Scheduling Instructor Checkride Help

forseth11

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Forseth11
Hello. I am trying to finish up my CFI training within the next 7 weeks. I want to take my checkride with a designee (I can do with FAA if I need to). I know I have to contract the administrator and get permission, and I once called to get information. I was told once I was approved, I would get a checkride with a random designee within a 2 week period.

From my past experiences, designees have had a 1-3 month waiting period, so is that 2 week time period realistic?

Should I call now to try and get approval? Should I do a checkride with a FAA check guy, and if so, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks everyone!

*waves at his neighbor*

No info on the checkride question, but would like to know how I could get a ride in that good looking Mooney in your avatar photo.

*waves at his neighbor*

No info on the checkride question, but would like to know how I could get a ride in that good looking Mooney in your avatar photo.
If you have your private pilot's license, I can take you up. I need practice mock instructing, so would be great. The thing is... my Mooney does not have brakes on the right side, so that is why you must have your privates. What certificates / ratings do you have?

Hello. I am trying to finish up my CFI training within the next 7 weeks. I want to take my checkride with a designee (I can do with FAA if I need to). I know I have to contract the administrator and get permission, and I once called to get information. I was told once I was approved, I would get a checkride with a random designee within a 2 week period.

From my past experiences, designees have had a 1-3 month waiting period, so is that 2 week time period realistic?

Should I call now to try and get approval? Should I do a checkride with a FAA check guy, and if so, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks everyone!

Whatever school you're training with should be handling this.

Also it's been awhile but I didn't know you could choose if you got a DPE or ASI, my understanding is that's not the students call it's the feds, when I did mine based on where I was located I ether took it with a ASI or I didn't take it.

As far as which, presuming you even have a choice, as a much older pilot told me, (paraphrasing)
If you suck the big one you're going to fail, and rightfully so, if you know what you know you need to know you're good, so who cares.

If you have your private pilot's license, I can take you up. I need practice mock instructing, so would be great. The thing is... my Mooney does not have brakes on the right side, so that is why you must have your privates. What certificates / ratings do you have?
PPL/IFR and HP... no complex yet. Just over 400hrs TT in book.

Also it's been awhile but I didn't know you could choose if you got a DPE or ASI, my understanding is that's not the students call it's the feds, when I did mine based on where I was located I ether took it with a ASI or I didn't take it.

Things have changed. Some places don't even require that you contact the FSDO to obtain approval to use a DPE for an initial CFI ride these days.

I agree that the CFI/flight school providing the flight training should really be handling this.

Things have changed. Some places don't even require that you contact the FSDO to obtain approval to use a DPE for an initial CFI ride these days.

I agree that the CFI/flight school providing the flight training should really be handling this.

"No instructor left behind" :(

"No instructor left behind" :(

It definitely seems like airmanship and knowledge standards are being lowered. I don't think that has as much to do with who administers the checkride (ASI or DPE) as it does with how lax they are on things.

As far as which, presuming you even have a choice, as a much older pilot told me, (paraphrasing)
If you suck the big one you're going to fail, and rightfully so, if you know what you know you need to know you're good, so who cares.
I don't use a flight school. I am using an instructor and my dad is an instructor too. They gave their recommendations, but I am still confused about it and would like additional information from others. I am confident that I will do well regardless of FAA or designee. And I think you are right about it being the feds call. Just less stress with a designee is what I hear.

PPL/IFR and HP... no complex yet. Just over 400hrs TT in book.
Nice. I am down for it when I am free.

I don't use a flight school. I am using an instructor and my dad is an instructor too. They gave their recommendations, but I am still confused about it and would like additional information from others. I am confident that I will do well regardless of FAA or designee. And I think you are right about it being the feds call. Just less stress with a designee is what I hear.

Nice. I am down for it when I am free.

In that case, I'd just ask your CFI or your Dad, I'd give you a PIREP if I knew TX better, only examiners I now there work at flight saftey. Ether way good luck!

Thanks everyone!

The Orlando FSDO has you fill out a form online requesting an initial CFI checkride. They then assign a DPE to do your checkride. That takes two weeks and they send you an email telling you which DPE has been assigned. Then you contact the DPE and schedule the checkride with him. Depending on how busy he is you might get it within a week or two or it might be two months. If that is the way they do it there it is best to get the FSDO to assign a DPE as soon as possible so you can contact the DPE and determine the timeframe for the checkride.

The Orlando FSDO has you fill out a form online requesting an initial CFI checkride. They then assign a DPE to do your checkride. That takes two weeks and they send you an email telling you which DPE has been assigned. Then you contact the DPE and schedule the checkride with him. Depending on how busy he is you might get it within a week or two or it might be two months. If that is the way they do it there it is best to get the FSDO to assign a DPE as soon as possible so you can contact the DPE and determine the timeframe for the checkride.
Oh man... okay I will do that now then.

I'm sure I can find this with google, but where can I go exactly for the form?

I found the FSDO website with google and the "business" has a 2 star rating on google. xD

Edit: The website is just contact information

Oh man... okay I will do that now then.

I'm sure I can find this with google, but where can I go exactly for the form?

I don’t see a similar link on the North Texas FSDO page. Orlando might be unique in how they handle setting up initial CFI checkrides.

I contacted the dpe i wanted and he said said fill out a form on fsdo site then would get approval in 1 business day. He said faa doesnt do rides anymore its all dpes. Mine had open availibility.

Thanks everyone!

Hate to tell you this but talking to CFIs in various FSDO jurisdictions, there’s not any solid answers to these questions. Only “what the local FSDO usually does”.

The facts are:

You don’t get to choose if you have a designee or the FAA. The trend right now is to use designees, but all CFI Initial rides start with a request to the FSDO. They decide.

Once the request is made, the individual FSDO *AND* the local staff make a large difference in how fast they’ll get back to you. Around here they’re log-jammed and all the instructors I’ve talked to who are trying to keep CFI candidates on a schedule, have to assist the candidate or even handle the calls themselves because our FSDO is behind. Always.

After that, you don’t get to choose your designee here. They try to randomize it. Instructors can suggest that they’ve talked with one or two and they know they have openings in their schedule, but FSDO ultimately decides which designee is used for a CFI Initial. They’ll work with people but it’s ultimately their call.

Any sort of “accelerated” program on a fast schedule at a school, the CFI *MUST* get involved if they don’t want their student schedules all coming to a halt and them going out of business because of it.

At least one small school hung it up in the region because they were doing accelerated advanced ratings and CFI checkrides for people traveling to the area couldn’t get scheduled or even call backs from the FSDO for weeks. The owner said the whole thing wasn’t worth the effort and closed up shop a while back.

(I’m not picking on the FSDO or complaining here, I’m telling you like it is... here... so you can see the complexity of it when asked on a national forum.)

Once you get the local FSDO to respond with the approval to use a specific designee, then the reality is that the designee schedules are slammed also right now. SOME designees will leave gaps in their own schedules for the calls from the FSDO for CFI rides, as they are approved by the FSDO, or at least try to get candidates into any available opening because they know the instructor and candidate have been already waiting for anywhere from two to four weeks for the approval.

So... around here... it’s very fluid. And everybody has to work together.

Your best source of information on this in YOUR area is your CFI. They’ll know how it’s actually working (or not working as the case may be) and whether they need to assist, or not, and how the typical timeline looks for your FSDO. There’s really no better place to ask.

I’ve heard of candidates going a couple of days for a call back and a designee assignment, to a month here. Most recommending instructors are assisting in some fashion or another to move things along when bottlenecks or logjams form.

A lot of this comes back to informal “processes” here. As candidates are getting close, the instructors who are recommending students regularly get to chat with the examiners before/after other checkrides and get a feel for their schedules and try to steer things a little to keep stuff moving.

Hopefully to allay some fears, we haven’t seen 3 MONTH waits on designees yet. I sure hope your local area isn’t that behind.

The safest advice around here for candidates is to tell them to get ready and to expect an unknown wait of up to a month and go at it from there.

That’s what the CFIs doing all the recommending around here are saying to me, anyway. SOP is different elsewhere, talking to other CFIs in other regions.

Once behind the INITIAL ride, instructors and candidates can work directly with designees to get add-on rides scheduled. That process goes much faster but is still highly dependent on the DPE’s schedule.

And then of course, there’s life. Both my DPE and I BOTH caught the flu in different weeks leading up to my add-on ride. That made a mess of everyone’s schedule. We got it done about a month later than originally planned.

I contacted the dpe i wanted and he said said fill out a form on fsdo site then would get approval in 1 business day. He said faa doesnt do rides anymore its all dpes. Mine had open availibility.
I couldn't find a form at all. I will give them a call Monday morning. They make it so complicated I guess.

Hate to tell you this but talking to CFIs in various FSDO jurisdictions, there’s not any solid answers to these questions. Only “what the local FSDO usually does”.

The facts are:

You don’t get to choose if you have a designee or the FAA. The trend right now is to use designees, but all CFI Initial rides start with a request to the FSDO. They decide.

Once the request is made, the individual FSDO *AND* the local staff make a large difference in how fast they’ll get back to you. Around here they’re log-jammed and all the instructors I’ve talked to who are trying to keep CFI candidates on a schedule, have to assist the candidate or even handle the calls themselves because our FSDO is behind. Always.

After that, you don’t get to choose your designee here. They try to randomize it. Instructors can suggest that they’ve talked with one or two and they know they have openings in their schedule, but FSDO ultimately decides which designee is used for a CFI Initial. They’ll work with people but it’s ultimately their call.

Any sort of “accelerated” program on a fast schedule at a school, the CFI *MUST* get involved if they don’t want their student schedules all coming to a halt and them going out of business because of it.

At least one small school hung it up in the region because they were doing accelerated advanced ratings and CFI checkrides for people traveling to the area couldn’t get scheduled or even call backs from the FSDO for weeks. The owner said the whole thing wasn’t worth the effort and closed up shop a while back.

(I’m not picking on the FSDO or complaining here, I’m telling you like it is... here... so you can see the complexity of it when asked on a national forum.)

Once you get the local FSDO to respond with the approval to use a specific designee, then the reality is that the designee schedules are slammed also right now. SOME designees will leave gaps in their own schedules for the calls from the FSDO for CFI rides, as they are approved by the FSDO, or at least try to get candidates into any available opening because they know the instructor and candidate have been already waiting for anywhere from two to four weeks for the approval.

So... around here... it’s very fluid. And everybody has to work together.

Your best source of information on this in YOUR area is your CFI. They’ll know how it’s actually working (or not working as the case may be) and whether they need to assist, or not, and how the typical timeline looks for your FSDO. There’s really no better place to ask.

I’ve heard of candidates going a couple of days for a call back and a designee assignment, to a month here. Most recommending instructors are assisting in some fashion or another to move things along when bottlenecks or logjams form.

A lot of this comes back to informal “processes” here. As candidates are getting close, the instructors who are recommending students regularly get to chat with the examiners before/after other checkrides and get a feel for their schedules and try to steer things a little to keep stuff moving.

Hopefully to allay some fears, we haven’t seen 3 MONTH waits on designees yet. I sure hope your local area isn’t that behind.

The safest advice around here for candidates is to tell them to get ready and to expect an unknown wait of up to a month and go at it from there.

That’s what the CFIs doing all the recommending around here are saying to me, anyway. SOP is different elsewhere, talking to other CFIs in other regions.

Once behind the INITIAL ride, instructors and candidates can work directly with designees to get add-on rides scheduled. That process goes much faster but is still highly dependent on the DPE’s schedule.

And then of course, there’s life. Both my DPE and I BOTH caught the flu in different weeks leading up to my add-on ride. That made a mess of everyone’s schedule. We got it done about a month later than originally planned.
This is bad... I really need to have this done before August. I am taking Calc 2 this fall, and I haven't done Calc 1 in 2 years, so I need 15 days to catch up on it. Guess I will just have to do it during full time college I guess.

About 6 months ago I was confused about this all and gave them a call. I found their staff list and made a specific call the some guy who was suppose to deal with all this. I got through right away and they talked about paperwork stuff followed by a two week wait. Now I am just as confused. xD

When I went for my private checkride, the DPEs around me (Fort Worth, Texas) had a 3-4 month wait. I got in early because I said just let me go if anyone cancels and that happened. The same thing for my instrument rating and same for my commercial, but it went down to 2 month wait. When I did my Multi-addon, there was no wait because the DPE is scheduled ahead of time for the 3 day cram course.

I will get this ball rolling tomorrow. Hopefully it can be setup within 8 weeks. That's two months, so I sure hope so.

@foreseth11 get with your CFI and get going on it and you should be able to get it done.

The other thing you have going for you is if you’re all prepped and really ready before class starts, let’s call it “readiness” won’t take more than a day or two.

One day to fly with your instructor to make sure your brain didn’t disengage, and one more day to get your brain going on teaching again with oral prep.

This is assuming you’re truly ready long before those two days, of course. But if you get ready and have to wait a little just fly a bit for keeping the skills sharp and plan for a couple of “readiness” days, and you’ll be fine.

It’s a tough ride but if your instructor is having you start the FSDO process, they either know you’re ready or have a plan in mind to tighten up whatever they see is still problematic. That’s more of a style thing, but once you have that sign off to take the ride, you’re ready.

Won’t take nearly the effort to maintain it as learning it in the first place. You might get a bad Calculus homework score for two days. :)

@foreseth11 get with your CFI and get going on it and you should be able to get it done.

The other thing you have going for you is if you’re all prepped and really ready before class starts, let’s call it “readiness” won’t take more than a day or two.

One day to fly with your instructor to make sure your brain didn’t disengage, and one more day to get your brain going on teaching again with oral prep.

This is assuming you’re truly ready long before those two days, of course. But if you get ready and have to wait a little just fly a bit for keeping the skills sharp and plan for a couple of “readiness” days, and you’ll be fine.

It’s a tough ride but if your instructor is having you start the FSDO process, they either know you’re ready or have a plan in mind to tighten up whatever they see is still problematic. That’s more of a style thing, but once you have that sign off to take the ride, you’re ready.

Won’t take nearly the effort to maintain it as learning it in the first place. You might get a bad Calculus homework score for two days. :)
You are right.

Basically, my plane was down for 12 months. About 8 months ago, I studied up and took the FOI and FIA 7 months ago. I was ready for oral and did ground instruction practice and figured 1-2 weeks of flying and I would be ready for checkride 6 months ago. Plane was delayed further and my college got quite difficult in spring (because in tech writing I wrote a 152 page book/guide for private and student pilots).

After that, I did nothing with flying for like a month because of finals for both highschool and college and some AP tests.

The plane was finally fixed, and I needed a proficiency check for IFR, so I studied my instrument quizlet stuff and reviewed stuff and learned new GPS and got recurrent. After this, I started on getting back into CFI stuff, but less than a week later, I got to go on a trip and right seat in a Phenom 100. Once I got back from the trip I actually started studying again.

It took me 4 days to feel comfortable with FOI knowledge and I didn't need a review for technical knowledge. The biggest thing for me is... all the rote memory items. I mean I can explain each thing, but not always with the exact words. For example, I can explain the cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains, but as of now, I still have trouble recalling the 7 parts of the psychomotor domain. There are so many FOI memorization items, and most of it is logical and practical. For example: I have to memorize the 7 defense mechanisms, but any time I have to recall it, I might leave one out. Like I often forget resignation or aggression, but if I was asked a scenario instead of listing the 7, I know it and it is obvious.

All this being said... I am worried about all this because I hear the oral is much harder than any I have done before.
Here is how I would rate my oral experiences on difficulty level:
Private: 5/10 (harder because first time, and instructor did paperwork wrong and threw me off)
Instrument: 2/10
Commercial: 3/10
Multi: 1/10
I expect the initial CFI to be a 10/10. At least that is my understanding of it.

What I am trying to say is that I have no trouble with applied knowledge or understanding concepts or scenarios or explaining stuff. My biggest struggle is rote memory, and the FOI stuff has so much non-aviation related rote memory (teaching stuff). I love to learn it though. My other weak point (atm) is transfer of knowledge; I tend to give too much information at once. That is why I hired another CFI. My dad was my CFI, but he is out of town working for an airline a lot, so I needed someone who I could spend more time with refining actual instruction skills.

Sorry for the long post. This is just all the information.

Good details. Some comments @foreseth11 ...

First, are you one of the lucky few who’ve flown with Greg / P1D? I’m just going on your Phenom story here. Ha, so I’m curious. Which one are you, if so?

First off, remember this is a teaching test, not like any other checkride you’ve done. Don’t freak yourself out too much about the rote memorization of the FOI material. There may be some DPEs out there who might want that memorized, but think about it from their shoes.

They want to see you actually studied the material and have ideas on how to APPLY it to teaching. If you stumble on two out of seven of some list of things in the FOI, it’s VERY unlikely to be a bust. It’s an open book checkride, and you’re NOT teaching your simulated student the FOI.

Your DPE will go back and forth between traditional knowledge questions as an evaluator and pretending to be a student, if they’re any good. They’ll tell you when they’re each. But the “knowledge” DPE personality isn’t that likely to hammer you on that list of stuff. They will ask about it, maybe, if that’s one of their things they like to ask about the FOI. They’re not looking for FOI perfection. They’re looking to see that you studied the rather dense material and thought about how it applies to teaching a student.

The FOI is a terminology basis for discussing how to teach. It’s not the end all be all of teaching, and I can’t think of any local DPE who thinks it is. So study it. But relax a bit. You can look up a couple of items if you show you’re understanding where their question is going. Take a brain box along and be organized with reference materials and you’ll be fine on knowledge questions.

Remember what they’re evaluating is if you know this material exists, have thought about how you’d apply it, and can hold a serious discussion about teaching it. FARs, AIM, FOI, PHAK, all of the FAA reference material is fair game, but nobody walks into a CFI ride with every FAA document memorized. Hell, then you add ACs, and even Chief Counsel letters, which aren’t organized or published in any sane method, and the material base you have to be aware of as an instructor, is impossibly broad. You MUST show a willingness to reference the source material when teaching. There’s literally no way you can teach all of it from memory.

Okay, let’s talk about your impression of the oral for a sec. it’s actually NOT harder than any other oral you’ve taken. In fact, it’s the SAME orals. But now you’re expected to be able to TEACH the material.

Example: On a Commercial ride, you’re going to be asked detailed systems questions about the aircraft you’re flying today. On a CFI ride, you’re going to be presented with someone who’s “never seen this aircraft before... teach me about the propellor on this airplane”... and they sit and wait.

Your job on this checkride is to figure out how to impart everything you know about the airplane’s propellor to a student. Is it constant speed? What does that mean? Can you draw a diagram and explain why we want that? How is it controlled? How does a propellor work, anyway? How does that control system work? What are the possible failure modes? Why? What are the possible outcomes of a failure?

See? This is not a “what do you know?” checkride. This is a “how do you teach the person who walked in and has never seen the oil cap of their car, how an oil pressure driven propellor system works on an airplane...” checkride.

Watch examples. There’s a lot of them. Lots of people rag on the Kings for example, but... the ENTIRE Commercial maneuvers DVD is LESS than two hours. And they even have time to show in flight examples AND describe EVERYTHING a pilot needs to know about them in that amount of time. They’re assuming a Private rated level of understanding to start with, but they have their information delivery down to a science. ONLY what’s needed.

In this regard, study the ACS. Study it in a different way than you ever have before. Think about how you would present each item and ONLY each item listed. Would that item take an hour? Two? What building blocks would you break it up into to make two or three lessons about it? Did YOU have two or three lessons about that topic? How did YOUR instructor do it?

This is how you need to think about prepping for the CFI ride. It’s not the same prep as for other rides. In the other rides someone prepped you for a session of being grilled on your knowledge and airmanship. In this ride, YOU are that person. You’re prepping the DPE to TAKE these rides.

You quite likely WILL spend a full hour teaching about ONE topic.

Pick up the books looking at them in a new light. “How would I teach this? How would I evaluate a student that I taught?” Grab Kershner books, Machado books, King videos, whatever you can get your hands on, and realize those folks have their methodology down hard. They’ve been doing it for three or more decades.

Mimic them outright, if you’re unsure of how to present a topic. No kidding. They’ve been thinking about how to present that topic for decades longer than you’ve been thinking about it. Their format, visual aids, and flow have been worked out over a LONG period of time.

Study how they TEACH it. Not the material itself. You’re beyond that. If you turn on a Private Pilot video from a pro training place, or on YouTube, watch it for HOW it teaches, not what it teaches.

Think about how you’ll teach and you’ll nail it. Get caught up in tiny details of the FOI, that’s not teaching.

By the way, one of the reasons the CFI checkride is grueling is teaching is a very active thing, mentality and physically. Get up. Grab that airplane model. Show the student how the airplane will move in the air. Draw diagrams on the whiteboard. Show a short video clip of someone who explains it better than you do. Practice this before the ride. With or without a person present.

Four hours of that or more, you’ll be TIRED. You’ll need a break before the flight portion. And then you’ll launch and teach some more. Depart the area safely, teach all the way to the practice area. Traffic scan, radio work, procedures for this aircraft, checklist use, then you’ll demo maneuvers and the DPE may simulate “trying one” and you’ll coach and evaluate, or even stop the maneuver and correct and demonstrate again. Etc.

The fastest way to a CFI ride bust is not to TEACH. You can have an entire brain box of material at your disposal and use it. It’s a test to see if you know how to use the material and convey it in a solid way to someone. NOT a test of the material.

Circling back to the FOI list you mentioned... how would you teach it? How would you evaluate a CFI candidate knew it? Practice on yourself. What worked?

So there’s a typical long Nate post back at’cha. Hope it helps.

Good details. Some comments @foreseth11 ...

First, are you one of the lucky few who’ve flown with Greg / P1D? I’m just going on your Phenom story here. Ha, so I’m curious. Which one are you, if so?

First off, remember this is a teaching test, not like any other checkride you’ve done. Don’t freak yourself out too much about the rote memorization of the FOI material. There may be some DPEs out there who might want that memorized, but think about it from their shoes.

They want to see you actually studied the material and have ideas on how to APPLY it to teaching. If you stumble on two out of seven of some list of things in the FOI, it’s VERY unlikely to be a bust. It’s an open book checkride, and you’re NOT teaching your simulated student the FOI.

Your DPE will go back and forth between traditional knowledge questions as an evaluator and pretending to be a student, if they’re any good. They’ll tell you when they’re each. But the “knowledge” DPE personality isn’t that likely to hammer you on that list of stuff. They will ask about it, maybe, if that’s one of their things they like to ask about the FOI. They’re not looking for FOI perfection. They’re looking to see that you studied the rather dense material and thought about how it applies to teaching a student.

The FOI is a terminology basis for discussing how to teach. It’s not the end all be all of teaching, and I can’t think of any local DPE who thinks it is. So study it. But relax a bit. You can look up a couple of items if you show you’re understanding where their question is going. Take a brain box along and be organized with reference materials and you’ll be fine on knowledge questions.

Remember what they’re evaluating is if you know this material exists, have thought about how you’d apply it, and can hold a serious discussion about teaching it. FARs, AIM, FOI, PHAK, all of the FAA reference material is fair game, but nobody walks into a CFI ride with every FAA document memorized. Hell, then you add ACs, and even Chief Counsel letters, which aren’t organized or published in any sane method, and the material base you have to be aware of as an instructor, is impossibly broad. You MUST show a willingness to reference the source material when teaching. There’s literally no way you can teach all of it from memory.

Okay, let’s talk about your impression of the oral for a sec. it’s actually NOT harder than any other oral you’ve taken. In fact, it’s the SAME orals. But now you’re expected to be able to TEACH the material.

Example: On a Commercial ride, you’re going to be asked detailed systems questions about the aircraft you’re flying today. On a CFI ride, you’re going to be presented with someone who’s “never seen this aircraft before... teach me about the propellor on this airplane”... and they sit and wait.

Your job on this checkride is to figure out how to impart everything you know about the airplane’s propellor to a student. Is it constant speed? What does that mean? Can you draw a diagram and explain why we want that? How is it controlled? How does a propellor work, anyway? How does that control system work? What are the possible failure modes? Why? What are the possible outcomes of a failure?

See? This is not a “what do you know?” checkride. This is a “how do you teach the person who walked in and has never seen the oil cap of their car, how an oil pressure driven propellor system works on an airplane...” checkride.

Watch examples. There’s a lot of them. Lots of people rag on the Kings for example, but... the ENTIRE Commercial maneuvers DVD is LESS than two hours. And they even have time to show in flight examples AND describe EVERYTHING a pilot needs to know about them in that amount of time. They’re assuming a Private rated level of understanding to start with, but they have their information delivery down to a science. ONLY what’s needed.

In this regard, study the ACS. Study it in a different way than you ever have before. Think about how you would present each item and ONLY each item listed. Would that item take an hour? Two? What building blocks would you break it up into to make two or three lessons about it? Did YOU have two or three lessons about that topic? How did YOUR instructor do it?

This is how you need to think about prepping for the CFI ride. It’s not the same prep as for other rides. In the other rides someone prepped you for a session of being grilled on your knowledge and airmanship. In this ride, YOU are that person. You’re prepping the DPE to TAKE these rides.

You quite likely WILL spend a full hour teaching about ONE topic.

Pick up the books looking at them in a new light. “How would I teach this? How would I evaluate a student that I taught?” Grab Kershner books, Machado books, King videos, whatever you can get your hands on, and realize those folks have their methodology down hard. They’ve been doing it for three or more decades.

Mimic them outright, if you’re unsure of how to present a topic. No kidding. They’ve been thinking about how to present that topic for decades longer than you’ve been thinking about it. Their format, visual aids, and flow have been worked out over a LONG period of time.

Study how they TEACH it. Not the material itself. You’re beyond that. If you turn on a Private Pilot video from a pro training place, or on YouTube, watch it for HOW it teaches, not what it teaches.

Think about how you’ll teach and you’ll nail it. Get caught up in tiny details of the FOI, that’s not teaching.

By the way, one of the reasons the CFI checkride is grueling is teaching is a very active thing, mentality and physically. Get up. Grab that airplane model. Show the student how the airplane will move in the air. Draw diagrams on the whiteboard. Show a short video clip of someone who explains it better than you do. Practice this before the ride. With or without a person present.

Four hours of that or more, you’ll be TIRED. You’ll need a break before the flight portion. And then you’ll launch and teach some more. Depart the area safely, teach all the way to the practice area. Traffic scan, radio work, procedures for this aircraft, checklist use, then you’ll demo maneuvers and the DPE may simulate “trying one” and you’ll coach and evaluate, or even stop the maneuver and correct and demonstrate again. Etc.

The fastest way to a CFI ride bust is not to TEACH. You can have an entire brain box of material at your disposal and use it. It’s a test to see if you know how to use the material and convey it in a solid way to someone. NOT a test of the material.

Circling back to the FOI list you mentioned... how would you teach it? How would you evaluate a CFI candidate knew it? Practice on yourself. What worked?

So there’s a typical long Nate post back at’cha. Hope it helps.
Uh I don't know "Greg" is, but I heard of P1D. I actually flew with a friend who flies for the Oregon Duck coaches. We got to fly from Eugene, Oregon to Colorado Springs and back. It was totally worth it.

I'm nervous about it because it is so different. That is true about DPEs. The one I always tested with never asked rote questions. He would ask a question like: "Tell me everything about the engine on your plane." And he would have me talk until I ran out of stuff to say. Then he would say: "Do you know anything else about your engine?" as if he wanted more info. Since it is open book, could I bring notes / FOI book to reference if needed? I have a ton of lesson plans and FAR and model plane and visual aids and things like that which I will be taking with. Oh an a maneuvers handbook and ACS and PTS. I have about 30 pages of content I created, 250 pages I purchased, and 150 pages in a book I made, but it is hardly useful for the checkride. The thing is... all these documents are on my iPad. Do you think they would let me use it during the checkride? (I'll be sure to ask before going).

I have studied so so so much, and I understand and try to apply the knowledge I learn any place I can.

I know I can't teach everything from memory. It is just about rote memory items regarding FOI. I have the knowledge and reference stuff down for technical items.

Okay that makes the oral seem a lot easier. My dad (CFI) told me his CFI initial was the hardest. I think it was because he had laid back DPEs then he did it with an FAA guy.

I have 150 hours in the plane I am testing in. I can explain almost anything on it. I even got to watch most of the engine overhaul so I can explain... correction TEACH the DPE about my plane and all other required topics like maneuvers. I have the knowledge. Right now I give myself a 9/10 for knowledge and a 5/10 for teaching. I can explain material, but I have a hard time transferring the knowledge like a good teacher. That is why I am getting training; to learn to teach rather than explain.

I got the building block, syllabus, planning, and introduction to a topic down, but after I introduce a topic and talk about it, I tend to explain WAY too much information at one time when I know it should be blocked and I digress into many subtopics. Oh and I also forget to ask questions along the way like "why do we do blank" and "how do we do blank" and "when would be a good time to do blank". The bright side is, I am well aware of what I am not doing right and aware of what I am doing right, so over this week, I hope to turn that 5/10 into a 8/10, and within 5 weeks I want both to be a 10/10.

My instructor said the same thing about watching videos. I have both Sporty's video ground school courses. I will watch those and get a knowledge refresh and learn how they teach. My instructor recommended that and watch TED talks.

Thanks for mentioning whiteboards. I moved out of my moms, and I forgot I had a 2.5x2ft long white board I used to use ALL the time. I will incorporate that for sure!

I don't mind long posts. :p

I got the building block, syllabus, planning, and introduction to a topic down, but after I introduce a topic and talk about it, I tend to explain WAY too much information at one time when I know it should be blocked and I digress into many subtopics.

Cool on the Phenom. It looks like a fun airplane.

Simple answer to this, and you won’t believe me, but it’s this.
DON’T DO IT. Just don’t. Stop yourself.

Stick to your lesson plan. The student can’t absorb everything that you know in one session. They simply can’t. The DPE will simulate this.

Think about how long it took your instructor to teach you these things. Go slow. Pause. If you slow down you’ll remember to ask those leading questions.

I made 3x5 cards for topics. No kidding. If a topic came up, I took a moment, looked at my card, and taught exactly what was on the card unless the “student” asked a question. And even then, if the building blocks are correct and in the correct order on the cards, you can say, “that’s too advanced for today’s lesson, we will be covering that shortly.”

In simulated ground school, you can put a “parking lot” spot on your whiteboard for questions that come up that you’re going to cover later, because you know your lesson plan. You’re the teacher, control your “classroom”.

Why 3x5 cards? Because you can’t write very much on them. Whatever you write will have to be very clear, concise, and cover everything that needs to be covered in that lesson. Nothing more. It’ll often be just a short bullet point list of items for your memory, it’s not a document to hand to the student.

Same thing in the airplane. I had 3x5 cards for all maneuvers. Every single one of them had the list of required items in the maneuver on one half and the common bust items on the other. (The bust times are both a reminder for you when flying them, and a list of things to discuss that you’ve already covered with this student in ground school and pre-flight.)

And somewhere on the card a memory jogger for clearing turns/safety, minimum altitudes, items specific to this airplane (flap speeds), etc.

Everything needed to teach a maneuver and nothing else.

Front side only. Short.

Then STICK TO IT. No wandering off. The student is paying you to teach what’s on the card. Write the card so that any other CFI could be handed the card as you told them you had a family emergency and had to leave, and could teach YOUR student an exact set of items today.

Then try to talk your imaginary student through the items on the card. Were they our of order? Trash the card and write it again.

Card done in flight? Announce the maneuver is complete. Cruise checklist. Immediately. Then evaluate student performance (or your own if you were simulating demonstrating the maneuver).

Ask the student if they have any questions. Ask if they’d like you to demonstrate it again.

Treat the DPE like a real paying student. Respect the student, make sure they’re learning, cover confusing items, demonstrate as needed, don’t forget safety always. Set a standard for them to follow. Checklist use, proper hand off of controls. Etc.

Also, make a quick note for the student debrief after you land on their performance. Something they need work on and something they did well. Show the DPE that you’re serious about teaching.

Be... an instructor. For the whole ride. Speak like an instructor. Stick to the plan. Write the plan. Mine was on 3x5 cards. I’ve seen other people make cheat sheets with multiple maneuvers on them, as one sheet full of boxes. Whatever.

The card is your instructing checklist. Nothing else. The student was 90% saturated the second they started the engine. You’ve only got 10% of their attention, make every thing on the card important enough to cram into that 10%.

On a typical CFI checkride flight I carried a box full of cards. I used about eight of them. That’s it. It’ll be over faster than you think.

The DPE can’t cover all the cards in a checkride.

Just like you can’t write Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators on to a 3x5 card to cover aerodynamic stalls.

You CAN write enough on a 3x5 card to cover everything in the ACS about stalls. A few cards. One ground card, another for each stall maneuver on the ACS.

Take the technique or leave it. It worked for me. Around here, I can write a few pages about a topic. In the airplane or an hour at the whiteboard, no way. No student will get anything from that. Whatever fits on a card is a complete lesson. Done. Announce it’s over and move on.

Since you may someday have to teach the FOI to a CFI-candidate perhaps your DPE would be pleased to see that you have lesson plans and presentations for the FOI so that you won't have to memorize everything for your checkride.

Cool on the Phenom. It looks like a fun airplane.

Simple answer to this, and you won’t believe me, but it’s this.
DON’T DO IT. Just don’t. Stop yourself.

Stick to your lesson plan. The student can’t absorb everything that you know in one session. They simply can’t. The DPE will simulate this.

Think about how long it took your instructor to teach you these things. Go slow. Pause. If you slow down you’ll remember to ask those leading questions.

I made 3x5 cards for topics. No kidding. If a topic came up, I took a moment, looked at my card, and taught exactly what was on the card unless the “student” asked a question. And even then, if the building blocks are correct and in the correct order on the cards, you can say, “that’s too advanced for today’s lesson, we will be covering that shortly.”

In simulated ground school, you can put a “parking lot” spot on your whiteboard for questions that come up that you’re going to cover later, because you know your lesson plan. You’re the teacher, control your “classroom”.

Why 3x5 cards? Because you can’t write very much on them. Whatever you write will have to be very clear, concise, and cover everything that needs to be covered in that lesson. Nothing more. It’ll often be just a short bullet point list of items for your memory, it’s not a document to hand to the student.

Same thing in the airplane. I had 3x5 cards for all maneuvers. Every single one of them had the list of required items in the maneuver on one half and the common bust items on the other. (The bust times are both a reminder for you when flying them, and a list of things to discuss that you’ve already covered with this student in ground school and pre-flight.)

And somewhere on the card a memory jogger for clearing turns/safety, minimum altitudes, items specific to this airplane (flap speeds), etc.

Everything needed to teach a maneuver and nothing else.

Front side only. Short.

Then STICK TO IT. No wandering off. The student is paying you to teach what’s on the card. Write the card so that any other CFI could be handed the card as you told them you had a family emergency and had to leave, and could teach YOUR student an exact set of items today.

Then try to talk your imaginary student through the items on the card. Were they our of order? Trash the card and write it again.

Card done in flight? Announce the maneuver is complete. Cruise checklist. Immediately. Then evaluate student performance (or your own if you were simulating demonstrating the maneuver).

Ask the student if they have any questions. Ask if they’d like you to demonstrate it again.

Treat the DPE like a real paying student. Respect the student, make sure they’re learning, cover confusing items, demonstrate as needed, don’t forget safety always. Set a standard for them to follow. Checklist use, proper hand off of controls. Etc.

Also, make a quick note for the student debrief after you land on their performance. Something they need work on and something they did well. Show the DPE that you’re serious about teaching.

Be... an instructor. For the whole ride. Speak like an instructor. Stick to the plan. Write the plan. Mine was on 3x5 cards. I’ve seen other people make cheat sheets with multiple maneuvers on them, as one sheet full of boxes. Whatever.

The card is your instructing checklist. Nothing else. The student was 90% saturated the second they started the engine. You’ve only got 10% of their attention, make every thing on the card important enough to cram into that 10%.

On a typical CFI checkride flight I carried a box full of cards. I used about eight of them. That’s it. It’ll be over faster than you think.

The DPE can’t cover all the cards in a checkride.

Just like you can’t write Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators on to a 3x5 card to cover aerodynamic stalls.

You CAN write enough on a 3x5 card to cover everything in the ACS about stalls. A few cards. One ground card, another for each stall maneuver on the ACS.

Take the technique or leave it. It worked for me. Around here, I can write a few pages about a topic. In the airplane or an hour at the whiteboard, no way. No student will get anything from that. Whatever fits on a card is a complete lesson. Done. Announce it’s over and move on.
Did you do 3x5 cards for every topic? I planned out what cards I would need and found I would need a ton of notecards.

What format did you use on your notecards?

Also, I called the FSDO office. They transferred me to someone, but I had to leave a message. It has been 2 days and no reply. My instructor said he is going to make repeat calls until they do something.

EDIT:
I am going to do the notecards and I am going to do it in the following format:
- TOPIC on top and on back
- list of info which must be covered (will have numbers and stuff to remember when teaching as well) This will be followed by a number. The higher the number is, the later it should be taught.
- If the list item has its own card then it will have a star by it

For example with the numbing part of the notecards: if I was teaching about drag for the first time (as apart of the four forces) I will not discuss the two types of drag and the forms of parasite drag, but it will be on the card.

Last edited:
Did you do 3x5 cards for every topic? I planned out what cards I would need and found I would need a ton of notecards.

What format did you use on your notecards?

Also, I called the FSDO office. They transferred me to someone, but I had to leave a message. It has been 2 days and no reply. My instructor said he is going to make repeat calls until they do something.

EDIT:
I am going to do the notecards and I am going to do it in the following format:
- TOPIC on top and on back
- list of info which must be covered (will have numbers and stuff to remember when teaching as well) This will be followed by a number. The higher the number is, the later it should be taught.
- If the list item has its own card then it will have a star by it

For example with the numbing part of the notecards: if I was teaching about drag for the first time (as apart of the four forces) I will not discuss the two types of drag and the forms of parasite drag, but it will be on the card.

Yep. A small box full of them for everything on the Private and Commercial ACS.

Format: BRIEF and handwritten. The whole point of the cards was to LIMIT what I would teach about on any one topic to EXACTLY what was required. Because otherwise I would talk too much. Having to write all the cards both made me think about how much I didn’t want to write and what HAD to be on each.

In your example, I didn’t number or order them. Just pull out what you need as a reference and stick to it. You already know you’re not teaching advanced emergency procedures on day one to someone who’s never seen an airplane up close before.

I also didn’t use the back unless I absolutely had to. Try it. Try teaching the ground school of any particular maneuver with a double sided card. You probably won’t be able to keep it below an hour if you do that and your memory joggers are good enough on the card. If you’re knowledgeable about the topic, and you are since you already passed multiple rides, you’ll find the drawing and talking and simplifying will take up lots of time.

Grab a stopwatch. Teach a topic. Say, “Wake turbulence avoidance”. Start with “what is wake turbulence” and end when you run out of things to say about it. How long did it take?

Try another one. Stalls. Teach your dog everything you know about stalls. Time it. Took longer than you thought, didn’t it?

Never had a call back from a FSDO ever in two days. A week is pretty common around here.

Yep. A small box full of them for everything on the Private and Commercial ACS.

Format: BRIEF and handwritten. The whole point of the cards was to LIMIT what I would teach about on any one topic to EXACTLY what was required. Because otherwise I would talk too much. Having to write all the cards both made me think about how much I didn’t want to write and what HAD to be on each.

In your example, I didn’t number or order them. Just pull out what you need as a reference and stick to it. You already know you’re not teaching advanced emergency procedures on day one to someone who’s never seen an airplane up close before.

I also didn’t use the back unless I absolutely had to. Try it. Try teaching the ground school of any particular maneuver with a double sided card. You probably won’t be able to keep it below an hour if you do that and your memory joggers are good enough on the card. If you’re knowledgeable about the topic, and you are since you already passed multiple rides, you’ll find the drawing and talking and simplifying will take up lots of time.

Grab a stopwatch. Teach a topic. Say, “Wake turbulence avoidance”. Start with “what is wake turbulence” and end when you run out of things to say about it. How long did it take?

Try another one. Stalls. Teach your dog everything you know about stalls. Time it. Took longer than you thought, didn’t it?

Never had a call back from a FSDO ever in two days. A week is pretty common around here.
Okay. This might take awhile.

How is this one? Should I reduce the info on it? If so, how?
s9qnOWT.jpg

A week? Geez..

I will practice teaching on some friends (some pilots - some not)

Okay. This might take awhile.

How is this one? Should I reduce the info on it? If so, how?
s9qnOWT.jpg

A week? Geez..

I will practice teaching on some friends (some pilots - some not)

Looks about like mine. Remember it wasn’t my actual lesson plan, it was just a memory jogger card. For me. To limit what I was saying.

Mine probably has “- Rudder Left/Right” on it to talk about how rudder use will change when slowing in both directions (yours says torque, but it’s all of the left turning tendencies, not just torque, right? :) )

Okay here’s a more advance concept. Remember it’s instruction.

When you read a set of instructions to assemble your IKEA furniture does it say stuff like “accuracy”, or “performance”?

Nope. (Maybe a bad example, but think of an instruction sheet.)

After some coaching from an instructor and DPE around here locally, I replace the line you have there that says “coordination” at the beginning of it, with specific instructions for the student.

“Coordination” is meaningless as an instruction in a loud cockpit.
“Ball centered” is the clear concise way to remind them about it. If they’ve forgotten how for some silly reason, “STEP on the ball.”

“Orientation” would be replaced with “Note/Bug Heading or Landmark”. Tell them HOW to stay oriented. Specifically. Teach them how to “cheat” too... “Use a cardinal heading if you can... why make it harder on yourself?”

“Planning”. Planning what? Already covered in the ground lesson. We’re planning to do a Chandelle the FAA way. ;) Dump it.

“Accuracy”. Already covered by the notes on the maneuver requirements. Entry altitude and speed. Bank angles. 180 degree turn. Just above stall. No altitude loss. You already have those on your card. Dump it.

The card looks fine. It’s thinking hard about what’s on them that really helps.

The last part here about simplifying is from a local instructor and DPE who presses CFI candidates to think about exactly what they’ll be saying, not copying words from the textbooks like “Accuracy”.

“Accuracy at exactly WHAT?!”, he will bark... acting like a frustrated student, if he has to ask you a third time. LOL.

Think about the literal step by step instructions your instructor gave in the cockpit the very first time you did a chandelle...

Pull. Roll. Push (power up). Maintain. Step. Roll. Pull. — Action verbs.

Ten degrees, thirty degrees, full, on the ball, slowly, harder. — Descriptive/measurement words about the verbs.

What you want your pilot (or even better non-pilot) buddy to do is sit there and play absolutely stupid. If you use a word you haven’t defined, they should act confused and look at you funny.

Also think about the words themselves. “Add power” means something to you and I after a couple hundred hours.

There once was a time when we would have looked over funny at the instructor. HOW do I do THAT?!?

“PUSH. THROTTLE. FORWARD.”

It really is baby talk sometimes. Simplify. Concise. Verb + Description or measurement.

I tried to write the specific instruction words on my cards to keep me in “instruction” mode in my head, not “textbook” mode.

Interesting isn’t it? All sorts of things to think about.

Can get even weirder. Is “Push” okay for both the yoke and the throttle? When someone overloaded hears “push” from you, which are they likely to do first? Did you just confuse them? :)

All sorts of fun stuff to think about.

Never tell someone to “Cheer up” after a rough flight while the airplane is still rolling out. :) :) :) (They’re going to hear “Gear UP!...) hahaha.

I recently took the CFI-Initial with Greensboro FSDO. I submitted a request to schedule the checkride and an examiner contacted me within a few days. He had a pretty busy schedule but we were able to get it done within two weeks or so.

Back