I want a new app...or iPhone feature...and still hate calls

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
I am admittedly an iThingy lemming and all of my devices are interconnected...so when I am sitting at my laptop for example my laptop pops up a notification that I have an incoming call on my overpriced iPhone...even though I am sitting right next to both.

Well, in this day and age of robo and spam call and my number being tied to my business in too many ways...I just no longer answer any unknown numbers (unless I am expecting a call from a certain area). 95% of the time they are spam.

One thing I will do is quickly google the # while it is still ringing...and once in a while it will be a know entity and I can sometimes till answer in time.

Developer opportunity for someone...when an incoming call rings and it is detected by the laptop, pop up a Google search page of that #. Sad that is the state of phone calls today but it has become reality on my world.

In a win system that could be done easy enough from the cmd line or batch file.

There are a lot of phone apps that do phone number lookups. Check out TrueCaller for one.

I almost never answer a call from a number I do not recognize. I believe if the call is legitimate and important, they will leave a message. I also add practically every number that I’m willing to receive calls from to my contacts. Now, when I do get an unknown caller with no message and I google it, with rare exception it has been identified by others as telemarketing, robo caller, etc.

One thing I will do is quickly google the # while it is still ringing...

What information will google provide.??

My caller ID shows me the number as well as the name of the caller or business and the state and town the call is coming from. Sometimes it comes up spam, possible spam or robo call. But it doesn't catch it every time.

If it comes up restricted I won't answer. And I can block specific numbers.

In a win system that could be done easy enough from the cmd line or batch file.

Except that he's talking about a Mac-specific feature that rings calls on all devices in range. Don't think Apple is doing any pop-ups or voice calls from Win desktops via iPhones... unless they've added something.

I can do what he wants with a triggered script on our Avaya One-X client at work, but I don't think he wants to spend $15,000 on his home phone system. :) :) :)

What information will google provide.?

My caller ID will make a suggestion if the # has appeared in my email or contacts, but that is all I get. It will give me city but spam call spoofing of common numbers you deal with is also a huge problem, so that is not of help.

Google often time provides links that tie it to a specific business that I may recognize and then answer...and just as often flags it as a know spam # which I then know to bump. Just an easy step to take some of the guess work whether to answer or not.

...and no, I want a FREE app...not a $15K developed solution!

You might be able to create an Automator action on macOS to do what you want, but not sure if that will work. I just turned off call forwarding to my Mac, so that calls no longer show up there. I use Hiya on the iPhone, which does a decent job of identifying bogus callers, and no need to look them up through Google.

Back