Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Fagen Fighters WWII Museum
Greatest Generation Celebration
Ray Fagen Memorial Airshow

Saturday, June 16, 2018. Granite Falls, MN

Fagen Fighters WWII Museum is home to a pristine collection of fully operational, active aircraft and vehicles from World War II. Also featured are fine art, bronze sculptures, interactive multimedia displays, and an ever-growing library. The facility is designed as a self guided experience, and gives a rare look into the lives and legacy of the Greatest Generation. Click on the poster below for more information.

image.jpeg

I haven't been to the air show, but I hear from friends who have been there that they really beat up the sky with Warbirds.
I have seen the museum a few years ago and it's well worth the visit.

This was going to be our first family trip to Fagen Fighters and was wanting to see them fly the P-38....I have never seen one flying or static. This was our #1 local fly in choice for the summer.

But it's TSTORMS all morning both here and there. This afternoon they might get a window to fly (I hope they do)..but it's gonna be like 15G26 at our return and thats a 70deg crosswind not to mention about +95F, humid and TS predicted again starting around 330pm when we would leave...please wx God's what ridiculous offering do I need to make :mad:

This was going to be our first family trip to Fagen Fighters and was wanting to see them fly the P-38....I have never seen one flying or static. This was our #1 local fly in choice for the summer.

But it's TSTORMS all morning both here and there. This afternoon they might get a window to fly (I hope they do)..but it's gonna be like 15G26 at our return and thats a 70deg crosswind not to mention about +95F, humid and TS predicted again starting around 330pm when we would leave...please wx God's what ridiculous offering do I need to make :mad:

An alternator

To make it even worse, on the way driving out to the airport to just stare at the airplane and fantasize about flying...a flight of 3 T6's fly right over ahead about 1500ft above HWY212 following the highway and staying below the winds. Was fun watching them though!

Thanks for sharing....dang is that thing sweeet :) I wonder how many still fly?

I hope they got in their airshow this afternoon. Things cleared up, but winds also kicked up.

While I was at the airport it was OC 10000, winds 190@6kts. Hmmm..maybe can fly? Quick called the AWOS about half way between my base the Granite Falls airshow: "Winds 190 at 21kts gusting 36kts..." I hung up there and scrubbed off bugs :)

Here's a list of P-38 survivors.
http://p38assn.org/surviving.htm

A little info on triple-ace Brigadier General Robin Olds, who piloted Scat III in WWII and also flew F4's in Viet Nam.
http://www.crazyhorseap.be/Mustangs/Aces/Robin Olds/RobinOlds1.htm

Here's Robin Olds biography, written by him and his daughter, "Fighter Pilot".
It's a good book covering his whole career and some of his personal life, he was married to Ella Raines, the movie star.
https://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Pilot-Memoirs-Legendary-Robin-ebook/dp/B003FQM306

51ovKlSacSL__SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So did they end up doing the airshow yesterday? I did take advantage of the weather window we had in the afternoon yesterday and flew from KOTG (Worthington) to Y49 (Walker). We flew within about 12 miles of Granite Falls. There was a little radio traffic around Granite, but very little.

We flew VFR, started out at 3500, but with the breaks in the clouds decided to go up to 5500. Most of the way sky's were broken or scattered at about 4000. Actually turned out to be a very nice VFR flight, smooth and fast.

Back