Garmin Aera vs iPad/FF

Slipperhead

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Slipperhead
I'm a new pilot (65 hours) and am currently renting from two different sources locally until I decide upon ownership/club/etc. I'd like a portable solution for aviation apps that I can easily take with me. I've read a LOT about the iPad/Foreflight option on this forum and it seems generally well-received. I know about the different sizes of iPads, wifi, cellular GPS... How would it compare to something like the Garmin Aera 796? Both are subscription weather/ADS-B capable.
Thoughts?
Thx in advance,
Garland in VA

my only thought is the size of the 796, it's pretty beefy compared to a lil ipad.

The 796 is a nice unit ,if you have the room for it.i use an IPad and ForeFlight / stratus. Fits in my cockpit better.

If you already have a tablet try out one or two of the free pilot apps first. FltPlan Go or WingX are worth a try as examples.

FF or a Garmin anything are hefty ways to start and contain functionality way beyond what you likely need at this stage (but you are paying for).

Here's a article link from about a year ago on some aviation applications for tablets:
https://ipadpilotnews.com/2017/08/top-20-apps-pilots/

It would be killer if somoene had the sense to integrate an ADS-B receiver into something like an Aera 660.

It would be killer if somoene had the sense to integrate an ADS-B receiver into something like an Aera 660.

Looks like Garmin is already "killer."

Weather and Traffic Without Wires
Using Bluetooth® connectivity via Garmin Connext technology, the aera 660 easily interfaces with compatible devices to cut the clutter in your cockpit and improve your flying experience. With a Garmin GDL® 52 portable ADS-B/SiriusXM® receiver or GTX 345 all-in-one ADS-B transponder, you can access and display ADS-B subscription-free weather¹ and advanced traffic alerts, including TargetTrendTM relative motion tracking and TerminalTrafficTM, so you’re aware of potential conflicts in busy terminal airspace. It even allows wireless control of Garmin VIRB® action cameras to start and stop recording and capture photos.

That's not an integrated receiver.

Thanks for that link! I've looked at that one (all IOS apps) and a few others this morning. It looks like most of the top flight apps are indeed Apple-based. Although I have a Samsung phone, I'm not excited about running phone-based apps on a small screen. Perhaps an iPad is in my near-future.

So which would you recommend?

9.7" with 125gb, or
10.5 with 256gb

Should I go with the "cellular"-equipped iPad or go with an external GPS or Stratus, etc.?

The 32G 9.7" with cellular is priced pretty well relative to a refurbed 32G mini 4...

With your particular situation I would definitely opt for the Ipad / FF solution. Or if you're not already hooked on a particular app you may want to try some of the others like FlyQ. Foreflight is an awesome app (it's my choice) but it does come at a higher price. Arguing whether it's worth the premium is kinda like Ford Chevy. Let's just don't go there.

Anyway, you'll find a tablet + app to be much more versatile than the Aera gps (which are great in their own way).

If you decide to go the Ipad + FF route the last decision is on the receiver. If you simply want gps location then the tablet may have that built in (if cellular). Most don't. If you just want gps location then a simply Bad Elf Pro for ~$100 works awesome. I personally have a Stratus 2 which is on the other end of the spectrum and includes ads-b + AHRS (attitude reference).

I also have ADS-B wx/ traffic built in with my panel / transponder so the Stratus is a backup in my plane.

For me, I enjoy using the iPad for the operations the OP mentioned.

The dedicated Garmin devices do a good job. But I prefer the "multi-tasker" operation of the iPad for things beyond aviation use.

If you get a ipad get the new PRO... I have the PRO 10.5. It has a nice antiglare screed that you can see in sunlight. My old ipad mini was horrible.
I like the 696 better than the 796 if you go that route...
I have both the ipad and 696...

Cellular iPad with the largest capacity. ForeFlight. I hesitated to buy the $99 app (was trying to be cheap). Boy I sure wish I would have purchased earlier. It makes trip planning much easier. I actually tracked a flight on a commercial airliner from Florida to Kansas. works great even at 469kts.

I love my 660. Synthetic vision, maps, weather, terrain. Perfect robust unit for what I need. I don't have to mess around with clutter and other things like I would with an ipad.

Reactions: 5QK
I prefer Android tablets to the iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Tab I had previously lasted longer (bigger battery) and held up to the sun and heat better than my iPad.
If you have an existing Android phone; you would likely be comfortable using an Android tablet.
In any case, with only 65 hours, I doubt I would spend the money on either solution. Determine a little more about your mission and requirements first.
If it is simple reviewing charts, any phone/tablet will work and use fltplan.com with the free client. You can pretty much download anything you need for the free version.

Tim

I love my 660. Synthetic vision, maps, weather, terrain. Perfect robust unit for what I need. I don't have to mess around with clutter and other things like I would with an ipad.

The Aera is missing glide rings, IFR support, airways, and not suitable for planning phases. But it makes a cheap MFD.

Love my iPad mini with Garmin Pilot, used it since I started my private training, will never fly without it anymore now. I also have an iPad Pro 10.7 but feel it’s a little to large, to keep in my lap, considering buying a ram suction mount or pivot mount for it right now.

I considered a Garmin Area but Garmin Pilot has the same functionality if not more and the Area is heavier/bigger. Also use a GDL52 with SiriusXM with it and really enjoy it.

ah, you're looking for an all-in-one portable, rather than an integrated pair of devices.

But even them ForeFlight portables need a coupled (or as I would say, integrated) device.

Load foreflight, WingX, or whatever on your phone. The graphics are big enough and it won't cost you another $300-$1,000. Spend $125 on a Stratux and you've got in-flight weather.

FYI, I've found dedicated aviation GPS's to be far superior to ithingies or androidthingies from a reliability standpoint.

I’d avoid an older mini with ForeFlight, which is getting bigger and slower by the day. My older mini frequently froze or “paused” which is not something you need happening. Sold it and sticking with my full sized version. My older eyes enjoy the larger screen but it is in the way a tad more mounted on my center yoke.

I’ve had Garmin GPS boxes since they released the GPS 90. I have an Aera in a gizmo dock in my Cessna. I have a G3X Touch in my Cub. I have a little experience with Garmin products and my favorite one when flying is an iPad or iPhone running Garmin Pilot. Especially with ADHRS. Foreflight’s good, too. In both cases they’re way more user friendly and intuitive to use, and when you’re in a stressful situation in the cockpit? That matters. Other advantages include automatic updates, keep track of weather trends, check other aviation and non-aviation resources, and when not flying? You have an iPad.

I don't think the Garmin portables qualify as EFBs, do they? If not, that really narrows the field.

The Aera is good for one thing: Aviation.

The iPad can be used for darn near anything, and is much more easily resold if you change your mind.

Back