C172 from Los Angeles to Monterey KMRY - Any advice?

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
I'm planning to fly a C172S up to Monterey KMRY next week from Los Angeles KVNY.
I've flown many times to KSBA and once to KSBP but never any further north.

Living in SoCal I'm familiar with the marine layer pattern so will keep an eye on the forecast and plan to arrive there just after midday.

I'd like to fly along the Big Sur coastline if the restricted area isn't active - or is it best to fly along the 101 freeway?

Any other advice for Monterey? What are my best alternate airports in the area?

Many thanks...

I’m an East coaster so no clue. But bring a camera or a GoPro as that is going to be one beautiful ride!!!

There are basically no options along the coast if your engine quits. Lots of water and waves bashing against cliffs. It was beautiful the one time I flew there but I always follow 101 now.

There are basically no options along the coast if your engine quits. Lots of water and waves bashing against cliffs. It was beautiful the one time I flew there but I always follow 101 now.
On the other hand, probably less turbulence over the ocean if the winds are flowing on-shore.

The restricted airspace isn’t an issue along the coastline...that is an MOA. Restricted is further inland. It would be worth your while to inquire wether there’s any activity in those. Otherwise, as others have said, the coastline is beautiful, just fewer landng options. Otherwise, just follow the general route of the 101, which is also nice scenery.

Thanks.

What about alternate airports in the area? Are there any airports in the area which get less of the marine layer?

Anything inland, SLS might be a thought, also keep a eye out for the wildlife areas and the DZs

Personally I prefer flying along the coast

The coastal route does have good scenery, but options are few if the engine conks out. I’ve flown many times from NorCal to the LA area and back. I usually file IFR because it’s so much easier to deal with the LA airspace that way. No Bravo to worry about. I’ve only done the costal route once, and there are really few options is something bad happens. Except for that one flight, I always tend to fly more inland to keep my options open.

If I were going to be making this flight in a 172, I’d want to stay away from the higher terrain and make sure I had options if the engine conks out (Not saying anything about 172s’ engines, just general risk mitigation practices)

Consider something like the following:

KVNY RZS KSMX PRB BRALY HAGRO KMRY

Maybe fly at 6500 feet? The highest elevation along this route is around 4000.

Keeps you near the coast for the first bit, keeps airports fairly nearby, keeps you away from the higher terrain, and keeps you out of the MOAs and Restricted areas. And you’ll basically be following 101 (note, not _the 101_, just 101) from Paso Robles onward.

34e762cf840cba319e51aa25ed3bc36f.png

Also, we always park at the Monterey Jet Center when we visit. They’ve recently put a time limt on their crew cars, but they have also gotten rid of the minmum fee. Friendy folk See if they’ll comp you a Monterey Jet Center tee shirt.

The marine layer can be an issue if you aren’t IFR rated. Salinas may be CAVU even if KMRY is socked in. If Salinas doesn’t work, Reid Hillview (KRHV) or San Jose (KSJC) are likely to be clear.

For a little more scenic route, for the first part, you can do something like:

KVNY VTU RZS GVO MQO PRB BRALY HAGRO KMRY

Still plenty of airports nearby on the first leg, and you’re over the coast longer. This route also takes you closer to Morro Bay. You can see the rock at Morro Bay and the rest of the seven sisters chain of extinct volcanos leading inland from the rock.

8e78cbc7fad83194da495416f9aee0f8.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agree with jimhorner and the general advice here. Especially this time if year with the marine layer, you probably won’t see much of Big Sur and the coastline. There are no alternates and very few spots to out her down in an emergency. I’d go the 101 route via SAn Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, King City and Salinas. It’s actually a very scenic route.

I always use Del Monte Aviation. Great service, crew cars, decent fuel prices and free ice cream.

Have fun and share pictures!

The coastal route does have good scenery, but options are few if the engine conks out. I’ve flown many times from NorCal to the LA area and back. I usually file IFR because it’s so much easier to deal with the LA airspace that way. No Bravo to worry about. I’ve only done the costal route once, and there are really few options is something bad happens. Except for that one flight, I always tend to fly more inland to keep my options open.

If I were going to be making this flight in a 172, I’d want to stay away from the higher terrain and make sure I had options if the engine conks out (Not saying anything about 172s’ engines, just general risk mitigation practices)

Consider something like the following:

KVNY RZS KSMX PRB BRALY HAGRO KMRY

Maybe fly at 6500 feet? The highest elevation along this route is around 4000.

Keeps you near the coast for the first bit, keeps airports fairly nearby, keeps you away from the higher terrain, and keeps you out of the MOAs and Restricted areas. And you’ll basically be following 101 (note, not _the 101_, just 101) from Paso Robles onward.

34e762cf840cba319e51aa25ed3bc36f.png

Also, we always park at the Monterey Jet Center when we visit. They’ve recently put a time limt on their crew cars, but they have also gotten rid of the minmum fee. Friendy folk See if they’ll comp you a Monterey Jet Center tee shirt.

The marine layer can be an issue if you aren’t IFR rated. Salinas may be CAVU even if KMRY is socked in. If Salinas doesn’t work, Reid Hillview (KRHV) or San Jose (KSJC) are likely to be clear.

For a little more scenic route, for the first part, you can do something like:

KVNY VTU RZS GVO MQO PRB BRALY HAGRO KMRY

Still plenty of airports nearby on the first leg, and you’re over the coast longer. This route also takes you closer to Morro Bay. You can see the rock at Morro Bay and the rest of the seven sisters chain of extinct volcanos leading inland from the rock.

8e78cbc7fad83194da495416f9aee0f8.png

One of the reasons I prefer the coast is incase of a engine out, land on the beach.

One of the reasons I prefer the coast is incase of a engine out, land on the beach.

What beach? From Morro Bay north to Monterey, there is precious little beach. In most of that area, there are steep cliffs which go down to the rock filled ocean. No real beach to speak of there. If something happens in that region, the choices are going to be a crash in the Big Sur mountains or a ditching in the cold pacific (we have lots of great whites ya know) followed by a swim to where the cliffs meet the ocean, follwed by an arduous climb (several hundred feet) up to highway 1. Take a look at this area on Google Earth or Google maps. There really isn’t much of a beach there at all.

I’d much rather have all those flat farm fields and fairly abundant airports on the inland route along 101.

What beach? From Morro Bay north to Monterey, there is precious little beach. In most of that area, there are steep cliffs which go down to the rock filled ocean. No real beach to speak of there. If something happens in that region, the choices are going to be a crash in the Big Sur mountains or a ditching in the cold pacific (we have lots of great whites ya know) followed by a swim to where the cliffs meet the ocean, follwed by an arduous climb (several hundred feet) up to highway 1. Take a look at this area on Google Earth or Google maps. There really isn’t much of a beach there at all.

I’d much rather have all those flat farm fields and fairly abundant airports on the inland route along 101.

For sure there are areas with no good beach, just as there are areas on your route with no good landing spots too, another factor is also knowing that you're over somewhere where 0 on the altimeter is 0 AGL, it's not as easy a call IMO

For sure there are areas with no good beach, just as there are areas on your route with no good landing spots too, another factor is also knowing that you're over somewhere where 0 on the altimeter is 0 AGL, it's not as easy a call IMO

Guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree about this. On my route the worst case distance from an airport is about 17miles (the segment from Oxnard to San Marcus). On the part of the route following 101 vs flying over thge coast, there are many, many more options, either airports or any of the many farm fields along that stretch of 101.

Are you local to California? Have you flown this route much, or are you just speculating? I’ve made about 30-40 trips from NorCal to Socal since I bought my plane 6 years ago. I can speak from experience that I would give much better odds of making a successful off airport landing on my route than flying on the coast in the area between Morro Bay and Monterey. The Big Sur area has very few good options for a positive outcome. I’d much rather take my chances inland.

Guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree about this. On my route the worst case distance from an airport is about 17miles (the segment from Oxnard to San Marcus). On the part of the route following 101 vs flying over thge coast, there are many, many more options, either airports or any of the many farm fields along that stretch of 101.

Are you local to California? Have you flown this route much, or are you just speculating? I’ve made about 30-40 trips from NorCal to Socal since I bought my plane 6 years ago. I can speak from experience that I would give much better odds of making a successful off airport landing on my route than flying on the coast in the area between Morro Bay and Monterey. The Big Sur area has very few good options for a positive outcome. I’d much rather take my chances inland.

Born there, lived there for quite awhile. SoCal to the central coast, also landed on beaches before (of course not in Kalifornia)

I fly that almost every 2-3 weeks from KWVI to SoCal and back. My preferred route is to literally just follow 101 all the way up via SBA. If you want scenic you can just fly the coast but engine outs are indeed limited, 101 is my night time safety route since there are so many airports along the way and you are not over any crazy terrain.

If you are lower and taking 101, about 4-5 miles before SBA you will see a dip in the mountain range and you can cut direct PBR up the valley shaving a few min off vs tracking 101 N of SBA then over.

When I am on a scenic flight...we fly the coast and just dodge R
Typical flight is 5500-8500' along 101
If I wanna just get there I climb 10-12K and go direct GMN, but I seem to always hit severe up and down drafts through there all the time. Not advisable in a 172 if the winds aloft at peak heights are rippn 20K+

OAR is next closest, but if MRY is socked in usually so is OAR. SNS will be your next closest Uber ride then WVI. All else will be a trek.

Last edited:
From VNY, grab FF at 6500 and route something like CMA-GVO-KSMX-PRB-BRALY-HAGRO-KMRY. Use KSNS as the "alternate" if marine layer becomes a concern, though KMRY is not terrible for the layer itself - especially later in the day. KMRY is a Class C, so you have to talk to NorCal at some point, so you shouldn't shy away from FF. Keep in mind that KMRY often likes to bring you in straight in over the mountains, so be ready to tell them you want to go around the way via HAGRO.

I personally dislike flying over RZS, unless I'm going to IZA, cause I often find it bumpier than GVO. I definitely wouldn't fly RZS-GVO - that's a long ridge line and masochistic from a turbulence POV.

I'd only fly over the coast in a twin or turbine.

Not on that route. Between GVO/RZS and MRY is tons of open land as well as some nicely spaced airports.

Consider landing at KOAR Marina instead. It's 2 mins flying time and 10 mins by car away from KMRY, and there are no landing fees and the overnight transient charge is like $5. 100LL is about $4.60 a gallon. Salinas KSNS is 15 minutes away from Monterey as another low cost option with more services.

At least take a Cherokee and go faster! Lol

The advantages to the SR22 are many. It would take only half the time and the autopilot can fly you in air conditioned comfort the whole way while you gaze at the beautiful California coast line. In the event of an engine failure you will float gingerly down to the sea while considering what option package you will install on the brand new cirrus your insurance company is about to buy you!

Just flew it this weekend, from Temecula, CA to Watsonville (just north of Monterey). Actually, I flew F70, EMT, GMN, WVI, and back, which is more inland. I flew this route only because it was the most direct route. About 2 hours in my Comanche, especially with the nice tailwinds.

I prefer to flight plan with options, even though I know engine failure is highly unlikely.

If you have not flown the coastal route, do it. It is spectacular. Sure, there are stretches that are less hospitable, but most of the route, you will have options. I consider ditching in the water my least favorite, but an option. You will want to circle the Hearst Castle, see the rock at Morrow Bay, fly over Pebble Beach, etc., etc. This, only if the coast is clear of marine layer.

My biggest concern this time of year is the marine layer. When I flew into WVI on Fri night, around 8pm, I had to get a pop-up clearance for 1,000' ceilings. Usually, Monterey is worse (it was), and sometimes Salinas will be clear. RHV is a decent alternate. I prefer Del Monte at MRY.

I have flown over GMN many times, and only on a few occasions have I experienced close to Moderate turb. I was expecting it yesterday (airmet Tango for mod., but more times than not, they are not correct), and it was smooth (7:15 ish pm), even though the tailwinds were 38kts and above. I was at 9500', though. My Comanche's performance capability allows me some great options.

I had a friend that passed away from cancer at age 42. Before she passed, I flew her to Napa, along the coast. She cried, saying it was one the coolest things she had ever done. Flying the coast, is only slightly more dangerous than flying, imo.

Have a great trip.

The advantages to the SR22 are many. It would take only half the time and the autopilot can fly you in air conditioned comfort the whole way while you gaze at the beautiful California coast line. In the event of an engine failure you will float gingerly down to the sea while considering what option package you will install on the brand new cirrus your insurance company is about to buy you!

I got a traffic advisory from SoCal the other day. I was flying a Tiger and there was a 172 at the same altitude. 12-1, 5 miles, Cessna 172, you're 30 knots faster. I was nice and went up to 5500. LOL.

Also, from what I understand, those chute "landings" aren't exactly ginger.

If you fly along the coast from Santa Barbara to Morrow Bay, keep in mind that the Vandenberg launch site restricted area R-2516 is always hot. The others are almost always cold on the weekend. During the week the other restricted areas are sometimes cold.

Back