• Dynon HDX with Dynon AP

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! I would really like to put an auto-pilot in my airplane this summer. The poll options in this thread seem to be the hot runners at this time. There are pros and cons to each of the options.

Garmin G5s with GFC500 AP - Unfortunately Garmin does not have my airplane on the GFC500 STC yet. So if I were to go this route I would have to wait and see when or if they add my airplane to the STC list. Considering that all of my radio stack is Garmin except for the audio panel which is a PS Eng 8000BT, going the Garmin route would keep my plane pretty much in the Garmin family. Another negative is that the G5s have limited 'glass panel' functionality and can't be upgraded to add additional functionality like the Aspen E5.

Aspen E5 with TruTrak AP - This is available right now for my aircraft. The guys on the Piper forum are saying good things about the TruTrak auto-pilot but I still think it is a little early in the game to say this is a good way to go. The new Aspen E5 is supposed to have new hardware with a brighter and higher resolution display. The guys that have the Aspen glass seem to like them. The E5 is software upgradeable to the Evolution Pro version and has a synthetic vision option available too. Although the E5 is upgradable, the software upgrade prices seem crazy expensive to me and probably not worth the cost.

Dynon HDX with Dynon AP - I really like the HDX system. To me it is a true glass panel display with a good sized screen. It also comes standard with the navigation maps and synthetic vision...no expensive upgrades. I have heard so little talk about their auto-pilot that I don't know how to evaluate it against the Garmin and TruTrak APs. The Dynon system is not approved for my airplane yet and the installation locations are limited to only three locations, none of which are anywhere close to me. Like the Garmin GFC500, it would be a wait and see game as to when and if my airplane gets added to their STC list. I imagine over time they will expand the installation network, but again, that is another wait and see situation.

I thought it would be neat to have a thread where all three of these options could be discussed and not just for my airplane. You guys may know of other pros and cons that I'm not aware of. I imagine it will be around July or August before I attempt to pull the trigger on anything and I'm really trying to do my homework now so that I can make the best informed decision possible. The best decision may be to exercise patience and just see how things fall out with the STCs and install costs. A lot can change in six months to a year.

The Dynon HDX with Autopilot, ADS-B in and out, engine instrumentation, AI & HSI sure sounds good to me. The unit is 16K UNINSTALLED. Spoke with them and they said it will be certified for the PA 28's soon.
Is that an Archer in your avatar?

I thought it would be neat to have a thread where all three of these options could be discussed and not just for my airplane.

Honestly we’ve already been doing that in a number of the threads, no matter what they’re named. So just in case you skipped over them because they said Garmin or Dynon or Aspen in the title, go back and read them.

And boatload of popcorn have been consumed in the name of these brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the PA28RT-201T will be added?

Hey Mick - any update on your autopilot search for your PA28-140? I'm in the same boat....

In that list they have all of the Cherokees listed except for the 140. I wonder if that is a typo oversight or is the 140 really not being STC'ed with the other PA28s. Doesn't make much sense to me not to include the 140 in the PA28 group.

The Arrow hasn't gotten the STC yet either, but I'd imagine it will. Especially since more of those are probably going to end up becoming personal aircraft with the ACS changes. They are supposed to be STCing Mooneys soon as well .

On the Dynon...you'd need an IFR-approved, approach certified GPS to fly GPS approaches, right? The HDX, being not certified, can't do that alone is my understanding. Do you already have that?

On the Dynon...you'd need an IFR-approved, approach certified GPS to fly GPS approaches, right? The HDX, being not certified, can't do that alone is my understanding. Do you already have that?

Correct. Just like any other avionics suite, certified equipment is required for IFR approaches. Some go with a NAV or NAV/Com radio to be legal for filing while those with deeper pockets equip with Garmin, Avidyne, etc. WAAS GPS equipment. These require an ARINC 429 box to translate Garmin (not sure about Avidyne) to the Dynon and other auto-pilots.

For example, a Dynon setup with a Garmin 430W, along with the Dynon 2020 WAAS GPS would provide the ability for VOR/ILS approaches, GPS approaches and a fall back GPS (should the 430W fail) for navigation.

I have the Dynon Skyview 1000T (now deemed their legacy EFIS) dual screens, dual AD-AHRS and dual EFIS backup batteries in my RV-7A and really love the functionality of everything, including the auto-pilot. I don't yet have an IFR navigator and, like many others, am trying to decide which approach to use (pun intended).

Last edited:
Right now, my plan is Garmin G5s and a Trutrak, they don't play together but I don't care.

The trutrak could be a long ways away from now as my current Brittain autopilot is working fine.

Right now, my plan is Garmin G5s and a Trutrak, they don't play together but I don't care.

The trutrak could be a long ways away from now as my current Brittain autopilot is working fine.

You raise another point of consideration (decisions, decisions...). Go with an integrated system that requires the EFIS for AP control (e.g. Dynon or Garmin, depending on options) or go with separate systems. I chose the integrated route with several points of redundancy but many others prefer having their AP control external to the EFIS with its own controls.

Last edited:
I am reasonably certain Aspen and Garmin will be supporting their propucts in 10 years. Dynon would be a concern.

I'd wait for the sky view to come out for your plane.

I am reasonably certain Aspen and Garmin will be supporting their propucts in 10 years. Dynon would be a concern.

Dynon may be new to the certified market, but they've been a large player in the experimental market for nearly 20 years. They're not a new company.

I vote Mooney or Bonanza.

I suspect that the purchase and installation of any autopilot system will approach if not exceed the value of the Cherokee 140 in which its installed.

I suspect that the purchase and installation of any autopilot system will approach if not exceed the value of the Cherokee 140 in which its installed.

I wanted to say this but didn’t want to be rude haha

Dynon may be new to the certified market, but they've been a large player in the experimental market for nearly 20 years. They're not a new company.

You are correct, but they are small potatoes that can easily be acquired by another company and their products no longer supported. But whoever might purchase them will give you a trade in offer to upgrade to their product.

You are correct, but they are small potatoes that can easily be acquired by another company and their products no longer supported. But whoever might purchase them will give you a trade in offer to upgrade to their product.

They've been around long enough that I'm not really any more worried about support than anyone else.

The question really is: "Is the future GA market going to be large enough to support "Garmin + 3" (I am including Avidyne along with the above)? Or is it going to be Garmin + Also Ran?

I wanted to say this but didn’t want to be rude haha

Not with the TruTrak!! $5K plus install. It's a perfect fit for a Cherokee 140. You'll need a GPS to use the TruTrak properly, but it can be a handheld. If I had a Cherokee 140, I'd buy the TruTrak for it in a heartbeat.

Same for the Cessna 172s but Dynon did it anyway. The value of the equipment can't always be measured in dollars. Lots of safety related items come with the Skyview system, including AOA. That said, I wonder how many STCs will be sold for the 30k and under airplane market. Maybe that is why they plan to go for the Beech twin next?

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! I would really like to put an auto-pilot in my airplane this summer. The poll options in this thread seem to be the hot runners at this time. There are pros and cons to each of the options.

Depends upon what you have in your panel right now.

The more you need the more the Dynon solution makes sense. The less you need the less the Dynon solution makes sense.

If all you need is an AP, and maybe a HSI to go with it, then G5 and GFC500. If you need an AP and engine monitoring and your instruments are old, then Dynon really starts making sense.

Depends upon what you have in your panel right now.

The more you need the more the Dynon solution makes sense. The less you need the less the Dynon solution makes sense.

If all you need is an AP, and maybe a HSI to go with it, then G5 and GFC500. If you need an AP and engine monitoring and your instruments are old, then Dynon really starts making sense.
yes....yes it does. My next dream.....:confused:

Hey Mick - any update on your autopilot search for your PA28-140? I'm in the same boat....
Not at this time. My airplane is in for annual inspection right now. I will at least wait until after Oshkosh to see if there are any new developments in this area before deciding on anything.

I have a Garmin GTN650 in my panel. Not a problem for me.

Thats really not relative if you plan on keeping the plane for 10 years or so. If you are expecting to flip the plane in a short time period for a profit we all know that's not going to happen. If you are planning to fly the plane for 10 years or so, you will get the value of having the auto-pilot. I look at it as a depreciation cost over that extended time frame. It will make the plane more desirable for a buyer and easier to sell in the future when I am no longer able to fly.

Not with the TruTrak!! $5K plus install. It's a perfect fit for a Cherokee 140. You'll need a GPS to use the TruTrak properly, but it can be a handheld. If I had a Cherokee 140, I'd buy the TruTrak for it in a heartbeat.
+1 What he said.

If Aspen doesn't come out with a compelling new product by Oshkosh this year, they will not be around in 10 years to support their products.

Thats really not relative if you plan on keeping the plane for 10 years or so. If you are expecting to flip the plane in a short time period for a profit we all know that's not going to happen. If you are planning to fly the plane for 10 years or so, you will get the value of having the auto-pilot. I look at it as a depreciation cost over that extended time frame. It will make the plane more desirable for a buyer and easier to sell in the future when I am no longer able to fly.

Everyone has a different opinion and outlook. If it was me I would sell the plane and put the extra autopilot cash with the cash you got for the plane. Then you could upgrade to something that already has a autopilot.
I take it you are making long trips if you want a autopilot. Faster is better for traveling...
I know some guys that put $75,000 worth of avionics in a $30,000 plane. Kinda crazy!
I am never upside down on anything I own.
You could buy a nice Super Viking for the 140 and autopilot money and be 190 mph

Everyone has a different opinion and outlook. If it was me I would sell the plane and put the extra autopilot cash with the cash you got for the plane. Then you could upgrade to something that already has a autopilot.
I take it you are making long trips if you want a autopilot. Faster is better for traveling...
I know some guys that put $75,000 worth of avionics in a $30,000 plane. Kinda crazy!
You could buy a nice Super Viking for the 140 and autopilot money and be 190 mph

True on all counts. On the other hand, switching to a new airplane also has costs - Sales tax, escrow, prebuy inspection, the dreaded first annual, bringing various things up to your own maintenance standards... And some people like to fly slow and still go somewhere sometimes.

These new cheaper autopilots like the GFC500 are a real game changer.

The Dynon HDX with Autopilot, ADS-B in and out, engine instrumentation, AI & HSI sure sounds good to me. The unit is 16K UNINSTALLED. Spoke with them and they said it will be certified for the PA 28's soon.
Is that an Archer in your avatar?

That.

Not even a question.

Back