Completed my dual xc requirements yesterday

Daniel L

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
Well I'm proud of myself. He had little to say throughout the trip. On the way back we did a diversion to another airport to get that part of training done. I was rather proud of myself in identifying the area, descending... He gave me nothing to work with so I flew over the midfield, saw the wind sock, and entered the pattern on a teardrop. He was pleased.

It so happens that this airport is the location for my upcoming written. I plan on flying over to it since it's an hour drive but a seven minute flight from home base (there's no direct route there by road).

It was quite fun. Also, we were burning up at 36C yesterday so it was nice to climb over the heat and enjoy some cool air at 6500MSL. IIRC, it was about 20C.

He effectively said that I'm free to do my solo hours at my own whim so I go out again on Saturday to start my solo XC requirements. He won't be in town.

He effectively said that I'm free to do my solo hours at my own whim so I go out again on Saturday to start my solo XC requirements. He won't be in town.

o_O Are you sure your CFI meant that for solo XCs?

Indeed he endorsed me for solo xc. In the interest in levity I didn't cover every aspect of the debrief. And of course, he scheduled me to rent his plane for Saturday.

Last edited:
Will your CFI review your planning for each solo XC is what I meant?

knowing him yes. What are you getting at?

knowing him yes. What are you getting at?

The issue here and the concern from those who have posted is that your CFI (or another CFI he trusts/recommends/approves) will almost certainly want to review your flight plan and the weather either right before you go or within a short period before you go (as in not the day before, but the day of). Your CFI will also want to make sure there's a plan in place in case you land at one of your airports a ways away and get stuck because of unexpected weather or the plane breaks or you decide you shouldn't take off for any number of reasons.

I don't think there's a requirement to do this under part 61, but most if not all 141 schools will require this before you actually climb in the plane for each of your solo XCs. And besides, that's just darn good sense. The in-person sit down to review this stuff with you is also an opportunity for the CFI to see/hear where your head is at and either calm your nerves or bring your confidence into check to ensure you're mentally good to go. Obviously your CFI trusts you enough to have given the endorsement and knows you're technically ready, but everybody reacts differently to that first solo flight that will take you somewhere else and last more than a couple hours.

Regardless, great accomplishment and best of luck!

Flight went very well. Turned out my cfi was home due to a rescheduling. I brought lunch and we discussed my nav log while eating next to his pool. He was satisfied with it and I left.

It was a glorious day. Nailed my waypoints. There were a ton of boats out on Saturday.

Incidentally he had a smile the whole time while listening to the stream and his wife kept reacting whenever she heard me communicate with the controllers.

He wanted me to do some pattern work at my destination but the turbulence was a bit beyond my comfort zone at this stage. I had a great landing but it was hard earned. He liked that I practiced my personal minimums.

The return flight was bumpier. I oiverflew the field to check the windsock. Variable as hell.

I had a serious blast. A smile was on my face the rest of the day.

They had pizza and beer to celebrate when I returned for my debrief.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Will your CFI review your planning for each solo XC is what I meant?
The issue here and the concern from those who have posted is that your CFI (or another CFI he trusts/recommends/approves) will almost certainly want to review your flight plan and the weather either right before you go or within a short period before you go (as in not the day before, but the day of). Your CFI will also want to make sure there's a plan in place in case you land at one of your airports a ways away and get stuck because of unexpected weather or the plane breaks or you decide you shouldn't take off for any number of reasons.

I don't think there's a requirement to do this under part 61, but most if not all 141 schools will require this before you actually climb in the plane for each of your solo XCs. And besides, that's just darn good sense. The in-person sit down to review this stuff with you is also an opportunity for the CFI to see/hear where your head is at and either calm your nerves or bring your confidence into check to ensure you're mentally good to go. Obviously your CFI trusts you enough to have given the endorsement and knows you're technically ready, but everybody reacts differently to that first solo flight that will take you somewhere else and last more than a couple hours.

Regardless, great accomplishment and best of luck!

Should? 61.93 requires

Passed my written yesterday. Woot

Ceremoniously tore my study guide to shreds.

Sent from my Blackberry

Back