Close call for me at 5500 ft near Albany

Leo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
Yesterday I was returning from Weschester KHPN to Montreal in flight following with Albany approach at level 5500 ft 45 nm south east off Albany international I met a drone at same level at 100 ft from me, I see him with is white light, thanks got he had a light. I reported to approach.Approach never see him,I’ll be a statistic now, I guess it’s impossible to found the drone operator.Be careful guys!

One day plane may collide with a drone that's being flown by someone who thinks
they're just having fun.
Leo

You doubt there will one day be a collision?

I doubt, flying even the smallest of bugsmashers, that anyone could see a drone with a white light on it with any clarity, especially to be able to identify it as a drone.

I flew alarmingly close to a bald eagle the other day. That's only a little bigger than some drones, and also has a white identifying feature that was easy for me to see in that fraction of a second before it went by.

I doubt, flying even the smallest of bugsmashers, that anyone could see a drone with a white light on it with any clarity, especially to be able to identify it as a drone.
You may want your eyes checked. I've had numerous close calls with birds and been able to identify which ones they were. They are about drone sized and aren't lit up.

There's this guy operating his drone above the cloud layer:

And this one, supposedly up to 11,000 feet, but neither in the US:
https://petapixel.com/2016/03/10/idiot-flew-dji-camera-drone-11000-feet-clouds/
Hello is this the number for ATC? Yes, I’ve got my drone stuck on top of a layer and I was wondering if you could give me a pop-up clearance so I can get back down. What’s that? You have a number for me to call? But I’m already on the phone with you. Huh? What’s Fisdo?

Me to I've had numerous close calls with birds and been able to identify which ones they were easy,I guess you don’t fly a lot.

I flew alarmingly close to a bald eagle the other day. That's only a little bigger than some drones, and also has a white identifying feature that was easy for me to see in that fraction of a second before it went by.

Have you noticed how eagles won't get out of the way? They expect you to see and avoid them. I fly 135 stuff in Juneau. Lots of eagles around the airport.

Have you noticed how eagles won't get out of the way? They expect you to see and avoid them. I fly 135 stuff in Juneau. Lots of eagles around the airport.

Buzzards have the same attitude, and they’re not nearly as cool.

Back