the tower guy actually has to shamefully call me on radio to ask if I'm ready to taxi. ;)

My two most memorable observations at the gas pumps over the years:

Many years ago, on old gas pumps you had remove the nozzle from the handle, then manually clear the numbers before using the pump by turning a small crank, then turn on the pump by moving the handle up to the 3 o'clock position. The hoses came out the side of the pump so it could reach either side of the pump. I was there filling up an old van I had. A girl pulled up on the other side to use the other pump. Usually there were only two pumps per island. I was standing next to my van cleaning the windows while the gas was going in my tank. She pulled the nozzle out of the handle of the other pump. Then turned the crank to clear the numbers, then grabbed the handle to turn on the pump. As she did that, she also had already pulled the trigger on the nozzle to get the gas flowing. So when the pump came on, the gas flowed, and she soaked me good before I could get away. All she said was, "OH, I'm so sorry". And then she put 2 dollars worth in her '64 Studebaker Lark.

30 years later, same station, now all paved and with new modern pay at the pump style pumps with diesel available. I am filling up my truck. I look up and see a pickup with a loaded trailer pulling in. They have been out cutting fire wood. I know it is fire wood because the wood is on fire. I step in the path of the truck to stop him before he gets to the gas pumps, but the driver knocks me over with the truck while yelling that he is on fire. I jump up and run over then grab the driver as he is exiting the truck, and I throw him down on the ground. My next move is me jumping in the truck and backing it rather quickly out in the street. The guy runs up to me and yells "What are you going....my trailer is on fire".!!! I yell back, while pointing, "That is a gas station. What happens when you mix gasoline and fire together.???" The look on his face was priceless as he realized what he was about to do. I unhook his trailer and drive his truck up onto the shoulder so his truck would not go up in flames as well. The girl at the cash register had already called the fire department. I finish filling up my truck, and by the time I pull out the fire department is arriving. I am sure they saved his trailer and most of his wood.

By the way, this station was located just a little north of main gate at Texas A&M....where I am sure both of these afore mentioned Mensa students were enrolled at the time.

Life is a gas, ain't it.??

The Costco gas lines always seem to be pretty busy. One thing I’ve noticed about getting older is that I’m less willing to waste my own time to save a few bucks.

Lots of guys think it's part of the fueling ritual to spit a big honker right as they step out of their vehicle. Every time I fill up, I watch where I step to ensure I'm not stepping in spit.

I buy my gas from a local guy. Has a small store and bait shop. I pay more for my gas, probably 20 cent or so per gallon. I will gladly keep paying a little more to support the local guy.

I buy my gas from a local guy. Has a small store and bait shop. I pay more for my gas, probably 20 cent or so per gallon. I will gladly keep paying a little more to support the local guy.

Because unlike Costco there’s some real winners at the local ‘bait and tackle and gasoline’ shop....

Actually, there are far less dumb asses there. There will be a few anywhere you go, but per capita, I’ll take the bait shop over Costco or sams everyday.

Actually, there are far less dumb asses there. There will be a few anywhere you go, but per capita, I’ll take the bait shop over Costco or sams everyday.

Yep. I left work today with my orange Low Gas light on (came on this morning), drove through town past a half dozen filling stations to the little store here by the house. Small gas station, lunches I'm rarely home to eat (but good when I am), craft beer and a liquor store. Shop Local doesn't just mean go 12 miles into our little town instead of 50 miles to Sams or Costco.

I feel the same way about the little airport restaurants I frequent. I'm a big tipper on my $9 bacon & eggs. :)

Lots of guys think it's part of the fueling ritual to spit a big honker right as they step out of their vehicle. Every time I fill up, I watch where I step to ensure I'm not stepping in spit.
You will need to be extra careful then if you go fill up at SprawlMart. ;)

You will need to be extra careful then if you go fill up at SprawlMart. ;)

I assume you mean Walmart. They’re operating their gas stations as a separate entity here, “Maverik”. The stations are always located close to a Wally World.

More importantly around here they’re the only stations to ever start offering non-ethanol MoGas at almost every location, so those of us with MoGas STCs can’t complain too much. We had three whole stations in the entire metro offering it prior to Wally World’s subsidiary or sister company or whatever they are, showing up.

Buy a Tesla!

And then you get to hear from all these guys who spend 45 minutes a week in line at the Costco gas station about how electric vehicles will never be viable cause you got to spend 30 minutes charging them 10 times per year.

A Tesla won't get me to where I want to go. They hate the northern Midwest.

And then you get to hear from all these guys who spend 45 minutes a week in line at the Costco gas station about how electric vehicles will never be viable cause you got to spend 30 minutes charging them 10 times per year.

It’s called “Go a block away and get gas” if you’re stupid enough to wait 45 minutes to fuel anything. Including waiting around on an electric car to charge.

If you’re waiting 45 minutes for $2 off on a fill up, you’re really bored or really stupid.

The only time I would wait that long for gas is if a vehicle was absolutely empty and I was home where the closest gas station is two miles down the dirt road.

Next closest is 12 miles from there (14 from the house) and I’ve never let a vehicle get empty enough not to make that if the neighborhood station is down for some reason.

Plus there’s usually two 5 gallon jugs at the house for the lawnmower and snowblower. One of those always has fuel in it.

So no. Not waiting around for 45 minutes to fuel anything, ever, here. The longest I’ve waited for fuel in decades was at the airport S/S pump. Even then, I could call the fuel truck and pay $1 more a gallon and GTFO of there if I needed to.

There is an intelligence bell curve... you found the people on the left side, looks like. LOL.
Speaking of the left side, looks like there's an open spot or two that isn't being taken because it's a front pump (i.e. people waiting for the back pump to clear so that they can drive through instead of around).

Must have been the day you got a free Churro with full up

Must have been the day you got a free Churro with full up

You know the reality probably was some special like $.50 off a gallon, and people did that to save less than ten bucks a full tank.

I’m always amazed when some gas station does a loss-leader promotion and the local news stations get wind of it, how many people are lined up, for blocks, usually idling with A/C on, waiting to save $10 or less. While burning fuel that would otherwise be taking them along their merry way.

It’s fine if you have the time to waste on it that day, but usually you see this during rush hour going in or out and wonder how early the person got up, or how late they’re going to be for dinner, just sitting there.

Gas is still cheaper than the bottled water everyone buys these days on a per gallon basis, by a number of dollars. It’s just a massively efficient and huge infrastructure.

I remember when I wanted to buy my first gas guzzler off of my stepdad. 1968 Chevy Van with a modified 350 and Holly 4-barrel carb on it. I told him I’d buy it but I was worried about feeding it. He joked, “You’ll either work to buy gas or you’ll walk. I bet you’ll work.” He was right.

Then he said, “It has modified tires on it. You might want to price those now and budget for replacing them in about two years. Less if you peel out a bunch on those rear racing tires.” Hahaha. He didn’t let mom hear that peeling out part. :)

Speaking of the left side, looks like there's an open spot or two that isn't being taken because it's a front pump (i.e. people waiting for the back pump to clear so that they can drive through instead of around).
I don't know why people don't just drive around, when it's possible to do that. Seems a lot of people just don't have the driving skill to do that.

One of my pet peeves, though, is people who park on the side, so as to block traffic from going around, and then the car ahead of me stops at the back pump, making it impossible to access the front pump except by going back out onto the street. Because my gas cap is on the right, what usually happens is that before I have a chance to do that, someone pulls up to the front pump from the other direction. Had that happen a couple of weeks ago. I just gave up, did some shopping at a nearby co-op, and came back 15 minutes later.

Back