Ormond Beach FL or Daytona International?

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
This is kind of a follow-up to my Myrtle Beach post a few days ago. I am building contingency plans for weather as we are VFR. Our window is 18- Mon thru 21-Thur next week. Weather down in Daytona looks good, as does the route

Question- Ormond Beach (OMN) or Daytona (DAB) for our arrival? FBO recommendation?

Appreciate the feedback

KDAB is very easy to utilize as a private pilot. And the SheltAir FBO there is top-notch. But there are downsides, with the incredible level of flight training at the airport, I have waited 47 minutes, engine turning, to make it from the ramp to the takeoff roll. Not only are the pilots training, but so are the controllers.
So KOMN is likely much better if you are planning to get a rental car anyway.

Flew into KDAB a few weeks ago. ATP Jet Center was easy to get into and out. Manager and Staff was very Friendly and offered/loaned daughter and I a car. We planned to use Uber or cab since we would be gone for 3-4 hours. Manager overheard us trying to make arrangements and intervened.

Airport was fairly busy but was no delay for us arriving nor departing. Maybe we got lucky but was our first time flying there. Both of us are low timers so we were a little nervous. Ended up being uneventful with no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use KDAB and Yelvington often. Great location that keeps you on the "quiet side" of the Embry Riddle rush, Very cheap fees and cheap fuel. Good service too, highly recommended.

DAB is better all around. I am based at KOMN, and the FBO there is almost strictly based around flight training of foreigners, mostly Chinese. Transient pilots are just a distraction to them. I often think I would like to open a real FBO there, but the $$$s don't make sense.

KDAB is very easy to utilize as a private pilot. And the SheltAir FBO there is top-notch. But there are downsides, with the incredible level of flight training at the airport, I have waited 47 minutes, engine turning, to make it from the ramp to the takeoff roll. Not only are the pilots training, but so are the controllers.
So KOMN is likely much better if you are planning to get a rental car anyway.

And for some reason they will have you taxi over to the training runway. I was 10 deep, while the main runway was mostly idle?

Back