Mike Busch's Engine book

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A search of PoA didn't turn up that we have discussed Mike Busch's new book. There are many mentions of Mike and his knowledge contributions in other articles, media, and forums, but we haven't talked about the book specifically.

I just purchased and downloaded the Kindle version.

If you have read the book (or are in the middle of reading it) share your thoughts or a review.

I'll do the same once I finish it.

Here is the link to Amazon if anyone is curious....

Mike Busch on Engines: What every aircraft owner needs to know about the design, operation, condition monitoring, maintenance and troubleshooting of piston aircraft engines
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1718608950/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7CxjBbFM1820Q

41MgC2QcvEL.jpg

Hmm interesting I’d like to read this. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah... the club's Skylane just got a new engine... makes for a good opportunity to learn how to get the most value (both performance and longevity) out of all that money we spent.

Got the paperback one, haven’t started reading it yet. Engulfed with Forever Flying

I find it somewhat interesting that Busch's book is barely out and it has been brought up a few times already, yet the Sky Ranch Engine Manual has been around for years and never gets mentioned.

I'm sure there is decent information in this new book but I doubt there is anything in it we didn't already know.

I have a long history with Mike On the internet. He's a great marketing guy. But, as an A&P, well, not so much.

I've relayed both of these here before:

Please recall that he once said that you don't have to worry about moisture in your oil in the winter because the air is dry...others had to point out to him that moisture in the oil is a byproduct of combustion and has nothing to do with ambient moisture (Cessna Pilots Association, circa 2004)

Please recall that he once said that using self service gas was a false economy because you're starting your engine one more time and it's proven that starts cause the most engine wear...others had to point out to him that it's cold starts that cause wear, not warm starts. (Cessna Pilots Association, circa 2006)

But now he's some kind of a f'ing guru whose book is worth reading? I ain't buying it.

If I wanted engine advice I'd talk to Ted or John Efinger, or Charlie Melot, or the boys in Ada long before I talked with Mike "blow hard" Busch.

That's the last aviation book I'd buy!

He preys on people with no mechanical knowledge.

All just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
EAA sells the Skyranch book. It’s worth having. The other one? I’ll pass.

Superior Air Parts gives their engine book away for free!

Sucker

Aviators

Victimized by

Villainous

Yahoo

(all just my opinion, of course)

Last edited:
Great thread guys - lots of useful links.

I have no opinion as to the technical savvy (like how I did that?) of Mr. Busch, but it is interesting to see that he has gained a few negative reviews. It would be useful, Tim, if you expanded on your reasons to doubt his technical expertise with a bit more depth than just making mistakes in a few internet posts. If he gives 98% useful information that is accurate, and then 2% dumb stuff, is it logical to ignore 100% of his publications and services?

I have no opinion as to the technical savvy (like how I did that?) of Mr. Busch, but it is interesting to see that he has gained a few negative reviews. It would be useful, Tim, if you expanded on your reasons to doubt his technical expertise with a bit more depth than just making mistakes in a few internet posts. If he gives 98% useful information that is accurate, and then 2% dumb stuff, is it logical to ignore 100% of his publications and services?

I know you’re not soliciting my opinion but what rubs me wrong about Busch is that he always seems to vilify mechanics and imply that they are stupid and crooks. Busch gives no better technical advice than what can be obtained elsewhere, yet he seems to have a cult like following among the non- technical savvy group of owners.

Personally, I’ll expand my knowledge of engines and how to operate and maintain them elsewhere.

I've relayed both of these here before:

Please recall that he once said that you don't have to worry about moisture in your oil in the winter because the air is dry...others had to point out to him that moisture in the oil is a byproduct of combustion and has nothing to do with ambient moisture (Cessna Pilots Association, circa 2004)

I’ll take exception to that statement. Oil is less dense than water, thus water should be below the oil in the sump. “Ambient moisture” after the engine is shut down, cooled and water settled should have more affect than the water under the oil, or it seems in my minds eye

Last edited:

I have no opinion as to the technical savvy (like how I did that?) of Mr. Busch, but it is interesting to see that he has gained a few negative reviews. It would be useful, Tim, if you expanded on your reasons to doubt his technical expertise with a bit more depth than just making mistakes in a few internet posts.

Well, I have a few more examples but they may be best left unwritten since this is a public forum. Those two, however, display complete ineptness because they are basic principles...very basic (again, that is just my opinion since this is a public forum).

The ineptness is quite clearly revealed in his "winter dry air and moisture in the crankcase" theory. Even most completely right brained people fully understand that crankcase moisture is a by-product of combustion...and someone who's portraying himself as a left brained guru doesn't? That's beyond the pale. And, actually, water contamination in the crankcase is worse in the winter, not less, in many engines because it's harder to get them up to operating temps and keep them there to "boil off" the water.

I too take exception (like @mondtster said) to his marketing strategy of asserting that every other A&P is out to screw you, that he's the only honest person in the business and he's there to save you from everyone else's predatory practices. Who's the one being predatory? I don't think it's everyone else (again, just my opinion).

It's kinda like when you repeatedly hear "there was no collusion." The more you hear it, the more you know it's a lie.

Sometime in private, I can relay the story of he and John Frank and the 400 series wing spar. That one is a real whopper.

I’ll take exception to that statement. Oil is less dense than water, thus water should be below the oil in the sump. “Ambient moisture” after the engine is shut down, cooled and water settled should have more affect than the water under the oil, or it seems in my minds eye

Huh? By "ambient moisture, I meant moisture available in the outside air. His assertion was that cold, winter air is so dry that you don't have to worry about water in your crankcase.

EAA sells the Skyranch book. It’s worth having. The other one? I’ll pass.

Superior Air Parts gives their engine book away for free!
So does Lycoming and Continental.

I find it somewhat interesting that Busch's book is barely out and it has been brought up a few times already, yet the Sky Ranch Engine Manual has been around for years and never gets mentioned.

I'm sure there is decent information in this new book but I doubt there is anything in it we didn't already know.
I, too, have the SkyRanch book. Great stuff! A few years ago a reviewer (possibly here?) commented that Busch's knowledge and expertise is aimed at the higher-end engines rather than the entire spectrum of engines, and he pretty much ignores the LSA world of Rotax and Jabiru engines. Has this changed in the new book?

I like Mikes presentations you can watch online. He puts a lot of solid info out there for general consumption. Would suggest it to anyone, would also suggest never taking a single source of information as unequivocal.

Not sure about his anti A&P stance but my personal expierence is of the 4 A&Ps I’ve worked with on plane maintenance issues I would consider 3 of them incompetent and of those 2 no doubt crooks.

His EAA webinars the past year or so have been wastes of time. He’s really reaching for material now. It feels like his articles have been heading this way for a while too.

Back