TRSA on Garmin Pilot

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
On my Garmin Pilot software I am unsure how to look up the frequency for a TRSA when the sectional chart says "See Twr Freq Tab". On a paper chart I know where to find this, but I don't know where it is in the electronic format. I realize that I can look up the approach frequencies from the primary class D airport, but that seems to be a roundabout way. Clicking on the airspace rings brings up nothing. May be that is not all that weird because it is not really a separate airspace (but I am still surprised that nothing came up). I also checked skyvector.com and ran into the same problem. I am specifically referred to the KAZO TRSA. I know what a TRSA is, so that is not my question.

I see what you mean. If you are asking how to know which frequency to use based on direction you are arriving from, I see two ways. First, find an outlier airport in your approximate path and see which frequency they have listed for departure or arrival. Second, go all the way to AFD page for the primary airport, and that explicitly tells you what frequency to use based on bearing from airport. I don't see a more direct way to do it. I am on GP on iPad, BTW.

Click on the airport, then frequency. You should pull up all the approach and departure frequencies there.

On my Garmin Pilot software I am unsure how to look up the frequency for a TRSA when the sectional chart says "See Twr Freq Tab". On a paper chart I know where to find this, but I don't know where it is in the electronic format. I realize that I can look up the approach frequencies from the primary class D airport, but that seems to be a roundabout way. Clicking on the airspace rings brings up nothing. May be that is not all that weird because it is not really a separate airspace (but I am still surprised that nothing came up). I also checked skyvector.com and ran into the same problem. I am specifically referred to the KAZO TRSA. I know what a TRSA is, so that is not my question.

that's the closest trsa to my home field

but you're better off just tuning in atis

FWIW, Foreflite doesn’t either. Unless they, or Garmin or whatever other apps there are, take the time to go find out the ‘sectorization’ at all the Approach Controls I wouldn’t expect your going to ever see the Freq’s displayed on the their maps like they are on B’s and C’s

Last edited:
ForeFlight has a setting for "map touch action," one of the options being to bring the chart to the front with legends. When you tap on an open area in the chart with that setting turned on, it shows the entire sectional you are looking at over the top of any sections it was stitched together with, and the legends will be included. So, for example, tapping on the Minneapolis sectional and then moving the map over to about KLEM, you get the sectional legend information that includes the Fargo TRSA frequency of 120.4.

I don't know if Garmin Pilot has a similar feature. For what it's worth, I don't use it because it's too hard to tap on an open area of the map rather than hitting an airport, intersection, airway, or other piece of data that it will want to pop up for me. And if I want to know the approach frequency, I can just tap on the airport and scroll a bit to Other Frequencies and find it.

Click on the airport, then frequency. You should pull up all the approach and departure frequencies there.
Just tried this on GP. Three taps and you're on the frequencies listing. But the 3 shared app/dep frequencies are listed with no preferred bearings. Seems the could have shown that rather easily in the list. I don't see any way to do it graphically though.

Back