Flying a PA/32 on BasicMed

AOPA has been working on this for many months, at the request of AOPA members. The STC application was filed on Feb. 14 and the FAA issued it to AOPA on March 2, three months before the Aeronautix STC was issued. It is coincidental that both were announced this week.

Why did you sit on it for 3 months?

Why did you sit on it for 3 months?

Aeronautix was public about it and giving updates. AOPA was playing secret squirrel, perhaps for the wow factor once it dropped just like a lot of commercial industries do. Garmin does this well. They want the pop when it drops, but from a customer perspective, I want to know what is coming as is influences my spending.

I received the STC yesterday. Shop A&P says the charge will be for 30 minutes to do the 337 paperwork. So free is as usual not 100% free.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reference: faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med
When can I fly under BasicMed?
If you meet the BasicMed requirements, you can operate under BasicMed (without an FAA medical certificate) right now!

What do I need to do to fly under BasicMed?
  1. Comply with the general BasicMed requirements (possess a U.S. driver's license, have held a medical after July 14, 2006).
  2. Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist
  3. Complete a BasicMed medical education course;
  4. Go fly!
Aircraft Requirements
  • Any aircraft authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants
  • Has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds
Operating Requirements
  • Carries not more than five passengers
  • Operates under VFR or IFR, within the United States, at less than 18,000 feet MSL, not exceeding 250 knots.
  • Flight not operated for compensation or hire

Reference: faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med
When can I fly under BasicMed?
If you meet the BasicMed requirements, you can operate under BasicMed (without an FAA medical certificate) right now!

What do I need to do to fly under BasicMed?
  1. Comply with the general BasicMed requirements (possess a U.S. driver's license, have held a medical after July 14, 2006).
  2. Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist
  3. Complete a BasicMed medical education course;
  4. Go fly!
Aircraft Requirements
  • Any aircraft authorized under federal law to carry not more than 6 occupants
  • Has a maximum certificated takeoff weight of not more than 6,000 pounds
Operating Requirements
  • Carries not more than five passengers
  • Operates under VFR or IFR, within the United States, at less than 18,000 feet MSL, not exceeding 250 knots.
  • Flight not operated for compensation or hire

Are you trying to say this STC is not required?
This has been discussed ad nauseam (even in this thread). And the FAA has released an FAQ about this very subject (also linked in this thread).

Right where you criticized them for obtaining a STC and releasing it free

Actually, that isn't what he said. He accused AOPA of working with a business to get a STC developed. Then once the business was offering the STC as a paid product, AOPA released the STC themselves for free and cut their legs out from under them. The business is now out the money they spent developing the product.

We don't know that is what happened, but I have gotten this coming from other directions besides here.

mine was gratis........ But I have a good relationship with my aP (and buy him a bottle of Eagle Rare for Xmas each year)

I received the STC yesterday. Shop A&P says the charge will be for 30 minutes to do the 337 paperwork. So free is as usual not 100% free.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually, that isn't what he said. He accused AOPA of working with a business to get a STC developed. Then once the business was offering the STC as a paid product, AOPA released the STC themselves for free and cut their legs out from under them. The business is now out the money they spent developing the product.

We don't know that is what happened, but I have gotten this coming from other directions besides here.
And while I did overstate AOPA's participation in the development, the fact remains that a simple "Hey, guys, just a heads-up, we've got an STC in the approval process now as well," would resolve my issues with AOPA in this, but that level of communication just isn't in AOPA's DNA for whatever reason.

Aeronautix had zero particpation in the development of AOPA's STC and any suggestion to the contrary is a complete fabrication.

As for the question about what AOPA was doing between March and June, great question! I was in favor of releasing the STC right away, but this is the first STC AOPA has ever owned and our very conservative and thorough legal team was researching nine ways to Sunday about the responsibilities related to owning and maintaing an STC and, of course, as only attorneys can, they were considering every possible liability scenario. Only when they had exhausted every possible angle did we get the green light to talk about it publicly.

Aeronautix had zero particpation in the development of AOPA's STC and any suggestion to the contrary is a complete fabrication.

As for the question about what AOPA was doing between March and June, great question! I was in favor of releasing the STC right away, but this is the first STC AOPA has ever owned and our very conservative and thorough legal team was researching nine ways to Sunday about the responsibilities related to owning and maintaing an STC and, of course, as only attorneys can, they were considering every possible liability scenario. Only when they had exhausted every possible angle did we get the green light to talk about it publicly.

Appreciate the answer.

Thanks for the reply TomHaines. Much appreciated. Lawyers can be thorough.

Why didn’t AOPA include the PA32-260 and PA32-300 on their STC? There’s a lot of disagreement about whether you can fly Basic Med in those aircraft and it is clearly a gray area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why didn’t AOPA include the PA32-260 and PA32-300 on their STC? There’s a lot of disagreement about whether you can fly Basic Med in those aircraft and it is clearly a gray area.

It all rolls back to what piper did on the original type data sheet. Look at it and if it says 7 seats or 6 optional, it's not a basic med plane.

Whatever disagreement exists is unwarranted. The FAA is clear on that particular issue. From the FAA's BasicMed FAQ, at Q33 (https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/media/basicmed_faq.pdf):

"The Piper PA-32-260 (Cherokee Six 260) and PA-32-300 (Cherokee Six 300) aircraft are authorized by their type certificate (as set forth in Type Certificate Data [TCDS] A3SO) to be equipped with 6 seats and also to be equipped with 7 seats only if they have been converted by the installation of Piper Kit No. 69072-3. If your PA-32-260 or PA-32-300 is equipped with 6 seats and has not been converted to a 7-seat configuration by installation of the Piper kit, you may fly the aircraft under BasicMed. If your aircraft has been converted to the 7-seat configuration using the Piper kit you may not fly the aircraft under BasicMed. To fly that aircraft under BasicMed you would have to remove the installed kit and document its removal in the aircraft’s maintenance records. An FAA Form 337 would not be required to document the installation or removal of the kit. You may also fly the aircraft under BasicMed if it is equipped with the 6-seat Optional Club Seat configuration." (emphasis added)

Back