Pre-Takeoff Brief

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I’ve developed a habit over the past couple of years that I be sure to perform before every takeoff. Just after my run up is complete, I’ll brief myself the plan of action that I’ll take if I have an engine failure during the takeoff roll, just after liftoff and above 1,000’. It goes something like this,

‘If I experience an engine failure during the takeoff roll, I’ll pull the power to idle and brake straight ahead.’

‘If I experience an engine failure just after takeoff and no usable runway is available, I have 30deg left and 30deg right to execute a forced landing.’

‘If I experience an engine failure above 1,000’ and a 90deg turn back can safely be made for the departure runway, I’ll fly Best Glide if necessary and/or practicable and make the runway.’

I’m sure some of this sounds a bit corny, but I feel like having it all at the back of your mind and ready and being familiar with the terrain around the airport, is crucial to making a safe outcome if something were to go haywire. Often times I’ll also tell myself just as I break ground that the engine is going to quit and be ready. An engine failure just after takeoff is one of the scenarios that I caution against the most. I always approach each flight as though something is going to go wrong and then just be happy when it doesn’t.

Anyone else have any pre-takeoff rituals that they go through? Pat the spinner? Light a stogie? Drink a beer? Or brief your takeoff?

Last edited:
I used to have a brief when flying twin Cessnas. Speaking to the engines, this would be made just prior to departure:

“Okay you motherf***ers, I just need you to stay running for the next couple of minutes. Think you can do that? Good - let’s go.”

:)

Yes....I do it every time as well. I use the emergency checklist, read it aloud and touch each item such as the fuel cut off, door release and gear switch as I read it.

Your idea is sound.

Often I need to remind myself of the good straight ahead options so I'm not in any way tempted to try "the impossible turn."

Leaving my home drome there is a good straight road parallel to the runway that has no wires on either side and I'd rather put down on that road then turn.

When I go to an unfamiliar field I look around while landing to decide what I'd do if something went wonky on the way out.

More than one of my instructors over the years mandated a pre-takeoff briefing... and if you watch any videos or training of pro crews, they're doing it also... so it's a decent habit to get into.

Might add "runway X is XXXX number of feet long and our predicted runway use today is YYYY".

Very rarely do you hear private pilots go to that level of detail, but you have that info on the TOLD sheet for almost anything pro, especially dual-pilot. (The single pilot guys have it on the departure paperwork also, but they usually don't talk to themselves... hahaha... some do...)

In my own airplane, if the runway is greater than 3000', I'm not going to announce distances, but I always have an abort point in mind... and I get more formal about it if it's going to be a short runway or intersection takeoff...

I used to have a brief when flying twin Cessnas. Speaking to the engines, this would be made just prior to departure:

“Okay you motherf***ers, I just need you to stay running for the next couple of minutes. Think you can do that? Good - let’s go.”

What’s a typical pre-takeoff briefing sound like for you airline geeks?

Might add "runway X is XXXX number of feet long and our predicted runway use today is YYYY".
Good point. I usually have a visual of an aborted takeoff point already queued. At my home drome, I use a point that’s roughly 3/4 of the way down the runway (3,000’). If I’m not off by then, there’s a problem.

These guys aren’t airline, but they’re very consistent on their checklists, briefs, and procedures flying a Gulfstream IV.

(Kinda have to watch a number of them to see how consistent and to catch when they don’t edit it out. Plus everyone needs a good “Vamanos!” as their final go for takeoff. (That’s a joke. John the left seater always says that.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAq7j6lUtIpVU06_Sq1FHw

This guy and the former USAF test pilot he usually flies with are also very consistent but he edits out more of the checklist use and procedures than the other two guys do.

https://www.youtube.com/user/captmoonbeam

This guy also... and he jumps back and forth from single pilot to dual-pilot aircraft at whoever he flies for.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZtQWTcsZDvlO_fyEFkBAag

And Greg who’s a former F-16 driver is very consistent and obviously does things exactly the same way every time, but since he’s single pilot, he doesn’t talk to himself too much and I haven’t heard a lot of takeoff briefings from him. The ones he does say out loud are usually whenever another pilot is on board, and concise and to the point.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gregmink

Hunt around for sim training videos for the airline stuff. Standard call outs, standard briefings, all part of the game. But each airline will do them differently. And they’re usually not briefing an immediate landing straight ahead if they lose an engine, so that’s a big difference.

Pretty close to mine:

"Listen here you overwrought aluminum beer can, if you quit making power I'm going to tear your wings off against that tree/building/streetsign/lightpole."

I wouldn't make black and white rules, I would know your surroundings and google earth it and scout it out before landing.

Different plane but a PC12 will make a 180 to the runway at 500' AGL with plenty of margin.

There’s a departure brief given by the Capt done prior to push back, and a takeoff brief given by the FO during taxi.

Departure brief covers write ups, weather, taxi, emergency plan, verifying all clearances are correct.
Takeoff brief is more a review of speeds, flap setting, power setting....

These guys aren’t airline, but they’re very consistent on their checklists, briefs, and procedures flying a Gulfstream IV.

(Kinda have to watch a number of them to see how consistent and to catch when they don’t edit it out. Plus everyone needs a good “Vamanos!” as their final go for takeoff. (That’s a joke. John the left seater always says that.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAq7j6lUtIpVU06_Sq1FHw

This guy and the former USAF test pilot he usually flies with are also very consistent but he edits out more of the checklist use and procedures than the other two guys do.

https://www.youtube.com/user/captmoonbeam

This guy also... and he jumps back and forth from single pilot to dual-pilot aircraft at whoever he flies for.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZtQWTcsZDvlO_fyEFkBAag

And Greg who’s a former F-16 driver is very consistent and obviously does things exactly the same way every time, but since he’s single pilot, he doesn’t talk to himself too much and I haven’t heard a lot of takeoff briefings from him. The ones he does say out loud are usually whenever another pilot is on board, and concise and to the point.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gregmink

Hunt around for sim training videos for the airline stuff. Standard call outs, standard briefings, all part of the game. But each airline will do them differently. And they’re usually not briefing an immediate landing straight ahead if they lose an engine, so that’s a big difference.

I subscribe to every one of those channels.

I’ve developed a habit over the past couple of years that I be sure to perform before every takeoff. Just after my run up is complete, I’ll brief myself the plan of action that I’ll take if I have an engine failure during the takeoff roll, just after liftoff and above 1,000’. It goes something like this,

‘If I experience an engine failure during the takeoff roll, I’ll pull the power to idle and brake straight ahead.’

‘If I experience an engine failure just after takeoff and no usable runway is available, I have 30deg left and 30deg right to execute a forced landing.’

‘If I experience an engine failure above 1,000’ and a 90deg turn back can safely be made for the departure runway, I’ll fly Best Glide if necessary and/or practicable and make the runway.’

I’m sure some of this sounds a bit corny, but I feel like having it all at the back of your mind and ready and being familiar with the terrain around the airport, is crucial to making a safe outcome if something were to go haywire. Often times I’ll also tell myself just as I break ground that the engine is going to quit and be ready. An engine failure just after takeoff is one of the scenarios that I caution against the most. I always approach each flight as though something is going to go wrong and then just be happy when it doesn’t.

Anyone else have any pre-takeoff rituals that they go through? Pat the spinner? Light a stogie? Drink a beer? Or brief your takeoff?

Ryan, you do something like I always tell myself I should do. Then I get in the plane with and forget all about it. I'll have to add a note to my checklist.

The checklist I use for the club 172 has 'takeoff brief' or something like that on it right at the end before takeoff.

I talk about this in THE COMPLETE MULTIENGINE PILOT, because engine failure in a twin is a whole nuther problem. I call it "constructive paranoia." I have had engine problems in twins on the takeoff roll and passing through 400 feet...and the fact that I was expecting the problems made them non-events.

Bob

I think I just spit coffee on my laptop... too funny.

For good luck, right as the mains lift off the surface, I used to yell..."Yippee Ki Yay.....Mother *****ers"

I stopped because too many passengers complained....
I have a traditional saying of “well, made it back alive again” after shutting off the plane. I don’t think everyone likes it, but I’ll keep saying it anyway.

That's a great habit to get into. In 121 flying briefings are very formal but essentially cover the same things.

I brief every takeoff. Sometimes the brief goes: in event of engine failure expect abundant pain.

Just before I roll, I say "What a beautiful day to die! Er, I mean fly..."

My CFIs always hated that.

Seriously, I do a similar brief to Ryan's, but I add "pop the door" as well.

The ATP PTS specifies certain components of a briefing...
.... the briefing must cover the appropriate items, such as: departure runway, DP/STAR/IAP, power settings, speeds, abnormal or emergency procedures prior to or after reaching decision speed (i.e., V1 or VMC), emergency return intentions, missed approach procedures, FAF, altitude at FAF, initial rate of descent, DA/DH/MDA, time to missed approach, and what is expected of the other crewmembers during the takeoff/DP and approach/landing. If the first takeoff/departure and approach/landing briefings are satisfactory, the examiner may allow the applicant to brief only the changes, during the remainder of the flight.

Our briefings are fairly extensive, but a lot of verbage can be reduced by "standard company calls and procedures."

Generally there are three parts: Crew briefing, which covers CRM/Sterile cockpit, Flight plan verification (correct tail number mainly) MEL/CDL items, WX, notams, Hazmat and if applicable ACM/Courier briefing.

Departure briefing: Runway to be used,TO calculations,TO power settings, Stab trim and flap settings, FMS V speeds, Taxi route, Push and start considerations, Clearance/SID, Terrain, Transition altitude, RTO and engine out procedure, fuel dump and other landing considerations.

Approach and Landing briefing: WX/Notams, runway and approach in use, winds, landing calculations, auto brake setting, target speed/wind considerations, flap setting, thrust reverser use and GA procedures, STAR, MSA, Transition level, auto land/CAT I,II or III, inbound course, IAF/FAF altitude, minimums, threshold crossing height, runway exit, taxi and parking.

Pretty simple right?

We use an acronym called WARTS at my airline. We’ve had it for a while ever since Delta started using it but was just recently mandatory that we follow the WARTS format for briefings.

W - weather/winds
Takeoff mins/alternate
Low vis taxi/takeoff, SMGCD
Cold weather ops
Windshear
A - abnormal procedures/aborts
RTO reason/plan/duties
MEL review
Anticipated threats for the flight
R - runway considerations
Runway length
Surface conditions
T - taxi plan/terrain
Taxi routes/hot spots/runway departure position
Engine start/second engine start
Runway change plan
Terrain
S - SID/DP/special company pages
Automation use
Speed/altitude restrictions
Single engine procedure
Company pages
Flight plan remarks
Airport/SID NOTAMs

We use an acronym called WARTS at my airline. We’ve had it for a while ever since Delta started using it but was just recently mandatory that we follow the WARTS format for briefings.

W - weather/winds
Takeoff mins/alternate
Cold weather ops
Windshear
RTO reason/plan/duties
MEL review
Runway length
Surface conditions
T - taxi plan/terrain
Runway change plan
Terrain
Automation use
Single engine procedure
Company pages
Flight plan remarks
Airport/SID NOTAMs
Quite extensive. How long does it typically take to complete that briefing?

Ours is fairly similar to Jordan’s, and it takes about one minute. That’s actually a long time to talk.

Around a minute maybe a little less. Depending on the flight some of the stuff in WARTS does not apply. If it’s a VFR day, you don’t need to brief a low vis taxi plan. If it’s summer, you don’t need to brief cold weather ops. You tailor the brief to every flight.

My thinking was along these lines: "Lined up for takeoff, gauges in the green, I will lose an engine before rotation speed and get on the brakes;" "Made it to rotation speed, liftoff, I will lose an engine before I reach 100 feet and land straight ahead;" "Through 100 feet, climbing, I will lose an engine before 1000 feet and pick a soft spot within 45 degrees of straight ahead." "Made it to 1000 feet, alive and well; if I lose one now I will secure it and maneuver back to land." (I have landed with one feathered, so I know whereof I speak.)

Bob

"Any problems before V1, we'll keep it on the ground. Afterwards it's an inflight emergency. We'll take up in the air, identify, verify and run the checklist as able. If necessary, we'll bring it around VFR and land."

In the event of IFR weather an appropriate approach will be selected with the option of a contact approach if there's adequate visibility.

Your briefing is what I aspire to. But I've got to work on it. Ideally, I'd also be sure to think about where in that 60 arc I'd head given the particular airport. I don't think about this as much as I should.

I have a traditional saying of “well, made it back alive again” after shutting off the plane. I don’t think everyone likes it, but I’ll keep saying it anyway.

“Committed flagrant acts of aviation and lived to fly another day.”

W - weather/winds
Takeoff mins/alternate
Cold weather ops
Windshear
RTO reason/plan/duties
MEL review
Runway length
Surface conditions
T - taxi plan/terrain
Runway change plan
Terrain
Automation use
Single engine procedure
Company pages
Flight plan remarks
Airport/SID NOTAMs

The FAs have HERPES:

Have
Every
Response from
Passengers in an
Egress
Seat

LOL. I made that up but it goes with your warts.

e63bb50c3bf0c1f823f0409ffad9089f.jpg

Your briefing is what I aspire to. But I've got to work on it. Ideally, I'd also be sure to think about where in that 60 arc I'd head given the particular airport. I don't think about this as much as I should.

It is useful to go to a site like aopa.org (Google Earth is not as detailed) to get an overhead look at the airport environment. No power, 100 feet up is not the time to learn what the airport surroundings look like.

Bob

Mine's a variation on that... "Cheated death yet again!"

[nervous chuckle from passenger]

Back