clicky mixture thingy

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
watching @Radar Contact / 310 pilot's latest youtube cinematic masterpiece, I see the mixture lever (hereby referred to as a 'thingy') is clicky. 1) why and 2) any other planes with clicky mixture thingies? what's da deal, yo?

watching @Radar Contact / 310 pilot's latest youtube cinematic masterpiece, I see the mixture lever (hereby referred to as a 'thingy') is clicky. 1) why and 2) any other planes with clicky mixture thingies? what's da deal, yo?

I've only seen it on Twin Cessnas, but they all have it from the first 310 onward (not sure if that extends to the T-50, probably not). Not sure why Cessna did that, but they did. Maybe the theory was to keep the mixtures in check on them big engines and not slip into dangerous territory if the friction lock was too loose. The reality is it just makes it damn near impossible to get the exact mixture setting you want.

1) not sure
2) not sure

I do know that I am a fan of it. Each click is a mini indent and feels good for some strange reason. Maybe with the vibrations from flight it helps keep the mixture where you set it? That combined with the friction adjustment. As @Ted DuPuis alluded to, you have to figure out the science of half clicking it to get it just OCD right. :)

And thanks for the kind words @eman1200 but that was far from a cinematic masterpiece. Felt like it was one of my roughest videos. Lesson learned about having your audio adapter plugged into a 6 year old's headset jack. He managed to unplug it twice fully and once partially. Made for choppy editing and no sound on both landings. Which considering the last landing was my worst in over a decade is probably a good thing because I'm sure I said a few choice words....yes kids present and all. I actually bounced a twin cessna...that takes a special kind of screw up. At least the kids were excited to touch a cloud.

If anyone is curious about what he's talking about, watch the first 2 min of this and you can hear the clicky thingy he's referencing.

Last edited:
DA40 mixture lever is also clicky. I'm not a fan.

*click*. A little leaner and a little smoother and a little better. *click* More better. *click* More more better. *click* BURBLE GROAN SPUTTER OMG ARE WE GOING TO DIE????!?

I've only seen it on Twin Cessnas, but they all have it from the first 310 onward (not sure if that extends to the T-50, probably not). Not sure why Cessna did that, but they did. Maybe the theory was to keep the mixtures in check on them big engines and not slip into dangerous territory if the friction lock was too loose. The reality is it just makes it damn near impossible to get the exact mixture setting you want.

Try dialing in a big bore Piper. The mixture lever is almost impossible to get dialed in where you want it. 1-2mm can be a half a gallon.

Try dialing in a big bore Piper. The mixture lever is almost impossible to get dialed in where you want it. 1-2mm can be a half a gallon.

I’ve got a few hundred hours in Navajos. The issue there is largely the turbo controller that Lycoming uses, which is very sensitive in the cruise range. However I still found those just fine.

I didn’t have any issues in the 1000 hours in the Aztec dialing those engines in LoP.

Mine had a 'clicky' one. Little WD40 fixed er rite up. Nah. I've never seen one. Seems like a good idea. Should prevent 'creep.' I'm assumin that's the point of them

1) not sure
2) not sure

I do know that I am a fan of it. Each click is a mini indent and feels good for some strange reason. Maybe with the vibrations from flight it helps keep the mixture where you set it? That combined with the friction adjustment. As @Ted DuPuis alluded to, you have to figure out the science of half clicking it to get it just OCD right. :)

And thanks for the kind words @eman1200 but that was far from a cinematic masterpiece. Felt like it was one of my roughest videos. Lesson learned about having your audio adapter plugged into a 6 year old's headset jack. He managed to unplug it twice fully and once partially. Made for choppy editing and no sound on both landings. Which considering the last landing was my worst in over a decade is probably a good thing because I'm sure I said a few choice words....yes kids present and all. I actually bounced a twin cessna...that takes a special kind of screw up. At least the kids were excited to touch a cloud.

If anyone is curious about what he's talking about, watch the first 2 min of this and you can hear the clicky thingy he's referencing.

Nice job as always... Keep up the great work...:thumbsup: Btw, glad no one saw Friday’s landing on my end and if the wife tells anyone i’m Saying it didn’t happen...:yikes:

1) not sure
2) not sure

Appreciate you posting that Kevin, warts and all. Rantoul used to be Chanute AFB, my first tech school as a slick sleeve airman basic going to jet engine mechanic's school. I never got to see the runway though.

Appreciate you posting that Kevin, warts and all. Rantoul used to be Chanute AFB, my first tech school as a slick sleeve airman basic going to jet engine mechanic's school. I never got to see the runway though.

+1. It’s on may bucket list to get back there someday...:yesnod:

Not much to see at Rantoul/Chanute anymore. The museum has been closed since 2015.
@Radar Contact , did your buddy get his windmill parts from Paul’s Windmill & Crane Service? I’ve got an Aemotor I was thinking about having him take a look at. I’d love to tear into it myself but don’t have a way to get it off the tower yet.

+1. It’s on may bucket list to get back there someday...:yesnod:
Thanks guys. I didn't realize they had a tech school there until seeing a lot of comments on my channel of guys saying they went to school there. I'm not sure what it looked like in it's heyday but I'm guessing it's had a sad demise since they BRAC'ed it. The overall feeling of the airport is that it is slowly dying. That said, the FBO (and people there) is very nice with a good small town feel. They told me they are in the process of scrapping all the remaining military planes you can see when I taxied in. Too bad they couldn't keep them as a tribute to what that base used to mean to the Air Force/community.

Not much to see at Rantoul/Chanute anymore. The museum has been closed since 2015.
@Radar Contact , did your buddy get his windmill parts from Paul’s Windmill & Crane Service? I’ve got an Aemotor I was thinking about having him take a look at. I’d love to tear into it myself but don’t have a way to get it off the tower yet.
Brock, I verified with my buddy and he said that's the place. He is very happy with how the windmill turned out and his pricing. Good luck getting your's fixed. We ended up renting a lift (sure you saw it if you watched the video) to get it all repaired. Would have been scary/pretty much impossible without the lift.

Brock, I verified with my buddy and he said that's the place. He is very happy with how the windmill turned out and his pricing. Good luck getting your's fixed. We ended up renting a lift (sure you saw it if you watched the video) to get it all repaired. Would have been scary/pretty much impossible without the lift.
Good to hear. He’s probably around an hour away from me so I imagine I’d have him come take a look at it with his crane truck. I put my 210 pounds on the first step this evening and figured there was no way in hell I was climbing the tower. Oh well, I’ve got a new septic field, bathroom, and driveway to put in before I get to spend $$ on getting the non-essential windmill running again...

I heard from an old timer that taught in the engine shop that they had one hell of an engine test cell at Chanute back in the day. He had some cool stories about the base. Said it was pretty much its own city and a busy place from WWII through the Vietnam War. I’m ashamed I never did get over there and tour the museum before it closed. No excuse since it’s a 30 minute flight from me.

Thanks guys. I didn't realize they had a tech school there until seeing a lot of comments on my channel of guys saying they went to school there. I'm not sure what it looked like in it's heyday but I'm guessing it's had a sad demise since they BRAC'ed it. The overall feeling of the airport is that it is slowly dying. That said, the FBO (and people there) is very nice with a good small town feel. They told me they are in the process of scrapping all the remaining military planes you can see when I taxied in. Too bad they couldn't keep them as a tribute to what that base used to mean to the Air Force/community.

That’s a shame that the airport is dying. That seems to be the case with a lot of places these days. The base I was stationed at in NY state has become the regional airport for the county and a business air park. At least it received a new life.

Back